Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple years ago all WWE referees changed the speed of their count. It was made much faster and the arm was no longer swinging back to count.

I strongly oppose this. Earl Hebner had the slow three count mastered. He knew it gave the fans time to get suspenseful, leading to a much bigger pop once the three count hits. Notice his slow count when Mankind won the title. Imagine the same moment with a referee of today. The fans wouldn't even have time to count 1-2-3 the way they did with Earl's slow count.

Does this bother you or it didn't come to your attention?

·
The Cornerstone Of The Corner Store
3,164 Posts
I like it the way it is. No overdramatic, overly-slow counts. It's more realistic this way (well, as realistic as pro-wrestling can get). I do like the slow count after a ref had been knocked out, but other than that I don't think there's anything wrong with the way referees count.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,420 Posts
Yeah, I almost forgot just how good Hebner could actually be back in his heyday. You know, when he wasn't busy pimping bootleg WWE merch and milking the dusty teat of the Montreal Screwjob at every TNA house show ever.

Still thought his counts were too fast during most matches though. 1.2....kickout.

Mike Chioda is the best ref ever. Don't know why I'm such a mark for a referee, but Mike's the Man!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Always loved how Hebner would do that split-second spazz out and stretch out every time he did 2. That let you know the person was about to kick out.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
The only slow counts we see now are when the ref has been 'accidentally' struck by the talent

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
I loved the "sloooooooow" counts. Especially when one would kick out with JR screaming his lungs out. Even when Cole used to scream "Not this way! Not this way!" instead of mostly no selling it like they do these days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts