Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of him not getting the credit he deserves for his improved ring work.

- He's put on entertaining matches with Cena
- put together a decent match with Show
- Him and Orton were great on smackdown two weeks back
- Rey and Miz put on two solid matches including a great 20 minute match on Smackdown last month
- Matches with Bryan were mint
- Just last night with Morrison was an A TV match

The dude can wrestle, with the way he's improving 4-5 star matches routinely would not surprise me by this time next year

·
Registered
919 Posts
The dude can wrestle, with the way he's improving 4-5 star matches routinely would not surprise me by this time next year
What matches? I have not seen anything close to a 4-5 star match from him.

·
Registered
648 Posts
He'll never be great in the ring, but he's worked his butt off to improve to avarage so I gotta give him credit. He takes decent bumps and is not a bad seller. At least he looks like he graduated from wrestling camp now. So yeah, he's decent, but a long way from solid. But that TV match with JoMo WAS a five star caliber match

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
He'll never be great in the ring, but he's worked his butt off to improve to avarage so I gotta give him credit. He takes decent bumps and is not a bad seller. At least he looks like he graduated from wrestling camp now. So yeah, he's decent, but a long way from solid. But that TV match with JoMo WAS a five star caliber match
Not even close, though it was a great match.

·
Premium Member
19,338 Posts
Solid might be a stretch. I do think he's decent though. And passable for the product that is today's WWE. I don't really have much of a problem with the guy. He's entertaining when billed to look strong.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
In the past eight months or so, he reminds me some of a late 1970s Roddy Piper when he's at his best. Piper was an amateur wrestler and boxer before he became a pro wrestler, but he was never a very fluid or particularly athletic worker. But he busted his ass and then some. Well, when Miz is at his best, he reminds me of that. His effort is always evident when he wants it to be. You take the late May Raw match he had with R-Truth, for instance--not a worker up there with Danielson or Rey Mysterio or Randy Orton or John Cena or John Morrison by most standards--and you can see he's doing his best to put on a solid match. He pulled out quite a few stops with Big Show a couple months back as well, producing a thoroughly agreeable match with Show.

I noticed that in his match this evening with Morrison, he seemed to take a page out of Jericho's book with milking the nearfalls to the point where the crowd believed he had lost the match at least a couple of different times.

Is he early NWA Piper? Is he Jericho? No, but he's still improving and that's a great thing to pick up on with any wrestler, at any stage of their career.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Without Morrison's spots, the match isn't even close to being great. It was a entertaining match, however, but it is due to Morrison much more than it was for Miz.

Why we're getting Orton shoved down our throats is much worse, nevertheless.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Since when was being "solid" in the ring acceptable for a WWE Champion of small stature and without an impressive look? I don't mean to berate him, and he certainly has improved, but I never thought he was ready to hold the WWE title when he got it.

Miz has the mic skills, but I have a feeling that a non-gimmick singles match with Randy Orton (himself merely a "solid" wrestler) at Royal Rumble won't be getting any votes for match of the night.

Oh well, at least we still have the Rumble to look forward to-- where I'm sure we'll see yet another victory from an already established main eventer who won't really gain anything from it (maybe a surprise Triple H return?), save another predictable and pedestrian Wrestlemania title match with no Shawn Michaels show-stealing performance to look forward to for the first time in 9 years. They like to talk about how they're pushing new talent, and indeed they are, but they seem to have no confidence in any of the newer guys they give the belt to when it comes to defending or challenging for it at Wrestlemania, and it's been this way since WM21. I therefore don't think Miz will be in the title scene come Wrestlemania. Not unless it's a Triple Threat or something, anyways.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Miz is solid in the fact that he can be carried to passable/good matches. He knows how to take direction and follows the flow of whatever person is leading the match. There was a glimmer tonight of his ring psychology getting better, but John Morrison lead that match all the way. Everything noteworthy about it was his doing. Hell, If you got back to all Miz's other matches it's been the other guy thats made those matches what they where.

He has drive though, and you can tell he's working on it. Tonight was definitely one of his better showings for sure.

·
Registered
655 Posts
He has improved...he used to be horrible now he is mediocre. But the WWE standard of in ring skills isn't all that high so i'd say he is in the middle of the pack. He most certainly isn't deserving of the WWE title yet, but that's not to say he wouldn't of been later this year or next year. WWE pulled the trigger way to early on him, that's why they have had him face Jerry Lawler a few times to try and make him look impressive but all it done was damage any chance of being taken seriously as a world champ.

And going back to his matches that you stated, he was carried in nearly every single one of them.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,155 Posts
He has improved...he used to be horrible now he is mediocre. But the WWE standard of in ring skills isn't all that high so i'd say he is in the middle of the pack. He most certainly isn't deserving of the WWE title yet, but that's not to say he wouldn't of been later this year or next year. WWE pulled the trigger way to early on him, that's why they have had him face Jerry Lawler a few times to try and make him look impressive but all it done was damage any chance of being taken seriously as a world champ.
So he was supposed to look impressive in nearly being defeated by a 60+-year-old man for the WWE Championship on Raw, requiring the support of two other guys to defeat him? And then being pinned by him a few weeks later? And then losing to him yet again via countout?

If creative intended for that to make Miz look impressive, they really are a curious bunch of fellows! :confused:

·
Registered
655 Posts
So he was supposed to look impressive in nearly being defeated by a 60+-year-old man for the WWE Championship on Raw, requiring the support of two other guys to defeat him? And then being pinned by him a few weeks later? And then losing to him yet again via countout?

If creative intended for that to make Miz look impressive, they really are a curious bunch of fellows! :confused:
Once again read the topic dude. It's on ring skills not whether they are booked to look weak or strong. Of course he will look better than Lawler in the ring based on technique, so why put him into a match straight up against someone far superior to him in the ring?

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
No he gets carried by people, One of the reason why WWE use Morrison aginst The Miz is because Morrison can make him look good while still being complete bullshit.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
All of his opponents carried their match with Miz , but he's improving..

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
The Miz isn't a bad wrestler...but he isn't a good wrestler either, everytime he takes control of the match i always get bored, that's why it always ruins my mood everytime he and Jerry Lawler are wrestling in the same ring (their TLC match was ok though). And fortunately his opponents these days mostly range from good to great (Orton, Rey, Morrison) so yeah, he can always get carried to a passable match, but only his match with Morrison stood out the most to me.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The thing with Miz is, you have to look at who has held the top titles.

Love them or hate them, they've either been guys that have been in the business a long time or guys that quite literally, larger than life.

Miz looks and sounds like a horny teenager..i'd say he almost suffers from Rey Mysterio syndrome. People like Mysterio, but didn't buy his Heavyweight Championship run for 5 minutes.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts