• Other (Please state)

Votes: 3 5.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching the ending last night, and seeing them blatantly attempt to duplicate the NWO/Outsiders angle yet again, i think the NWO/Outsiders stuff is the most influential angle ever. TBH as far as influecing the direction of pro-wrestling i've never really thought it was as important as Hogan/Andre (How often has the whole "Super-heroe babyface vs Unstoppable Big guy" been done again?) or Austin/Mcmahon (Again, how many times has the "Boss vs Rebelious employee" been done again?) or even Hogan/Warrior (And again, "Monster Face vs Monster Face", it's done time & time again), but so often the general lay-out to the whole angle basically seems to be done everytime WWE (And now, TNA) need to try and get some excitement around the product these days. Not to mention it pretty much opened up the door to a more adult-based show which the WWF took advantage of with the Attitude Era. Having said that you could probably make claims for the other ones i mentioned and even a few more.

So yeah, what do you think??

·
Registered
186 Posts
For me its Austin/Mcmahon.....I'd go as far to say it was the best fued of all time. As a child I thought for years Mcmahon was just an announcer. Then he was the main guy who pulled all the strings and then Austin was just like....no no I pull all the strings. The games they played on each other were brilliant. And respect to Mcmahon the guy didnt mind taking a beating and he took it well...employee fights authoirty figure is the working mans dream! it also meant lots of $$$

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
nWo/WCW, if it wasn't for that storyline, there would be no Austin/Mcmahon, simple as that.
and Austin and Vince are two of my all time favorites, nWo vs WCW is the correct answer.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,027 Posts
As far as most influencial go. You'd have to look at the impact it had on the business. NWO and Austin/McMahon were certainly influencial but let's be honest here. Hogan/Andre was what put everything on the map. Vince McMahon even said it himself, that he gambled everything he had on that match, and while it certainly wasn't great by wrestling standards, it became iconic because it set everything in motion. Hogan became the Immortal Hulk Hogan and the match so huge. So i'd go with Hogan/Andre.

·
Registered
690 Posts
NWO and it's not even close. It's the template for every 'rebellion' angle, along with 'outsider vs. authority figure'. You can see shades of it in McMahon vs. Austin, the Invasion Angle, the Nexus, and the Miz/Truth angle, for a recent example.

·
Registered
928 Posts
nWo vs WCW set the stage for the basic heel stable vs. rest of the locker room. It has been imitated over and over again from the Ministry to the Invasion down to the Nexus.

·
Banned
1,760 Posts
First off that came before the AE second that wasn't a storyline. Unless you were kidding then in that case carry on.
First off, yes it was, second the actual screwjob is what legit catapulted DX into huge popularity. The Hart Foundation vs DX feud got it all started.

·
Registered
928 Posts
First off, yes it was, second the actual screwjob is what legit catapulted DX into huge popularity. The Hart Foundation vs DX feud got it all started.
No it wasn't the AE started on March 1998 when SCSA won the title from HBK. The Screwjob was Survivor Series 1997. It's close and yes it could called the start of the shift to the AE but it wasn't part of it.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'm still trying to get over the fact that you think the ending of HiaC is a rip-off of the Outsiders for some reason.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts