Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been a thread already but if it was I can't remember seeing it... so, title says it all. Name the match or matches that sum up your favorite wrestler as a performer.

For me.. Mick Foley.. the three matches that come to mind are Triple H at the Rumble and Randy Orton at Baclkash and, of course, the Hell in a Cell with Taker. All wild, hardcore, brawls, with the cell match having not one but two crazy death defying stunts and all matches Foley lost :p

So as stated, ad nausium, what matches sum up your favorite wrestler??

·
10,957 Posts
AJ vs Cena and Ronan for me epitomizes AJ for me. He can hang with the stars as a bonafide superstar one moment and put over people and really elevate them. For example ziggler now looks like a threat going into MITB cause AJ put him over. His probably the top guy in the company besides Cena where a win really elevates you

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
Oh Mick Foley was mine too. My answer would be Undertaker Vs Mankind Hell in a Cell, didn't get much offense in, but him climbing back up to the top of the cage after getting tossed off, really sums up Mick Foley for me.

I'll do one for Kenta Kobashi as well. I want to say him Vs Steve Williams, I forgot the year, but Steve Williams dropped him badly on his head with three Backdrop Drivers, but Kobashi kept getting back up, it's that heart and determination, that made me love Kobashi to this day.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,953 Posts
My favorite wrestler of all time is The Heartbreak Kid, Shawn Michaels. If I had to pick one match that epitomizes HBK, I'd personally go with Summer Slam '02. Not the Cell match or Mania classics with Taker. Not the matches with Angle, Jericho or Bret. Not even the Triple Threat match at Mania 20. No, Summer Slam 2002, Shawn Michaels' return match after 4 plus years of forced retirement.

Everything about this match encapsulates Shawn's career and personal life throughout. Everything from commentary, ref choice, weapons, the pacing, opponent and the ending, all came together to tell the story of HBK.

Pick any bit of commentary from JR.

"Fast count him, Earl, get him outta there!"
"The pain etched on Shawn's face tells a better story than we ever could."
"What kind of man could do such a thing? Is he even human? That's the face of the Devil himself!"
"GET THE DAMNED SLEDGEHAMMER AWAY FROM HIM!"
"He's as good as he ever was! He can still do it!"

God I miss JR at the booth.

Earl Hebner is the referee in this one and he was there for the Montreal Screwjob right along with Shawn.

HBK used a ladder, he was in the "first" WWF Ladder match and reminded us why.

Every small bump Shawn took was echoed by his injured back. A back breaker is "just a move," but done to Shawn it could end the match and leave him crippled. The slow shots to the back with the chair, the whips to the turnbuckle and the sidewalk slams to the chair silenced the crowd as Shawn's cries of agony reverberated off the walls. It was masterful work by both men and that's why it's not only one of my favorite matches. I think it's Shawn's best.

Little jumbled but I think that sums up how I feel about this match and HBK. Yeah the feud became a little too one-sided after Survivor Series, but these guys never disappointed when they met.

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
The Big Dog

WM 31 vs Brock Lesnar when people started to lighten up to Reigns a little

RAW after TLC '15 vs Sheamus felt like more of a coronation than any other attempt since, he was fully over & cheered

The one with AJ at Extreme Rules '16 showed that he can hang with the best, following all the other good matches he was having leading up to that

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
This may have been a thread already but if it was I can't remember seeing it... so, title says it all. Name the match or matches that sum up your favorite wrestler as a performer.

For me.. Mick Foley.. the three matches that come to mind are Triple H at the Rumble and Randy Orton at Baclkash and, of course, the Hell in a Cell with Taker. All wild, hardcore, brawls, with the cell match having not one but two crazy death defying stunts and all matches Foley lost :p

So as stated, ad nausium, what matches sum up your favorite wrestler??
im sure you can guess mine pal

·
Molly Mayhem on your doorstep at 3am
825 Posts
Against Mankind at In Your House 11: Buried Alive.
"HE'S ALIVE! THE UNDERTAKER'S ALIVE! THE UNDERTAKER LIVES!"

·
Registered
258 Posts
Randy Orton
vs cena I quit match
vs Bryan raw after TLC
vs Christian ss
vs HHH No mercyetc
He is at his best when he beats up people to a pulp.
I would love to see AJ vs Orton in a real feud

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Rock and Backlash 2000. It summed up The Rock as the baby face who made a guarantee to the people and against all the odds he defeated HHH for the title.

·
Butter My Arse
11,763 Posts
Foley

vs. HBK @ Mind Games 1996
vs. Taker @ KOTR 1998
vs. Triple H @ Royal Rumble 2000

One other match I have neglected to include but made a lasting impression on me was the KOTR Finals match against Triple H in 1997. Was far from a classic, but I'll always remember it. Mankind was on the verge of a fully blown babyface turn thanks to his JR interviews, but wasn't officially there yet. He was still technically a heel, but he managed to get the crowd on his side by being the ultimate underdog against the dirty tactics of Triple H and mostly his bodyguard Chyna. It was almost a handicap match. To see the defenceless heel get treated like dirt and take shitloads of punishment for no reward made me applaud his effort and go fully on his side. The debut of Dude Love a few weeks later was just the icing on the cake. I felt so happy for the guy.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
The Rock

Rock vs Hogan at WrestleMania 18.

The match wasn't a technical classic by any means, but the charisma of both performers and the storytelling clinic put on in the match were more than enough to make up for any technical shortcomings.

Also, Rock went into the match as a babyface and got booed out of the building. By the end of it, nothing but cheers.

Sums up The Rock's career to near perfection imo.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
Ric Flair. WrestleWar 89 vs Steamboat. One of the greatest traditional face vs traditional heel rivalries ever from a character perspective that also delivered huge in the ring. With it being the third of the trilogy, it also illustrates beautifully how Ric was booked. Best in the company but could lose on any given night and be backed into a corner(Starrcade93 vs Vader is another great example). The match shows that when it's really all on the line and he has to win that he finds a way. Which is why his retirement arc was so damn perfect. There was just that little tiny doubt there. That little voice telling you that he might pull it off.

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart, WrestleMania 10. Bret as the cagey vet babyface reluctantly taking on his sniveling heel brother who could match him hold for hold. The story played out beautifully and it was a damn clinic on top of it, with an awesome clean finish that forever made Owen. Probably my all-time favorite match. It's everything missing in WWE right now.

edit: it's such a shame that Triple H ruined peoples' concept of technical wrestling and psychology with his indulgent, boring-ass style. This match shows that these concepts and great pace and excitement aren't mutually exclusive. The match is a blast to watch and everything makes sense.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Stan Hansen: though his finest is with Kobashi, I'd say the match that encapsulates Stan best is the bullrope match with Carlos Colon. Brutal, incredibly physical, Stan not wanting to give an inch yet selling when needed, bloody, main event match where Stan is playing an invader. If Stan went over with a lariat and showed a little mat ability, that'd pretty much cover everything.

Terry Funk: depends on what run

Taker: As a character, the HIAC with Mankind or their buried alive match. As a performer: HBK WM 25

1 - 20 of 22 Posts