Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I guess I have been noticing it for a while but it looks like Daniel Bryan is starting to get over very well (not just in "smark" cities, as everybody likes to say). He is universally become a central player in the WWE right now. The YES! phenomenon has certainly given him much needed momentum after the debacle at Wrestlemania this year.

Although, there is an underlying reason probably why Bryan is getting over. He is no longer being portrayed as a vegan, short, lucky World champion he was earlier in the year. It seems that Bryan has become more aggressive, more vindictive, and more venomous as of late. Think about it. Although the WWE didn't fully capitalize it, Bryan has had a short fuse since losing the World Heavyweight title in 18 seconds in the grand stage of Wrestlemania.

Afterwards, he has been on a mean streak. Verbally, obviously with his constant berating and insults towards his former girlfriend AJ. That wasn't enough. He got his rematch at Extreme Rules for the belt and the weeks leading to it, Bryan attacked Sheamus more direct than he ever has towards someone. Obviously, their Extreme Rules match is a MOTY contender but I was more impressed that Bryan was able to compliment Sheamus's brute force moveset with his explosive, smashmouth style of wrestling in that match. We all know Bryan has always had it in him but it never was fully implemented in WWE till now.

So now we're into the feud with WWE champion CM Punk. Their Over The Lmit match, IMO, is the current WWE MOTY but as much of the psychology, storytelling, and in ring play to the crowd as it did, both men's striking and forceful submissions and holds really impressed me the most. As much of a Punk fan as I am, Bryan was really the guy who impressed me in that match. Not a knock on Punk as he put as much effort as Bryan but something about Bryan that night caught me attentive and it confused me untill now that it's been his latest aggressive character and "in your face" style wrestling that has caught my attention from him, even if WWE doesn't fully put him over as such.

Watching Smackdown,
Daniel Bryan's use of those chairshots towards Kane really, IMO, put Bryan over as a legitimate tough guy that is a force to be reckoned with. Oh sure, he runs and cowers of course but when the situations are right and the mood it set, Bryan is as deadly and dangerous as anybody else. While the YES! phenomenon is truly a grand success on Bryan's part, I think the vicious chairshots and the aggressive passion Bryan had in them is what truly put him over with that crowd tonight.

What's your guys and girls opinion on the matter? Can WWE do wonders with a more direct and dangerous persona of Bryan that isn't over the top but doesn't make him weak at the same time.

·
-
7,495 Posts
Re: The More Agressive and Vicious Daniel Brayn as of late

Keep him heel and let him be aggressive all he want.

I hope to god they don't turn him face because they will turn him into another smiling goofball with no personality like Sheamus and Cena.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yeah, I love him as a heel right now. If anything, he should be tweener AT BEST. Turning him heel would hurt the roster because behind Jericho, Rhodes, and Sandow, they would have no true heels left.

·
Wrestling Forum's Ace Attorney
4,126 Posts

He is now showing more shades of the "American Dragon" Bryan Danielson. In the indys and Japan, Bryan always used a very brutal move set. That move set and how he used it is what made me an instant fan of his along with his technical skill in the ring. The painful submissions, brutal elbows, and repeated curbstomps to the face were so violently awesome. He showed some of that at OTL where he elbowed the living hell out of Punk. You could basically feel the impact of each one, it was awesome.This is the direction WWE needs to go with him. He needs to be in the role that Angle and Benoit once filled. The technical, ruthless badass who destroys an opponent through technical prowess. I want more of this violent Bryan.

Reactions: Vlazz

·
Banned
852 Posts

I really love it. WWE has been sorely missing a well-booked technical wrestler. I'm not expecting him to make top faces tap or anything given the WWE formula, but if they let him keep pushing the limit with ref counts and throwing mean european uppercuts and roundhouse kicks, I'm sold.

·
Banned
4,921 Posts

I have a good feeling that him becoming more aggressive is gonna lead him to becoming world champ again this year be it the WWE title or WHC, and having a wonderful reign as world champ where he continues to put on MOTY candidates. If after his feud with Punk he feuds with the likes of Cena and Rey, he could end up having a MOTY candidate at every PPV for the next few PPVs.

·
KILL BECKY KILL
3,192 Posts

Yeah aggressive Bryan is the best Bryan, his wrestling was at his best during the heel dragon persona in the indies.

·
Respect My Pimphand..
15,435 Posts

Yeah he's by far his best when being a ruthless harass and I'm glad WWE is finally letting him be one! One thing he needs to so though, is to start expanding his moveset! He needs to bring back the mma elbows, face stomps, triangle choke with elbows, regal-plex, and the cattle mutilation!

·
Banned
3,223 Posts

D Bryan is one mean little bastard

·
Registered
3,759 Posts

I have a pair of questions. I like him but I'm not a fan.

Why do you love Daniel Bryan?

What's his strong point? Mic skills? Gimmick? Charisma?

·
Registered
7,932 Posts

I don't think Bryan turning is a major concern as WWE realized that Bryan doesn't work as a face. Everything about him is a heel and that's where he excels. WWE is lacking credible, over heels and that's where Bryan could really benefit WWE.

As for heels in general, they tend to get over faster when they are more aggressive. The cowardly heel never works with the crowd which is why I'm amazed that WWE keeps trying it.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Because of one true reason. He loves wrestling and for years, has let his passion show in whatever match or style of match he is in. Mic skills are average and charisma is not his strong suit but he is, arguably, the best wrestler of our generation and can get a great match out of everybody. I typically like those who have a passion and admiration for the wrestling business. John Cena is someone I can't stand and his character is stale as hell but I love the passion he has for wrestling and you can see it whenever he wrestles.

·
Wrestling Forum's Ace Attorney
4,126 Posts

I love DB as a fan because he is one of the best technical wrestlers in the world, and I'm a huge fan of technical wrestling. I just find just about everything he does in the ring entertains me. His moves, mannerisms and expressions in the ring are just awesome to me. His ring skills are his strongest point as he is one of the best wrestlers in the world. In the ring, he knows how to play the crowd and get a reaction while being able to work well with almost any wrestler. His mic skills are good, but they are not his strong point.Depsite what some people may say, he does have charisma. If he didn't have it, he wouldn't have the strong following he does today. He draws you in with what he does in the ring, and to me, that is the most important part of pro wrestling.

·
Registered
873 Posts

He's a very balanced wrestler who mixes many styles that he spent years learning. He can wrestle stiff, he can wrestle finesse, he can throw tons of suplexes, or he can build a match around kicks and knee strikes. Doesn't matter.

I think what's drawn such a rabid following, is that he's disproving a lot of the indy worker stereotypes. He's developed into a compelling character, he's getting huge reactions, and he's selling tshirts; all the things people said he could never do.

Sent from my ADR6300 using VerticalSports.Com App

1 - 20 of 42 Posts