Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
It was a good angle but they were always there to be fed to Cena and honestly I don't think there is anything wrong with that. The top guy always needs new guys to work with and the Nexus guys hit the jackpot by getting to work with Cena. Barrett and Bryan aside, none of them were in the same league as Cena. They were never going to go that far, especially with the eventual return of The Rock coming up and then the rise of CM Punk.

They were just a nice distraction for Cena while other people got to fight for the WWE Title. And as good as Barrett was, The Miz was still a better option to carry the WWE Title into Mania.

·
Registered
542 Posts
One caveat to this is circumstance and it could have panned out so differently.
A few things:

Daniel Bryan being fired - as noted the most talented of the group having to be storyline kicked out and then return against the nexus. Circumstance dictated this a bit..

They should have won at Summerslam 2010 (allegedly this was plan until Cena asked to change as losing would make him look weak) LOL.

Culling members frequently - Darren Young being the first immediately after Summerslam, maybe the wrong choice - should have been Michael Tarver instead if they had to get rid of anyone. Although they should have kept the numbers up so that they could remain dominant.

Circumstance 2 - Skip Sheffield/Ryback breaking his leg at a house show - the muscle of the group gone only days after Darren Young had been kicked out, suddenly 7 members down to 5.

Barrett should have beat Cena at TLC 2010 - he had lost a number of matches against Orton for the title so had no momentum, didn't make sense for him to lose to Cena in a no DQ match when he had 4 other members of the group that could have intervened.

They all but killed it soon after when CM Punk took over who didn't need a stable at that point. Barrett was exiled to Smackdown and formed the Corre with Gabriel and Slater who walked out on the new nexus. CM Punk moved on to Cena and that whole storyline and group quietly disbanded without ever being mentioned again.

From what could have been a really exciting angle, WWE dropped the ball pretty much from start to finish. TNA re-hashed a similar angle a couple of years later with the Aces and Eights which was a lot better than the Nexus was - which is really saying something!
Good post.

The Nexus angle had a lot of problems.

A lot of people contribute it solely to Cena. But they could easily have rebounded from that.
But they lost a lot of member too quickly, and the writing became more and more all over the place (Cena as their servant, the bigger picture).

I honestly also think they were slightly overhyped. Fantastic debut, but I think the group would have failed anyhow.

Darren young: Never went anywhere
Heath slater: Jobber for years
Michael Tarver: Did he do anything after leaving?
David Otunga: Never went anywhere
Justin Gabriel: Never went anywhere
Skip Sheffield: Had more succes as Ryback. But seemed to lose steam quickly during his last years in wwe
Barrett: Multiple mid/upper midcard pushes. Never seemed to break the glass ceiling.
Bryan: Biggest success of the original Nexus. But he was already super established from his prior work, and was harsly part of the group.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Good post.

A lot of people contribute it solely to Cena. But they could easily have rebounded from that.
But they lost a lot of member too quickly, and the writing became more and more all over the place (Cena as their servant, the bigger picture).

I honestly also think they were slightly overhyped. Fantastic debut, but I think the group would have failed anyhow.

Skip Sheffield: Had more succes as Ryback. But seemed to lose steam quickly during his last years in wwe
Barrett: Multiple mid/upper midcard pushes. Never seemed to break the glass ceiling.
Bryan: Biggest success of the original Nexus. But he was already super established from his prior work, and was harsly part of the group.
Ryback had good fueds with CM Punk, The Shield, and Cena in 2012-2013 but I can't think of much else besides that. Oh, and there was also RybAxel.

Barrett was the leader of The Corre and had a good feud with Randy Orton in 2011-2012, but I can't think of anything else memorable besides that.

Bryan's time in the shield was short lived, and like you said he happened to have the most successful singles career of all the original Nexus members. That makes me wonder if he would have had as much success if he had stayed in the Nexus.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
One caveat to this is circumstance and it could have panned out so differently.
A few things:

Daniel Bryan being fired - as noted the most talented of the group having to be storyline kicked out and then return against the nexus. Circumstance dictated this a bit..

They should have won at Summerslam 2010 (allegedly this was plan until Cena asked to change as losing would make him look weak) LOL.

Culling members frequently - Darren Young being the first immediately after Summerslam, maybe the wrong choice - should have been Michael Tarver instead if they had to get rid of anyone. Although they should have kept the numbers up so that they could remain dominant.

Circumstance 2 - Skip Sheffield/Ryback breaking his leg at a house show - the muscle of the group gone only days after Darren Young had been kicked out, suddenly 7 members down to 5.

Barrett should have beat Cena at TLC 2010 - he had lost a number of matches against Orton for the title so had no momentum, didn't make sense for him to lose to Cena in a no DQ match when he had 4 other members of the group that could have intervened.

They all but killed it soon after when CM Punk took over who didn't need a stable at that point. Barrett was exiled to Smackdown and formed the Corre with Gabriel and Slater who walked out on the new nexus. CM Punk moved on to Cena and that whole storyline and group quietly disbanded without ever being mentioned again.

From what could have been a really exciting angle, WWE dropped the ball pretty much from start to finish. TNA re-hashed a similar angle a couple of years later with the Aces and Eights which was a lot better than the Nexus was - which is really saying something!
It was basically Invasion 2.0 and it could have been much better than the original Invasion angle, but yes...WWE dropped the ball again.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Everyone wanted Cena to join and turn heel.... it probably would’ve done nothing for ratings and in hindsight they did with Cena what they should have

Nexus sucked after the initial introduction. Wade Barrett was a midcarder at best.... but man, I wish the old posts from this forum were more easily accessible. According to WF he was a stud that was being buried by Cena. Realistically, he sucked and was horrible and was just another product of awful WWE in the 21st century

edit: ryback could have been something as a heel bc everyone hated him for being bald and wearing RVD gear. That was when smark era took over, I think

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was always curious about how much they sell at merchandise, because at the time if you look at the crowds, they were filled by Nexus t-shirts or armbands especially in the 20-40 demo that didnt like Cena.

·
Angry at refs
3,002 Posts
All of them except Bryan and Barrett sucked. That being said, WWE could have very easily made them a credible threat.
It still pisses me off that they buried BNB for getting over with the fans as a heel.

·
Premium Member
43,906 Posts
It started hot. I had my doubts about it as most of those guys were green as grass, but it started off with a hot angle and it felt like it had potential.

But then Cena beat them at Summerslam and that pretty much derailed the whole thing. Could you imagine the nWo straight up losing their first match at Bash at the Beach 96?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good post.

Perhaps the plan may have been to push them strong but after seeing what they were working with maybe they changed course? Although this would have been stupid as they would have had ample opportunity to see them week to week in FCW and the original format of NXT.

But of those names above i don't think all of them would have been expected to all be big players.

Barrett had mic skills and was solid in the ring, Daniel Bryan obviously. I think they had big plans for Ryback initially which fizzled out for one reason or another. Theres 3 - the rest probably would be expected to be mid-card or jobbers. Justin Gabriel was a solid hand in the ring, didn't have the promo to boot however. Vince doesnt like southern guys so that was Heath resigned to being a jobber despite being entertaining. Darren Young was a good hand in the tag division with Titus O'Neil. Otunga and Tarver were meh and apparently Otunga was only ever kept around because of his relationship with Jennifer Hudson.

·
Registered
11,610 Posts
Of course Nexus angle never happens if Batista, HBK don't retire and Taker and HHH are on TV weekly. WWE lost 3/4 of their mainevent from previous 5 years by April 2010 so were scrambling trying to fill spots...that usually never works out well.

We see how tough that was when something similar happened in 2014 and the Shield guys were not ready for mainevent singles spot that had been left due to Cena, Bryan and Punks departures. Shield had already been 18 months in main roster, were more experienced than Nexus and more talented yet still struggled at times to adapt to top roles.

·
Registered
140 Posts
On hindsight, Nexus was never to become a great faction. Sure, they made a great impact because of the perfectly executed debut, but in the end only Barrett and Bryan would’ve made the cut. Cena saw that and ended it almost singlehandedly.
They should’ve used to faction to elevate Barrett to a credible heel and eventually Bryan in a credible babyface, but they messed up the story and focussed on the wrong aspects. The focussed on looking Cena like superman instead of the faction itself.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,284 Posts
Unpopular opinion, but look at the members and you have your answer why it was so short lived. Besides Bryan none of them screamed WWE top star. Wade could probably have been something, but he was from England, and they never make it really big in WWE for some reason, and he had a tendency to get injured all the time.. Which is strange, considering how he used to be a bare knuckle fighter.
Husky Harris only got a second chance because he´s the son of IRS.
If they should have had a chance, they needed another leader but at the time there was no one new who could work a mic like Wade Barrett available.
Well to be fair, Ryback was on the cusp of being a Star until CM Punk and The Shield jobbed him out repeatedly.

Slater was fun and made everything he was given work, which is the worst thing you can do in the WWE.

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Looking back the whole idea of strapping a rocket on a bunch of rookies was pretty bold but it was never going to last. None of them were ready and it was obvious they were only given the push so Cena could have new opponents.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, they could have given the title to Barrett just to see if worked, they did that to Sheamus one year early, and Wade was better on the mic.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts