Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Likes wrestling....
10,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the US Title vs Intercontinental Title thread got me thinking.

If you were to rank the top ten most important wrestling titles US/Canada only what would you say over the course of American history they are? I'll let you wade through the lineages the way you like.

To me,
1. NWA World Heavyweight Title
2. WWF World Heavyweight Title
3. AWA World Heavyweight Title
4. WCW World Heavyweight Championship
5. The World Heavyweight Championship (WWE)
6. WWF Intercontinental Title
6. NWA United States Title
7. Missouri State Heavyweight Title
8. UWF Heavyweight Championship
9. NWA Television Title
10. Southern Heavyweight Title

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I'm with you on the first four.

2. WWWF World Heavyweight Title
3. AWA World Heavyweight title
4. WCW World Heavyweight Title
5. NWA United States Title
6. NWA United States Tag Team Title
7. NWA Women's Title
8. NWA TV Title
9. NWA Texas Title
10.WWA World Title

- Mike

Reactions: GL

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
3,170 Posts
My list will be very similar, how ever my knowledge is limited to what I've read and seen in YouTube/DVDs

1-NWA World Championship
2-WWF world Championship
3-AWA world Championship
4-WCW World Championship
5-NWA National Championship
6-World Heavywieght WWE
7-WWF Intercontinental
8-NWA United States
9-Mid Atlantic Heavywieght
10-NWA Tag Team Championship

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
2. WWF World Heavyweight Title
3. AWA World Heavyweight Title
4. WCW World Heavyweight Championship
5. TNA X-division Championship instead of The World Heavyweight Championship (WWE). For me, it kind of carved a niche being an open title for high flyers, risk takers and stood on it's own during its peak esp with the no limits clause.
6. WWF Intercontinental Title (Patterson to Savage to Perfect made this title legendary)
7. WWF Tag team titles gained some footing on it's own during 3D vs Hardy vs E&C
8. WWF Hardcore championship - (made for some great tv and wonderful entertainment)
9. WWF women's championship - The one that traces back to Moolah, not the dumb Divas one
10. WCW/NWA world tag team championship (traces it's roots to 1975 with everyone from Austin to Road Warriors to Steiners to Bret Hart to Dudleys holding it)

BTW, are tag titles exempt from this?

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
The NWA World Heavyweight Title is the direct descendant from the World Championship that Frank Gotch won from George Hackenschmidt. It's first champion was Orville Brown who was crowned in 1948 shortly after the National Wrestling Alliance came into existence.

Below are photos of the title belts that were worn by NWA champs.

1ST NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE BELT, 1948-1959
First Holder - Orville Brown / Last Holder - Pat O'Connor
[/IMG]

2ND NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE BELT, 1959-1973
Worn by O'Connor, Rogers, Thesz, Kiniski, Funk, Jr., Race

3RD NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE BELT, 1973-1986
First Holder - Harley Race / Last Holder - Ric Flair
[/IMG]

4TH NWA WORLD TITLE BELT, 1986-1993 ***
First Holder - Ric Flair / Last Holder - Ric Flair ***
[/IMG]

5TH NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE BELT, 1994 to Present
First Holder - Shane Douglas
[/IMG]

*** Was known as the WCW World Heavyweight title from January 1991 until July 1991 but kept the NWA World Heavyweight title lineage, the title was stripped from Ric Flair on the 8/9/1991 but the belt was not returned as Jim Herd refused to refund Ric Flairs $25,000 deposit on the belt.

Ric Flair left to go to WWF with the belt and featured on WWF with it declaring it to be the 'real World Heavyweight title'. A cease and desist was sent by the NWA/WCW to which the WWF adhered to. Ric Flair eventually returned the belt following a court case and the NWA/WCW refunding Ric Flair's deposit plus extras (In total $25,000+)

The belt was then used from August 1992 until September 1993 under the agreement NWA and WCW had. During September 1993, WCW seceded from the NWA and used the belt as the WCW International Heavyweight title until 1994 where it returned to use as the WCW World Heavyweight title.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The NWA World Heavyweight Title is the direct descendant from the World Championship that Frank Gotch won from George Hackenschmidt. It's first champion was Orville Brown who was crowned in 1948 shortly after the National Wrestling Alliance came into existence.

Below are photos of the title belts that were worn by NWA champs.

1ST NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE BELT, 1948-1959
First Holder - Orville Brown / Last Holder - Pat O'Connor
[/IMG]

2ND NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE BELT, 1959-1973
Worn by O'Connor, Rogers, Thesz, Kiniski, Funk, Jr., Race

3RD NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE BELT, 1973-1986
First Holder - Harley Race / Last Holder - Ric Flair
[/IMG]

4TH NWA WORLD TITLE BELT, 1986-1993 ***
First Holder - Ric Flair / Last Holder - Ric Flair ***
[/IMG]

5TH NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE BELT, 1994 to Present
First Holder - Shane Douglas
[/IMG]

*** Was known as the WCW World Heavyweight title from January 1991 until July 1991 but kept the NWA World Heavyweight title lineage, the title was stripped from Ric Flair on the 8/9/1991 but the belt was not returned as Jim Herd refused to refund Ric Flairs $25,000 deposit on the belt.

Ric Flair left to go to WWF with the belt and featured on WWF with it declaring it to be the 'real World Heavyweight title'. A cease and desist was sent by the NWA/WCW to which the WWF adhered to. Ric Flair eventually returned the belt following a court case and the NWA/WCW refunding Ric Flair's deposit plus extras (In total $25,000+)

The belt was then used from August 1992 until September 1993 under the agreement NWA and WCW had. During September 1993, WCW seceded from the NWA and used the belt as the WCW International Heavyweight title until 1994 where it returned to use as the WCW World Heavyweight title.

The NWA currently uses the 3rd NWA title as you have posted. I could be wrong but I am not sure if the "shane douglas" title was used for very long at all.
The 1973-1986 is the same title that the NWA currently uses.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
The NWA currently uses the 3rd NWA title as you have posted. I could be wrong but I am not sure if the "shane douglas" title was used for very long at all.
The 1973-1986 is the same title that the NWA currently uses.
Thanks for the clarification. After Harley Race I start to get fuzzy on the title situation (and most everything else :lol). My main area of expertise is in the 1950-1969 time frame.

- Mike

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. After Harley Race I start to get fuzzy on the title situation (and most everything else :lol). My main area of expertise is in the 1950-1969 time frame.

- Mike
LOL no worries, my wrestling knowledge pre-1980's is pitiful. The NWA title has sadly since the early 90's lost almost all of its prestige. The NWA title is currently held by a talented but past his prime midcarder in New Japan.

that said I'd go

1. NWA World title
2. WWF World tile
3. WCW World Title

Note: If this thread had included all promotions I would put the IWGP heavyweight title above WWF and AJPW Triple Crown title above WCW. Biased? maybe but I am an admitted Puro mark lol.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
I want to know why people are putting the WWE World Heavyweight Title above the Intercontinental Championship. Unless you are counting the lineage from WCW and NWA. The list of champions doesn't even compare to the IC head to head. Not to mention IC being around for 36 years and WHC being around for only 11. Not disagreeing, just want to know the reasoning.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I want to know why people are putting the WWE World Heavyweight Title above the Intercontinental Championship. Unless you are counting the lineage from WCW and NWA. The list of champions doesn't even compare to the IC head to head. Not to mention IC being around for 36 years and WHC being around for only 11. Not disagreeing, just want to know the reasoning.
Could you imagine the IC Title being defended in the main event of WM 20, 21 or 24 like the WHC? Neither can I.

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Could you imagine the IC Title being defended in the main event of WM 20, 21 or 24 like the WHC? Neither can I.
In an artificial brand split where there was a second world title "main eventing" another show, and in contention with the WHC on the same WrestleMania. And if we are talking WrestleMania do we really need to bring up the matches the IC championship has had? Really want to go there?

The equivalent of the above would be during the brand split era having the WWE Champion vs the WHC champion in the main event of WM. Can you imagine that? Neither can I.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts