Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if any of you remember Steve DiSalvo in WCW. Billed as The Minotaur, he had a brief run at the beginning of 1991, was undefeated, and disappeared. Does anyone know why DiSalvo did not stick?

·
Likes wrestling....
8,737 Posts
I remember DiSalvo well along with guys like Larry Cameron, Bully Busick, and some others, he was one of those guys a lot of us pre-internet wrestling fans thought would be huge one day but just kind of never made it bug,

From what I remember he was really over as "The Strangler" in Canada, he actually was a bodybuilder and was pretty honest about hating wrestling.

He was one of the last guys managed by the legendary Eddie Cretchman and actually has a pinfall victory over Carlos Colon in Puerto Rico.

However I have no clue why he disappeared from WCW. I know he got a tryout in WWF but never caught on. He ended up in the indies.

Very good question and one I will be researching myself.

·
WWE Fan Since '81
1,083 Posts
I remember it well. I remember in the 9/89 PWI issue, one of their writers predicted DiSalvo to be the "biggest star of the next ten years" --- never happened. As far as his WCW tenure, Ole was the one who wanted to bring him in, but 3 days prior to DiSalvo arriving, Ole got fired. DiSalvo still went to WCW but they had no clue what to do with him. He also never really wanted to be a pro wrestler, so mentally, he just wasn't where he needed to be in order to be a breakout star.

·
EXCELSIOR!
16,112 Posts
http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Wrestling/2007/12/04/4706916.html

Just did some homework on this guy. In addition to a handful of title reigns in some no-name feds, he actually had reigns with a few noteworthy titles as well: he is a 1-time Stampede North American Heavyweight Champion, a 1-time WWC Universal Heavyweight Champion and a 1-time WWC World Tag Team Champion (the latter of which he held with fellow Stampede Wrestling alumnus Jason the Terrible).

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
I remember DiSalvo well along with guys like Larry Cameron, Bully Busick, and some others, he was one of those guys a lot of us pre-internet wrestling fans thought would be huge one day but just kind of never made it bug,

From what I remember he was really over as "The Strangler" in Canada, he actually was a bodybuilder and was pretty honest about hating wrestling.

He was one of the last guys managed by the legendary Eddie Cretchman and actually has a pinfall victory over Carlos Colon in Puerto Rico.

However I have no clue why he disappeared from WCW. I know he got a tryout in WWF but never caught on. He ended up in the indies.

Very good question and one I will be researching myself.
I remember him, but wasn't aware of his time being called "The Strangler". His last name immediately caught my attention being a true crime enthusiast and then when I read this post it hit me just how clever the play on his last name is. Albert DeSalvo was known as the Boston Strangler. A quick wiki search told me that Steve DiSalvo is also from Boston. If it's a coincidence it's a very interesting one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts