Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright I don't get this.

Drew McIntryre isn't really going anywhere at the moment, so why do the announcers perpetually chant "This is the man chosen by the WWE chairman to be World Champion"??? fpalm

Is this going to be his life-long gimmick? The Chosen One who actually ISN'T the chosen one? He has been reduced to a tag-team contender who has teamed up with seemingly random partners beginning with a short-lived stint with Cody and now with Chavo 'Soaring Guerrero.

The man has a supercool intro, a sick finisher in the Future-Shock DDT and impressive looks. Where are things falling apart?

·
Super Moderator
19,327 Posts
I think WWE just had/has high hopes for the guy. Hopes that might not come to fruition.

But the guy is still young and green so we'll see.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,819 Posts
As we've relearned again with Ziggler becoming Intercontinental Champion, The Miz/Daniel Bryan feud, The Miz's MITB run, the Nexus/Cena angle and a few others, long-ranging storylines tend to have better payoffs than rushed ones. Some angles can't be short enough like this current Kane/Edge mess, but some should be allowed to be ongoing for as long as they should naturally live. McIntyre being anointed by Mr. McMahon as a future world champion is such a case. And with the wacky Nexus attack/Vince coma angle, they openly stated that McIntyre would no longer be protected six momnths back, meaning that his push towards the top would be on hold for the indefinite future.

All they have to do is bring Vince back into the picture nine months, a year, two years from now and follow through with it all and IWC fans and critics will be wetting their pants at the "epicness" of it all.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Alright I don't get this.

Drew McIntryre isn't really going anywhere at the moment, so why do the announcers perpetually chant "This is the man chosen by the WWE chairman to be World Champion"??? fpalm

Is this going to be his life-long gimmick? The Chosen One who actually ISN'T the chosen one? He has been reduced to a tag-team contender who has teamed up with seemingly random partners beginning with a short-lived stint with Cody and now with Chavo 'Soaring Guerrero.

The man has a supercool intro, a sick finisher in the Future-Shock DDT and impressive looks. Where are things falling apart?
i agree, i really like the guy. i think its just a case of they dont know what to do with him but they still put him on tv

·
#RiseAbove
1,471 Posts
He WILL still become champion.

I don't know why people think he won't become champion because he isn't champion yet.

It'll take time.

·
Registered
10,590 Posts
Drew is Smackdown's Ted DiBiase, no one gives a fuck or no one cares to give a fuck.

He's boring, bland and his moveset just puts you to sleep. I get he's supposed to be aggressive but can he be aggressive and somewhat entertaining at the same time? And sure maybe it's the current era of booking that makes McIntyre seem bland, but hey others who are also bland and green still get a decent pop. Evan Bourne does. Mark Henry does. MVP (yes character wise this year, he was bland) got enormous pops. Drew....nothing.

If booking doesn't put you over at least let your matches. But the guys just so slow and boring in the ring.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
He is just a man who smirks and has a very small head. That does not constitute a gimmick. Maybe he has the ability to be a champion, who knows. What is there to be interested in with him really?

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
theyve done the right thing with him. push him and then asses the push level with the crowd reaction. i wish they did it more often, push him again when hes improved.

·
The Man
15,234 Posts
Unlike most newer wrestlers who may have talent but are given a generic character, McIntyre actually has a really good gimmick. This sinister thing could actually go far, and it's great to see a heel that isn't cowardly or a typical arrogant heel. The only problem is... McIntyre is pretty horrible and puts the crowd to sleep. It's a case of a good gimmick (and great theme music) and a bad talent.

·
Registered
262 Posts
LOL

On serious note, though, I watch Drew McIntyre matches to fall asleep.
Then you really are a fucking idiot. He's put together some of the best worked matches in 2010, and much of 2009 as well. He reminds many commentators of classical wrestlers such as Arn Anderson and William Regal, and rightfully so - he is the perfect embodiment of the true wrestler. And Drew has indeed gotten a hell of a lot of heat; several people in this forum have themselves seen the immense heat he's received in PPVs such as Over the Limit and others (of course these are people who actually GO OUT to see live events, not just shut-ins who base whatever they feel on what they see on TV or what sort of shit dirtsheets come up with). He hasn't even been placed in a true feud so I find these self-professed "judges of 'heat'" quite amusing - may I ask where you attained your degrees in heat assessment?

Some people, mostly the freaks who spend their entire lives reading through dirtsheets and pretending they're Johnny Ace's assistant, develop an irrational hatred of someone based on shit they read the internet. In this case, this is likely because they believed the dirtsheet reports of Triple H and Shawn Michaels favoring Drew, and since people hate them, the facts and anything he does do will be considered irrelevant in the face of their hatred. But like anyone cares what these people think.

The current storylines in Smackdown are pretty bad and plain right now, so I think the writers are the one to blame here. Sometimes when they pine for a good storyline, the wrestler they have in mind for that storyline won't get any decent ones prior to that. Case in point: Jack Swagger, who was jobbing in Raw and being featured in Superstars before he won the Money in the Bank. Anyone who knows anything about wrestling would know that Drew WILL be primed for a main event push in the very near future, and will prove himself to be the Chosen One. He has the looks, the feel, the aggression and everything you need to be a world beater.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Remember that Taker vs. Drew match? That was pretty sweet.

Hopefully he gets some mic time again and feels more relaxed so he doesn't "put people to sleep".
'Less of course they give him some sort of Wizard gimmick, I dunno.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts