Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keanu Reeves and Carrie Anne-Moss are making a fourth Matrix movie

Warner Bros. has*just announced*a fourth film in the*Matrix*series, with original stars Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss set to reprise their iconic roles as Neo and Trinity, respectively. Lana Wachowski is set to write and direct the sequel.

The news comes after*rumors earlier this year*from*John Wick: Chapter 3director Chad Stahelski that the Wachowski sisters were working on a new installment in the franchise. But rumors about a new*Matrix*film have been swirling practically since the third installment —*The Matrix Revolutions*— was released in 2003.

REENTER THE MATRIX

That said, it appears that only Lana Wachowski is returning for the upcoming film, with her sister Lilly (who co-directed and co-wrote the original three films) absent from the announcement. Instead, screenwriters Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell are set to help produce the script alongside Lana.

“We could not be more excited to be re-entering*The Matrix*with Lana,” said Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich, announcing the news. “Lana is a true visionary — a singular and original creative filmmaker — and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in*The Matrix*universe.”

There are virtually no details yet as to what the*Matrix*sequel will entail plot-wise or even a release window, although*Variety*claims*production on the film will begin early next year.
I love Reeves and would like to see him in more big stuff, but I'm really not sure what to think about a fourth Matrix movie after all this time.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,246 Posts
Not that I understood shit that happened in the second and third movies but I thought this story was wrapped up. I'd love to see this franchise redeem itself but if there isn't a logical pick up point for the story, I feel like we're going to get more rambling nonsense.

·
Registered
15,836 Posts
Well, if they ease up on the psuedo-intellectualism with a weird mish-mash of religious philosophies... could be good? I enjoyed the first three, but it was very strange how it went from "christ figure" to this weird Buddhist like philosophy then back to "christ figure but with balance!". It kind of derailed the third movie's narrative aura at times.

·
S.E.E.S.
536 Posts
Part of me is very happy about this and another part is very worried that they will put as many homos and trannys into the movie as possible and ruin the franchise!
lol there it is, the dumbest thing I'll read today.

I'm a massive fan of The Matrix and can't wait to see Keeves play Neo once again.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
So... I'm guessing it's some kinda sequel about Neo and Trinity's consciousnesses being uploaded to The Matrix and having to save the machines from the humans?

I bet this somehow turns into another trilogy, a la The Hobbit.

·
40,677 Posts
The first and the third are some of the best movies ever made. The second one is good but it can't match those other two.

I don't think there needs to be another Matrix movie, but I'll watch it almost certainly.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'd be more interested if Neo and Trinity weren't in it.

Post-Matrix Neo is a terrible character to build a film around, you have to come up with contrived ways to keep him out of the action or he'll just absolutely wreck everyone. Reloaded dealt with this by sending him up to the mountains, Revolutions had him be in some stupid secondary Matrix for no reason. He also seemed to be dead at the end of Revolutions.

Trinity definitely died in Revolutions. There's no reason to bring her back. If you do it makes death in these movies completely meaningless because they'll just resurrect them.

Where's Morpheus in all this by the way? He was actually alive at the end of the last one.

·
Registered
15,836 Posts
I'd be more interested if Neo and Trinity weren't in it.

Post-Matrix Neo is a terrible character to build a film around, you have to come up with contrived ways to keep him out of the action or he'll just absolutely wreck everyone. Reloaded dealt with this by sending him up to the mountains, Revolutions had him be in some stupid secondary Matrix for no reason. He also seemed to be dead at the end of Revolutions.

Trinity definitely died in Revolutions. There's no reason to bring her back. If you do it makes death in these movies completely meaningless because they'll just resurrect them.

Where's Morpheus in all this by the way? He was actually alive at the end of the last one.
Considering the ideas the trilogy was dealing in, death not being permanent makes all the sense in the world. The reincarnation theme, or just death and rebirth if you go a more christian route, was quite prevalent in the third film especially. So it's easy to bring back any character, even the infamous Agent Smith.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Considering the ideas the trilogy was dealing in, death not being permanent makes all the sense in the world. The reincarnation theme, or just death and rebirth if you go a more christian route, was quite prevalent in the third film especially. So it's easy to bring back any character, even the infamous Agent Smith.
Smith's a computer program, it would be fine to bring him back. Neo had some weird shit happen to him in a computer program, so fine, bring him back. Trinity is a human woman who got impaled by three metal beams in the real world. Human beings can't survive that.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,839 Posts
Not even remotely excited by this news, but doubtless some embarrassing, misplaced millennial nostalgia will drive this poster to seeing this theatrically.

·
tombstone blues
14,292 Posts
fingers crossed that Matrix 4 reveals Neo is actually John Wick RPing online to relax after a long day of massacring the criminal underworld :mark:

Trinity is actually an 11 year old boy from Germany

Morpheus is actually a 54 year old white hedge fund manager from Westchester County

Agent Smith is actually [put your favorite buried banned WF poster here]

etc.

·
NBA
2,193 Posts
Was this needed? For those who hope they won't dabble with the mysticism stuff in this new entry... considering how much the director must have changed since then, expect them to double down on the existential themes. Problem is, a blockbuster (esp. the fourth entry of a well known franchise) ain't the most appropiate type of work to explore that sort of stuff, so most likely we are going to get a toned down cash grab action flick devoid of any actual interesting and/or new content...though to be honest, the original three films are pretty simple movies that give the false impression of having more depth than they actually have due to the pseudo mathematical and philosophical terminology that is used to embellish almost every single one of the dialogues.

·
tombstone blues
14,292 Posts
Was this needed? For those who hope they won't dabble with the mysticism stuff for this new release... considering how much the director must have changed since then, expect them to double down on the existential themes for this new entry. Problem is, a blockbuster (esp the fourth entry of a well known franchise) ain't the appropiate type of work to explore such sort of stuff, so most likely we are going to get a toned down cash grab action flick devoid of any actual interesting and7or content...though to be honest, the original three films are pretty simple movies that give the false impression of having more depth than they actually have due to the pseudo mathematical and philosophical terminology that are used to embellish almost every single one of the dialogues.
The original was the best of the three because it stuck to being a cash grab action flick with a minimum of mathematical and philosophical terminology. Really outside of the red pill/blue pill and visit to the Oracle scenes, The Matrix is little more than a very well produced actionstravaganza with an emphasis on groundbreaking (for the time) special effects. Unlike Reloaded and Revolutions which dialed the jargon-filled exposition up to 11 and tried to compensate by turning the special effects up to 11 as well... and that didn't really work

1 - 20 of 45 Posts