Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
People would talk about a fat naked guy farting on the mic in the ring on live tv too. Doesn't mean it's good.

The whole "Bad or Good, people are still talking about it. Bad or Good, he/she gets a reaction every time." mentality will be the death of this business.

·
Doki Doki Literature Club!
537 Posts
The Miz is absolutely right (for the most part). I mean... Just look at how much media attention that specific segment got, regardless of how "bad" it was. And, I'm also glad to hear that WWE/Vince McMahon happens to trust both Chris Jericho and The Miz with these "celebrity" segments, since it shows how entertaining, "safe," and comfortable they are on the mic. :)

Just one question though... Why isn't The Miz being utilized better? He is clearly one of the more entertaining characters on Raw. :cuss:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Just like heat, people talking isn't a direct correlation to success. If the responses of the consumers and/or potential consumers are generally negative, it tends to lead to a decrease in consumption.

If a store that averages a 100 customers a day runs a promotion to attract 100 more, but it's left averaging 90. The only way it's a success is if there are new consumers gained, that consume things to a greater extent than those that were lost.

Dirty Q-Tip head saying "Beat that ..... Ass" while the waterheaded Joe Jackson of Basketball, he calls dad, dances around like Barney the Dinosaur trying to dutty wine. Isn't going to do anything that leads to success. It's just something that people laughed and commented on before quickly moving on to watching another 'Dancing Dan' clip -Baby.

·
Banned
171 Posts
It all sounds good in theory, but you have to remember that most of the people who tuned in to see Lavar Bell are not wrestling fans. They already have prejudgments on the product before they watch. They think its "fake" bullshit so it will be very hard to change that mindset. The stuff they see on the show will just further confirm what they believe.
There are a lot of "its fake" people out their who you will never win over. However, out of pretty much anything in entertainment or sports I do feel that pro wrestling has the most transient fan base. If you put out a good compelling product they will watch. People thought pro wrestling was dead in 95 to the mainstream or even fringes, but it managed to thrive with big events that drew people in. Whether it was Mike Tyson in WWE or Hogan turning in WCW and the myriad of stars that showed up there...it often takes one event to turn the most casual of fan into a die hard viewer for a short period.

·
Registered
22,619 Posts
Which is why I said most of his career. He has had some huge highs, 6 years ago. But his work in 2016, and the way his 2017 has shaped out is what I'm talking about. Or 2012-mid 2016 where he was a jobber struggling to even get on TV. He's a guy who is always busting his ass and doign everything the WWE could ask for but for most of his career its come with very little reward. He was one of the only bright spots of WWE programming in 2016 yet his 2017 has been pretty forgettable apart from the Total Bellas Bullshit segments. He was great in 2016, and as a performer still is in 2017. But he's just in the same spot he was last year; IC Champ only this time he's less credible.

When a guy steps up like he did they should be rewarded for it, not just trotted out on to TV to job every week and maybe pick up a win every six months or so.
I think for Miz him actually consistently being in a storyline and being very important to the IC title the last year and a half or so is his reward for his newfound progress and hardcore love. But I think pushing him past midcard champ is asking for it to go bad like his face turn remember that. Right now he's in a perfect fit you have a great heel for the midcard who you know is going to get heel heat and is bringing much needed attention and prestige to the IC title.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Wrestling fans actually like seeing celebrities once in a while, it's just that most celebrities don't want anything to do with WWE's presentation of them, they aren't that great at it. Sure, we are all for celebrities in the ring, just not d-list celebrities who are clearly presented out of place. Ya know?

·
Banned
9,176 Posts
All that circlejerking in WWE about being "talked about".
If that goofball hadn't dropped the N Bomb, they couldn't have a third of that publicity, brother.

I remember celebrity David Arquette being rather talked about in 2000. Gave WCW plenty of publicity. What a genius move that was.

As a general rule of thumb: if your shows suck - and you may get a hunch that they are perceived as sucking - don't brag about it.

Reactions: Jay Valero

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,521 Posts
I think for Miz him actually consistently being in a storyline and being very important to the IC title the last year and a half or so is his reward for his newfound progress and hardcore love. But I think pushing him past midcard champ is asking for it to go bad like his face turn remember that. Right now he's in a perfect fit you have a great heel for the midcard who you know is going to get heel heat and is bringing much needed attention and prestige to the IC title.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
I know a lot of people see Miz as just midcard for life for whatever reason but in this era there's zero reason why Miz cant be a World Champ again. If Ambrose, Rollins, KO, Balor, etc. can be Main Eventers then there's no argument for why Miz cant be as well.

Its not Miz's fault he feuded with Lawler or was a pawn in the Rock/Cena feud. He held up his end, WWE let him down.

Its bad when the midcard Champion is more entertaining than 90% of the Main Eventers combined. And its pointless having Miz make the IC Title look good when the next guy never has the same passion for the belt and just ruins it again, like Ambrose has done. The IC Title was more important than it had been in forever late last year, yet the very next Champion killed all of that off.

·
Guitar tech for Elias
875 Posts
Why is lavar ball even a celebrity?? He's never done anything important except be a sperm donor. His son is the basketball star who should be getting all the attention.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
People would talk about a fat naked guy farting on the mic in the ring on live tv too. Doesn't mean it's good.

The whole "Bad or Good, people are still talking about it. Bad or Good, he/she gets a reaction every time." mentality will be the death of this business.
Actually, that concept drew 10 million viewers in the attitude era.

The insular, hardcore fan pandering of today will be the death of this business.

·
Banned
778 Posts
I agree mostly, but those segments are usually quite awkward with the wrestlers pandering to the celebrity.

Its a shame though Miz is a company guy, does everything they could ask him too, understands the business, has continually imrpoved and reinvented himself. Is passionate, is a lifelong fan and has even won over the smarky fans who once despised the fact he was even allowed to be called a wrestler...yet WWE just see him as a hapless jobber.

It'll never happen. But seeing as Miz is a passionate, hard working guy who dreamed of being a pro wrestler his whole life but has got very little reward for most of his career for all that effort I'd love to see a shoot interview from him one day on all the crap he's had to endure as WWE's go to guy for jobbing to the stars and carrying celebrities through segments.
Hapless jobber?

·
Banned
879 Posts
jesus, lavar ball's son really said that shit on raw last monday? damn, i gotta go see that clip. i mean, i knew that guy was nuts, but this is just too much. and i thought i was savage lol

21 - 32 of 32 Posts