Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do you think WWE decided to rush John Morrison's world title shot? They made a huge deal when he defeated Sheamus for the #1 contendership, but instead of holding the match at the Rumble, they throw it on FIRST on a random Raw, Miz wins, and we end up right back where we started with Miz v. Orton at the Rumble.

Why?

I'm convinced it's because Morrison is winning the Rumble. They changed plans, decided that they would go with him, and held the match early.

What do you think?

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
Probably just an excuse to have Miz get a clean win over a credible opponent. Morrison definately won't win the Rumble, they won't trust HIM of all people to carry a world title match at the biggest show of the year with no prior main event name value. I could understand if the WWE FINALLY decided to have Kofi elevated to the ME with the Rumble because he's super over, but Morrison isn't. That'll never happen because of his skin colour, I'm just saying that there's a difference between who can handle it and who can't.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Unlike the naysayers above, I can actually see Morrison winning the rumble to face The Miz at wrestlemania. This is a "changing of the guard" wrestlemania, and most of the matchups I feel will include people that last year were MITB losers at best. JoMo vs Miz, Ziggler vs Orton (they do seem to be building that feud nicely), Corre vs Nexus, and not sure about the other matches, but it's clear that anything involving Cena, probably Mysterio, and Undertaker will draw well.

·
Registered
13,215 Posts
Morrison/Miz was just a brief interlude between finishing up the Orton/Miz rivalry and gave Miz a win over a somewhat credible opponent.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I'd love to see Morrison winning but i just can't see it happening. Like others said, it's maybe just a way to give Miz a clean win over credible opponent.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Royal Rumble - He will lose, but he will have a great run in there.

Elimination Chamber - Will be one of the six guys that are fighting for the WWE championship. He will do good again, but will lose.

Wrestlemania 27 - Money in the Bank. He has a good chance of winning the match and probably will.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
I'm sticking with ADR for MITB, especially because it's primarily for heels but that's pretty spot on regardless. WWE is obviously attempting to give him a full force push but regardless, it will not happen until after WrestleMania.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I can see him potentially winning the Rumble...seriously.

That's the only reason I can think of to not give him the rumble title match. They obviously don't mind putting someone new in the title match at the PPV (See Dolph Ziggler) and they gave Morrison a BIG win, in a BIG match at TLC. He had a heck of alot of momentum, and it looked like they were seriously going for it when you saw the following two RAWs. Then they just gave it away? Morrison loses and that's it?

However afterwards is where I started wondering if they were setting up a Morrison rumble win. I was incredibly intrigued as to how they would book Morrison the following week. If they were depushing him, and had intentionally wasted his title shot because they wanted him out of the main event, they would have just had him job, or slip completely down the card. But they gave him his momentum back with a win over Sheamus, followed by a win over Bryan with video promos being shown to highlight his athleticism and hype him.

That isn't the push of someone who they have no hope for, they obviously want to continue his push. The announcers always put over how resiliant he is, how much heart he has and how he's now the 'superstar who just won't quit', the exact qualities that warrent a royal rumble win. He hasn't been shoved down anyones throat, he isn't an obvious winner, but he's over, he's got a storyline set up and is still getting pushed, so he could be a possibility. I can't think of why elese they would give away Miz/Morrison other than to have another feud/match for Wrestlemania...

Sounds stupid I know, it wouldn't be a massive draw, both aren't legit main eventers but with a youth movement, and the WWEs need for new babyfaces, and Morrison's push I could see it happening.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
IMO it's either Cena or Punk

also people put to much stock on wrestlers putting on a good performance in a match.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
morrison cant talk for shit so im happy hes not being pushed :D
Except he is getting pushed...hard. He's not getting pushed as hard as John Cena, Randy Orton, The Miz or CM Punk, but he's getting pushed.

But, yes, he's atrocious on the mic and that should stop any progress of his push, but it won't. All that matters is what's going on in Vince's head at the moment.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
What Morrison needs is a dominant, already established, heel champion to go after with a Rumble win. And right now, there isn't one. That is the only way his push to the main event of Wrestlemania would work. The Miz, is not the answer to that for Morrison right now. As it is, Miz himself needs an already established star to face at Wrestlemania to solidify his spot..so it just wouldn't work. While there is a decent amount of history between Miz and Morrison, Miz doesn't hold the main event name value of one of the veterans. Furthermore, the "history" between Morrison and Miz is not the makings of a Wrestlemania caliber feud - maybe any other PPV, but not Wrestlemania. They use to be tag champs and have faced each other here and there in mid card grudge matches...OK who cares? Yeah, there has always been some bad blood between the two, but let's not forget that the first Raw of 2011 was when Morrison got his first WWE Title shot and Miz had his first real title defense (not counting the tables match with Orton). The story isn't there yet for the two to face for the WWE Title at Wrestlemania.

Putting these two superstars in a match against eachother for the WWE Title, on the grandest stage of them all, while both are in the midst of huge pushes, would be stupid and ulimately hurt one of them in the end. While Miz is the current WWE Champ, he still has not been completely accepted by most fans as a credible main eventer and he needs to continue to be pushed in feuds with already established main event talent moving into Wrestlemania. Morrison on the other hand, has been on a hot streak, looking to break into the main event scene as a big baby face, but still isn't quite there yet. The pushes are at the same place in my eyes because as a heel, a superstar needs to get over as Champ, where as a baby face needs to get over before he becomes Champ. Neither Miz or Morrison could afford a loss to the other right now, especially not at Wrestlemania. Either outcome of a Miz/Morrison WWE Title match at Wrestlemania would be a lose/lose situation.

Let's look at the two scenerios: If The Miz were to lose the WWE Title to Morrison at Wrestlemania, his credibility as a main event star would be completely shot down to a point where he may never recover. And the bigger question becomes, would people care to the level that they should regarding the WWE Title at Wrestlemania? Let's not forget to mention that Morrison winning the belt off The Miz would hardly prove that Morrison can hang in the main event (at Wrestlemania no less) because the person he would be beating hardly has main event cred to his name at this point. On the flip side, Morrison winning the Rumble, then to go on but ultimately fail in capturing the WWE Title at Wrestlemania, would destroy Morrison and be an absolute waste of a Rumble win.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Believe me, this isn't what I WANT to see happen, just what I believe might happen. Morrison's not a favorite in the Rumble by any stretch, but they've put JUST enough attention on him that he's in that "best of the rest" position. And, if we believe that Cena's too obvious a choice and Nexus and Corre could cancel each other out, Morrison might be the surprise winner.

Anyway, Morrison/Miz could be the Jericho/Edge of this year's WrestleMania. That is, a world title match between two guys with some history that is stuck in the middle of the card and overshadowed by more important one-on-one encounters (Cena/Punk, Undertaker/Barrett, HHH/Sheamus, etc.).

·
Registered
184 Posts
Believe me, this isn't what I WANT to see happen, just what I believe might happen. Morrison's not a favorite in the Rumble by any stretch, but they've put JUST enough attention on him that he's in that "best of the rest" position. And, if we believe that Cena's too obvious a choice and Nexus and Corre could cancel each other out, Morrison might be the surprise winner.

Anyway, Morrison/Miz could be the Jericho/Edge of this year's WrestleMania. That is, a world title match between two guys with some history that is stuck in the middle of the card and overshadowed by more important one-on-one encounters (Cena/Punk, Undertaker/Barrett, HHH/Sheamus, etc.).
^ That's what I'm going to say....:D

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
There is NO way Morrison is winning the Rumble.

Simple, he's not winning the Rumble.

Reactions: NoLeafClover

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
It's possible, solely due to the fact that they rushed into the match several weeks ago on Raw. Morrison is definitely being pushed hard. Morrison/Miz fits for Wrestlemania if they're so inclined to pursue it. I could even see Morrison/Miz happening, but without Morrison winning The Royal Rumble to make it happen.

Wrestlemania XXVII is shaping up to be a little like Wrestlemania XXI. Not in the sense that they're going to be creating two new top stars--they're already set there--but I could definitely see them creating two new main event stars with two others being pushed strongly in that direction. Wrestlemania XXI was the coming out party for four guys in all: Batista with his first world championship win over, Cena with his first world championship win over JBL, Edge winning the inaugural Money in the Bank match and Orton putting up a terrific fight against Undertaker and his Streak in a losing effort.

I could see WWE opting for a similar approach this year. And those four guys this year to be given strong placings on the show would probably be John Morrison, Alberto Del Rio, Kofi Kingston and Wade Barrett. (Del Rio and Kofi are both on the latest Wrestlemania XXVII poster, if that means anything at all.) But with the "Youth Movement" you already have Miz by default, especially if he's walking in as champion (unlikely, but he'll still be very prominent) and if you want to count them as such, CM Punk and Sheamus.

I can certainly see Vince rolling the dice with at least one of his world championship matches this year and possibly even both of them, in an effort to create new stars at the biggest show of the year. Imagine a world where Kofi Kingston wins The Royal Rumble and the Raw Elimination Chamber match is a #1 contender's bout like it was three years ago, with Morrison winning that. It's all conceivable. Of course the smart money's on guys like Cena, and even CM Punk, in a way (though there are logical reasons against them), but with the widespread complaints against the same ol', same ol' outcome of the 'Rumble match being an established main-eventer winning in the four 'Rumble matches, coupled to WWE's desire to "make" new guys, it's at least on the table this year.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
I think they want to put the title back on Randy for Wrestlemania. Couldn't do it if he wasn't in the title match @ the RR. So John got moved out.

I do believe he is winning MITB though

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Morrison is at that point where he could win the rumble. He is high enough in the card, and the fans are really behind him. It also seems like the company is behind him. I give him a 20% chance of winning the rumble. Also, they don't necessarily have to do a Miz vs. Morrison match. They could just as easily do a Morrison vs. Sheamus vs. HHH match. Morrison and Sheamus already have a feud that hasn't completely ended. HHH definitely has a feud with Sheamus if/when he returns. Morrison and HHH could also start a rivalry. It could revolve around how HBK is getting inducted this year, and everybody compares Morrison to HBK. HHH doesn't think that is true and is really offended by it, so he promises to win the match to prove his point. Then, at Wrestlemania, Morrison has that boyhood dream moment after a Rumble win, just like HBK.

·
I'm a Christian
699 Posts
Morrison is one of the wrestlers I would like to see win the rumble, but I just don't see it happening, they basically used him to give the Miz a much needed win over a credible superstar.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I actually don't mind John Morrison. He's not the best talker but he's a good worker and not that bad on the mic. I never really cared for him before, I mean he put on some good performances in MITB matches and such in the past but I never really considered him all that great. His match with Sheamus at TLC got my attention, best match of the night in my opinion, and his match with Miz was good, and I'm not a fan of either of those guys, but he worked well with both of them. If you'd asked me a year ago if I could ever see John Morrison as the WWE Champion, I'd say probably not, but now, I don't think it's much of a stretch at all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts