Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

Now I was contemplating the fact that the new stars that WWE have right now (ala CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Sheamus, Dolph Ziggler, Cody Rhodes, etc - I'd like to add Wade Barret, but face it WWE doesn't treat him like a star) don't have the level of character development needed for the fans to really invest in them.

One of the best ways for a new guy with huge potential to come up in the old days was to be a "protege" of a legend. Have a legend who's great on the mic and on a much lighter schedule than the active roster manage and guide the up and comer.
I don't mean a full time manager who never does jack shit other than talk like Vickie or Ricardo Rodriguez. I mean someone like Flair was with HHH or Batista in that they can both be in the wrestlers corner, get involved in their matches and very occasionally as a special attraction, tag with them.
Someone who knows the business, is massively over with the crowd and can once in blue moon, go in the ring.

With all this talk that WWE has to bring back old stars like HBK, the Rock or part timers like HHH or Taker for pumping up buy rates, why not have them take a talented guy like Punk under their wing and show up couple of times a month and skip house shows, etc.

The closest thing we've had is Miz-Alex Riley and face it, Miz doesn't fit the bill for a legend passing on his skills and endorisng "the next big thing".
I'd like you to suggest current wrestlers and legends who are in good stead with WWE to guide them.
Pair up your favourites!

eg.

a heel HBK mentoring a heel Daniel Bryan would be awesome.

Foley and Punk come across to me as a good combo, but they're both brilliant on the mic, so its hardest to find people who can hang with them there.

I really want to see Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase Sr taking Wade Barret under his wing. Wade would do good as a aristocratic figure. He seems evil and mastermindish very convincingly

·
Registered
890 Posts
I agree but it makes more sense to use backstage agents & current stars. They're already there & nothing wrong with screen time. Having this start on NXT would be a good idea. I could see Michael "PS" Hayes managing Michael McGillicutty. A couple backstage segments & promos could do wonders.

·
Its Yer'sel
6,148 Posts
Jericho mentored Barrett early on in his NXT career, its mentioned and shown on Jerichos DVD, about how both of them found the developmental side of the opportunity to be invaluable to both in someways.

·
Registered
14,605 Posts
William Regal as a heel manager of Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler and Wade Barrett would be a great stable IMO.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
McGillicutty being associated with someone like Regal could be really good for him, have Regal help bring out his ruthless side.

Ted DiBiase acting as the money man for Barrett could also be very entertaining, maybe even use DiBiase Jnr to help push him some more

Roddy Pipper would also work really well with a protege, trouble is I can't really think of who, maybe someone like Hawkins who could play the brash cocky young heel

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roddy Piper and Dean Ambrose seems like a match made in heaven to me.

As cool as Regal is and Hayes too to some extent, they just dont have the appeal of someone like Piper, or Dusty Rhodes or HBK imo.

·
Premium Member
9,453 Posts
Roddy Piper and Dean Ambrose seems like a match made in heaven to me.

As cool as Regal is and Hayes too to some extent, they just dont have the appeal of someone like Piper, or Dusty Rhodes or HBK imo.
The thing is Roddy or Dusty might overshadow the protege just because their personalities are so big. Sort of like what happened with Ric Flair managing A.J. Styles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts