Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sgt. Pepper
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a silly question, if Shawn Michaels, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall and HHH are all such very close friends....why didn't Michaels and HHH follow suit and join Nash and Hall in WCW?

Were they still under contract or were they just scared to leave WWE? Even if the were under contract, I wonder why HHH and Michaels didn't eventually jump ship to WCW.

Did Michaels or HHH ever do a shoot interview explaining why they decided to stay?

·
WEF's #1 Oz Mark
11,119 Posts
I watched a shoot interview featuring Kevin Nash a few days ago. He was asked if Shawn Michaels ever planned to come to WCW. Nash laughed and said that he never talked about it. So, I don't know, Shawn Michaels seems pretty loyal to me. Triple H was supposed to win the King of the Ring this year, so... I don't think he ever considered going to WCW.

·
You are being watched
5,683 Posts
I watched a shoot interview featuring Kevin Nash a few days ago. He was asked if Shawn Michaels ever planned to come to WCW. Nash laughed and said that he never talked about it. So, I don't know, Shawn Michaels seems pretty loyal to me. Triple H was supposed to win the King of the Ring this year, so... I don't think he ever considered going to WCW.
Why didn't he?

·
WEF's #1 Oz Mark
11,119 Posts
Why didn't he?
Well, he didn't win the King of the Ring Tournament in 1996 as a punishment for the MSG Incident. But that's a pretty good thing, since Stone Cold Steve Austin became a huge superstar after winning the KOTR. And HHH won the Tournament in 1997, anyway.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I think because shaun was the star at that time in vinces eyes so why would he bother

·
Registered
813 Posts
Triple H had already been in WCW. He supposedly asked for a push and they told him no, so he left. So clearly he wasn't going back two years later.

·
A superhero that saves your GF from your sex game.
3,830 Posts
Shawn was the star of the company at the time so why would he leave that?? I don't think HHH ever thought about it otherwise he would've left during the time they were punishing him for the whole thing.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,600 Posts
According to Shawn Micheals(from his book anyway) He contemplated going to WCW and joining Nash and Hall there, but Vince talked him out of it saying that he wouldn't be used proberly if he went, and how bad the politics was. Don't know if it is legit or what but that's what he said.

As for Triple H, well since he came from WCW himself, he was proberly aware of what WCW politics was like, or proberly had a bad taste for WCW so he decided on staying in WWE, and boy was he right to.

On the otherhand maybe they just didn't want to go

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
The only time that Shawn Michaels ever considered going to WCW was after his real life backstage fight with Bret Hart in mid 1997 before the King of the Ring PPV which is why we never saw Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart have their planned WrestleMania 12 rematch at that PPV. Shawn Michaels himself has said that at that point he considered leaving because he knew that he and Bret Hart couldn't work in the same company because of the real life heat between them getting to a point where people backstage were afraid to talk to either man for fear of getting caught up in the feud.

That is why Shawn Michaels was off tv for a few weeks and then came back and Vince McMahon booked a match between Shawn Michaels and Stone Cold Steve Austin at of King of the Ring in 1997 instead of Michaels/Hart, Vince McMahon then decided that he wanted to have a properly done edgy style product and that Shawn Michaels would turn heel at SummerSlam which caused more problems backstage because at this point Bret Hart was the top heel in WWE. Bret Hart was worried that Shawn Michaels was going to steal his heat and that if he were to turn back face so that Michaels/Hart could happen it wouldn't work because Bret Hart's whole heel run was based around a hatred towards America which is where he mainly wrestled, Bret Hart can be seen talking about this in Walking With Shadows.

In reality though what happened at Madison Square Garden changed WWE forever because it broke kayfabe and allowed more reality in storylines and booking which is why so many people were so into the feud between Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart because they could see the real life hatred between them. It also allowed Stone Cold Steve Austin to take Triple H's spot as the winner of King of the Ring that year as Triple H punishment for "The Curtain Call" was losing his place as winner that year and Stone Cold Steve Austin never looked back from winning King of the Ring that year.

Originally according to Stone Cold Steve Austin he was never meant to be anymore than a upper mid card wrestler who would move up to the main event scene when a main event wrestler needed putting over but never be WWE champion because Vince McMahon never saw him as that high up the card. Luckily though the events of "The Curtain Call" not only changed WWE forever but also wrestling because Stone Cold Steve Austin had arrived and began to take over the wrestling business for the next six years as the biggest star in the industry and we also saw a change in WWE production with more realism and adult themed storylines all born from Madison Square Garden.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Triple H had already been in WCW. He supposedly asked for a push and they told him no,
there was probably a very good reason for that aswell

oh the irony is just divine

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
At the time, I doubt WCW even wanted Triple H. They already had an extremely bloated roster and Triple H was a lower midcarder with a silly gimmick.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
there was probably a very good reason for that aswell

oh the irony is just divine
Actually his dream was always to work for the WWF and Vince but he wanted to get some experience first, that's why he went to WCW. He got there, saw what a shambles the place was, how poorly it was run, got a call from WWF asking him to jump ship and he took it. He uses the example of them telling him to cut a promo in French because that was his gimmick and because he had a French last name when he couldn't speak a word of it. The choice was an easy one imo.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
The Clique pretty much control WWF at that time because of star power and a cancer to WWF. Shawn Micheals was the the champion- main face of WWF when Hall and Nash left WWF and Vince can't do anything to shawn much but to keep him happy stay on main event. you have to know that The punishment will have impact on the WWF's future. HHH had been booked to win the King of the Ring tournament and the incident force the WWF to change the booking. The King of the Ring title go to Steve Austin with his win (and subsequent "Austin 3:16" speech) started his rise toward mainstream superstardom, make an impact on locker room and influence and helped the WWF defeat WCW in their business wars. according to JR and others Vince didn't see anything in foley especial Steve Austin not until Austin give a UNSCRIPTED-UNAPPROVED PROMO at King of The Ring and it go so hot so Vince decide give it a go more edgy products, Vince sent memo out to all wrestlers said that only "Stone Cold" steve austin allow to swear on TV.

At WM14 Steve Austin was hot became the face of WWF business turnaround and from there Shawn losing power have to job and drop the title to Austin. Doesn't matter if Shawn Fake injury or not but he have to get the job done. Shawn have Fake injury to Bret Hart who put Steve Austin on the map and have a great match with The Rock which he very thankful-alot of respect toward Bret till this day. According to Undertaker if Shawn didn't drop the title it gonna be a long night for Shawn.

·
Registered
21,634 Posts
I've heard a story where HBK apparently wanted to jump ship to WCW but I don't know how accurate that it but HHH had just come from WCW a few years before and he was mid-push in the WWE at the time so it would have been career suicide for him to jump over to WCW at that time.

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
The Clique pretty much control WWF at that time because of star power and a cancer to WWF. Shawn Micheals was the the champion- main face of WWF when Hall and Nash left WWF and Vince can't do anything to shawn much but to keep him happy stay on main event. you have to know that The punishment will have impact on the WWF's future. HHH had been booked to win the King of the Ring tournament and the incident force the WWF to change the booking. The King of the Ring title go to Steve Austin with his win (and subsequent "Austin 3:16" speech) started his rise toward mainstream superstardom, make an impact on locker room and influence and helped the WWF defeat WCW in their business wars. according to JR and others Vince didn't see anything in foley especial Steve Austin not until Austin give a UNSCRIPTED-UNAPPROVED PROMO at King of The Ring and it go so hot so Vince decide give it a go more edgy products, Vince sent memo out to all wrestlers said that only "Stone Cold" steve austin allow to swear on TV.

At WM14 Steve Austin was hot became the face of WWF business turnaround and from there Shawn losing power have to job and drop the title to Austin. Doesn't matter if Shawn Fake injury or not but he have to get the job done. Shawn have Fake injury to Bret Hart who put Steve Austin on the map and have a great match with The Rock which he very thankful-alot of respect toward Bret till this day. According to Undertaker if Shawn didn't drop the title it gonna be a long night for Shawn.
Not exactly true. Bret and Shawn also swore a lot after that.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
HHH have contract with WCW for 1 year and they got nothing for him so they let him go. HHH went to WWF with his Lame Grimmick stay in Mid-card and jobbing to Ultimate Warrior about 2-3 mins match. the greatest moment for HHH is cheat on Chyna and date with the boss daughter Stephanie Mcmahon.

·
Missy
1,281 Posts
HHH have contract with WCW for 1 year and they got nothing for him so they let him go. HHH went to WWF with his Lame Grimmick stay in Mid-card and jobbing to Ultimate Warrior about 2-3 mins match. the greatest moment for HHH is cheat on Chyna and date with the boss daughter Stephanie Mcmahon.
He wasn't let go. He left on his own accord because WWE gave him the call.

He was offered a contract extension by Bischoff but Hunter told him he was going to WWE. Bischoff then proceeded to tell him he was making the biggest mistake of his life and that he would never amount to anything in WWE and that WWE would be going out of business in a few months.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
i might be wrong but clearly WCW have nothing for HHH and Eric Bischoff didn't see him that he could became a star which and pretty much they use him as jobber only appeared on TV few times and one PPV.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
First and foremost, HHH was being lined up for big things and HBK was already the top guy. That probably was the main reason - but to speculate further - the guys were probably tied down to contracts anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts