54,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Accolades:

2 Time WWF World Champion
4 Time WCW World Champion
1 Time WWF Intercontinental Champion
1987 WWF King of the Ring Winner
1995 WCW World War 3 Winner

Rightfully considered one of the greatest wrestlers of all time. One of the few that was one of the complete packages with unmatched charisma, great promos, and a great in-ring performer. One of the most widely known and popular wrestlers in history, as well. Will never be forgotten.

Use this thread to post about any of Randy's great matches, promos, and moments throughout his legendary career.​

·
The Blue Meanie
15,837 Posts
Re: The Official 'Macho Man' Randy Savage Discussion Thread

Macho Man is one of my absolute favorites of all time. He had the ability to go from face to mad man, making each turn authentic.

Randy has a lot of great moments/matches but my all time favorite will always be his Mania reunion with Miss Elizabeth. Everything about that match and after was just so perfect.

I still can't believe these two are actually married in this clip. Damn, they were good actors.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts

Holy shit, didn't even know that there was a thread dedicated to Savage. He might actually be my all-time favorite wrestler. His charisma was truly unmatched, his intensity was off the charts, his in-ring ability was masterclass and his promo skills rivalled Ric Flair's. One of the closest we've ever seen to a total package. Absolutely brilliant, larger-than-life, one of a kind performer.

I'll just leave these gems here.

·
Team Narcisse
7,939 Posts

The Warrior vs Savage match is my fav WM match all time. The emotional roller coaster was just insane how well they pulled it off. I went from hating Savage to wanting to Warrior to beat him so bad. My 12 year old self nearly had a heart attack when he covered him after the five elbows. The. To sudden joy when Warrior won. Then to the tears as the master piece that took place after the match happened. Just utter brilliance. I have his feud with Hogan as the greatest one on one buildup in wrestling history.

I challenge people to find valid criticism against this man as a performer. Good luck.

·
The Blue Meanie
15,837 Posts

Does anyone know if Savage was ever considered FOTC by WWE? I get that Hogan is/was ridiculously charismatic but Randy was the total package.

·
Is a Becky Lynch Guy
2,104 Posts

In addition to his awesome in-ring work, I always loved Macho Man's promos. I always felt he had unmatched intensity when it came to promos. The guy could have read the nutrition facts on a cereal box and made it sound badass.

·
Banned
10,735 Posts

He transcended wrestling, not Mt Rushmore material but one of the most well known and iconic wrestlers ever.

Back in the day there was Hogan, and there was Macho Man. Ultimate Warrior had his time, but Macho Man always felt like the real number 2. To this day one of the most unique performers ever, people still imitate his voice and catch phrases even now. And it's still cool and funny. Some guy's promos cannot be imitated, and he is one of them. And that's not even getting into his wrestling ability...that elbow drop

:banderas

First thing I think of whenever I see a beautiful Kairi Hojo elbow drop

I also think him and Miss Elizabeth was one of the best kayfabe couples in pro wrestling history. And I don't know if Savage was the first to say the cream rises to the top, but that sure does get quoted a lot

The next video requires that you have a sense of humor

·
Team Narcisse
7,939 Posts

Does anyone know if Savage was ever considered FOTC by WWE? I get that Hogan is/was ridiculously charismatic but Randy was the total package.
From what I've read the numbers in 88-89, even after he turned heel, supported keeping the belt on him at WM5, but Vince just wasnt having it.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts

Perhaps for a brief period in 1992 after he took the title off Flair. Hogan was gone, Warrior JUST returned and it seemed like, while transitional, Savage was the lead guy for a "CUPPA COFFEE YEAH" while the product was beginning to shift towards the workhorses.

·
Is a Becky Lynch Guy
2,104 Posts

From what I've read the numbers in 88-89, even after he turned heel, supported keeping the belt on him at WM5, but Vince just wasnt having it.
That sucks, because I would have been interested in seeing where a heel Macho Man reign would have gone.

·
The Blue Meanie
15,837 Posts
Re: The 'Macho Man' Randy Savage Discussion Thread

Thanks @Flair Flop and @DAMN SKIPPY

For the record, I understand completely why Hogan was FOTC until the wheels spun off. His charisma alone carried the WWE into a mainstream audience. But I was just curious if Hogan ever got any recognition for what he brought to the company. I think part of Savage's genius is that he was legitimately living out his persona.

I used to make my mom buy me slim Jims because of those commercials.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
54,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I remember reading somewhere that when the belt went to Savage, that business really didn't fall off much at all. Bret says it in Savage's WWE documentary, as well. Savage was really beloved there for awhile.

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts

The true GOAT.

If you want to talk about all-time stupid bookings it was Savage getting shackled to Hogan for his face/title run in '88 just to get turned back to be a jobber for Hogan in '89.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
54,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The true GOAT.

If you want to talk about all-time stupid bookings it was Savage getting shackled to Hogan for his face/title run in '88 just to get turned back to be a jobber for Hogan in '89.
Yep. Just as bad, at least IMO, was Hogan coming out at the end of WM 4 after Savage had just won the Title for the first time and there's Hogan to celebrate with Randy & Liz and try to steal Randy's spotlight on his big night. Like...really? Give him ONE night, especially after he had just wrestled MULTIPLE matches that night to win his FIRST World Title. Christ.

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts

Savage is to me personally, the greatest all-around wrestler of all time. I mean when it comes to wrestling, mic work, charisma, a look, he has it all.

He's the guy I always mention when someone brings up best all around wrestlers.

He was also in my favorite superhero movie of all time.
he's up there with my all time favorites. Right next to Piper, Foley, Kobashi, KENTA.

So good.

·
Banned
10,735 Posts

Supposedly Macho Man was uncomfortable with talking and doing promos, so he overcompensated and obsessed over all of his promos and interviews like a perfectionist. A lot of what seemed random and off the cuff was stuff he had practiced and rehearsed and put a lot of thought into writing.

I remember a Lanny Poffo interview where he talked about how Macho Man had to work on overcoming his fear of talking and promos. Seems ironic now

·
The Blue Meanie
15,837 Posts

Yep. Just as bad, at least IMO, was Hogan coming out at the end of WM 4 after Savage had just won the Title for the first time and there's Hogan to celebrate with Randy & Liz and try to steal Randy's spotlight on his big night. Like...really? Give him ONE night, especially after he had just wrestled MULTIPLE matches that night to win his FIRST World Title. Christ.
It's crazy how a child and an adult see things. As a kid, I thought Hogan just wanted to celebrate with Randy because they were best friends and part of the Mega Powers.

I didn't get a clue about these things until I was 13.

·
Team Narcisse
7,939 Posts

Supposedly Macho Man was uncomfortable with talking and doing promos, so he overcompensated and obsessed over all of his promos and interviews like a perfectionist. A lot of what seemed random and off the cuff was stuff he had practiced and rehearsed and put a lot of thought into writing.

I remember a Lanny Poffo interview where he talked about how Macho Man had to work on overcoming his fear of talking and promos. Seems ironic now
I've always understood that he was like that with all aspects of what he does out there. That he had his robes designed in a way that would make him look bigger than he actually is coming down to the ring. If the top of my head I can remember Flair and Hogan talking about how insane it was the level of thought he put into his matches. Hogan specifically talking about how some backstage were worried about the WM7 match with Warrior but that he had no doubt that Savage would pull off something special.

It also deserves a mention that he was the first to work the dynamic of having a heel wrestler working with a beloved manager. If someone did it before him please someone correct me but I cant think of anyone that pulled that off before him and Elizabeth did.

·
The Blue Meanie
15,837 Posts

I've always understood that he was like that with all aspects of what he does out there. That he had his robes designed in a way that would make him look bigger than he actually is coming down to the ring. If the top of my head I can remember Flair and Hogan talking about how insane it was the level of thought he put into his matches. Hogan specifically talking about how some backstage were worried about the WM7 match with Warrior but that he had no doubt that Savage would pull off something special.

It also deserves a mention that he was the first to work the dynamic of having a heel wrestler working with a beloved manager. If someone did it before him please someone correct me but I cant think of anyone that pulled that off before him and Elizabeth did.
:clap :clap

I can't get over how those two pulled this off, not just the heel/face dynamic but being married the entire time. I guess back then it was easier to hide things. There was no social media and dirt sheets weren't that invasive but the acting between them. I really believed they were falling in love. All the while, they were nearing a divorce by the time Mania and their Summerslam "wedding" came about.

80's wrestlers were truly a different breed. Something just clicked. I'm sure the cocaine helped but everyone was so larger than life and made you believe.

·
Registered
16,458 Posts

Just a reminder that Bruce Prichard will be talking about Macho Man Randy Savage for 4hrs on his podcast today. Should be a great episode.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts