Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally got round to start watching WWE '08 and as of writing this I've just finished the Rumble '08. But seriously, what the hell was up with the crowd? There was no logic behind their cheers and boos whatsoever.

All of the following are taken from the actual Rumble match.

First we have Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka, he comes out to basically nothing, literally if I was Snuka I would've felt seriously embarrassed.
Then straight after Snuka, Roddy Piper comes out to a very generous pop, how can Snuka get next to nothing but Piper gets everyone on their feet?

Now for the ending:

We have Triple H come in at number 29, HHH here is an obvious fan favourite and has pop of the night, fair enough.

Now for number 30, John Cena makes his surprise return, returning after 3 months being out of injury, no one expected it, the crowd goes fucking nuts, eclipsing Triple H's pop by a milestone and despite somewhat of a dislike for Cena, this is is (for me) one of the best pops I've heard, ever. The roof is literally blown off and after a word exchange with HHH, Cena starts clearing out the ring. You'd think the crowd would be right behind Cena with a typical return and capture the title storyline instead of yet another Triple H title run.

Long story short we're down to HHH and Cena, now you'd think judging how at this point Cena's probably just had the biggest pop in the past 5 years that the crowd are gonna be right behind him, yeah? Wrong. The fans actually start booing Cena when he's gaining an advantage over HHH, both guys realise there's an obvious divide and start the "You punch me, I punch you, crowd cheers me, crowd boos you". So the match is drawing to an end, Cena hits the shoulder block - protoplex - 5 Knuckle Shuffle, all to extremely loud boos, Cena even takes awhile to hit the 5KS riling up the crowd and goes far enough as to point at the crowd before the "You can't see me" gesture. The match ends with Cena hitting the AA on Triple H sending him out the ring.

Now for more crowd logic: he gets another standing ovation, the crowd goes apeshit again and they cheer their asses off. They just spent the past 10 mins booing this guy and now they cheer like maniacs.

So, tldr; if anyone can explain to me the logic of the crowd that night, I'm all ears.

·
Banned
286 Posts
WWE fans are idiots. Especially those in New York.

·
Registered
897 Posts
A lot of fans go to shows to just yell and experience the atmosphere. A fair amount will just go along with the rest of the crowd without actually thinking about it.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
Here is a breakdown of what went through my head:

"Oh man Triple H is cleaning house, dude it gonna win the Rumble. Sweeeeeet. Number 30 is coming up, wait, everyone has already came in, then who the hell is number 30? 10, 9 8 I hope its someone good 2, 1...........OMGWTFBBQ ITS JAWN CENA STANDING THERE! OH MA GAWD ITS JOHN CENA! WHERE THE HELL DID HE COME FROM? I THOUGHT HE WAS INJURED! TRIPLE H IS GONNA SHIT HIMSELF! Aw hell yeah, Cena is beating down Triple H, wait a second, didnt I hate this guy? Yeah, i did, i remember i had that party when he got injured., why the fuck am i cheering him then? FUCK YOU CENA! YOU SUUUUUCK. GO BACK TO YOUR GOAT FUCKING! Holy shit he just took out TRIPLE H OH MA GAWD HE's GOING TO WRESTLEMANIA! HELL YEAH!

I think its a good breakdown of the average smark mentality at the time. We werent the most clever bunch.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
Yeah, what has been mentioned...its a New York crowd. You only get crowds like that in certain cities. It's makes you remember that a crowd can actually be alive unlike now a days when they just sit there, expressionless.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Yeah, what has been mentioned...its a New York crowd. You only get crowds like that in certain cities. It's makes you remember that a crowd can actually be alive unlike now a days when they just sit there, expressionless.
I agree.

However, i was there at the event. I didn't understand why Triple H got a huge pop. I was like "seriously? You guys want to see this asshole yet again in the main event of Wrestlemania?"

Then Cena came out and I was shocked and excited because someone else could win now, as opposed to "Triple H is probably goign to win". I stayed cheering Cena, but it seemed like the rest of the crowd was like "Oh yeah, we hate Cena. We forgot. Booooo".

Snuka got no reaction cause, really, does anyone truly care about Snuka anymore? But WWE did it in a way you did. Piper coming out made people remember the Piper vs Snuka rivalry, whereas just Snuka coming out meant nothing.

·
BLUE IS BACK
9,773 Posts
Here is a breakdown of what went through my head:

"Oh man Triple H is cleaning house, dude it gonna win the Rumble. Sweeeeeet. Number 30 is coming up, wait, everyone has already came in, then who the hell is number 30? 10, 9 8 I hope its someone good 2, 1...........OMGWTFBBQ ITS JAWN CENA STANDING THERE! OH MA GAWD ITS JOHN CENA! WHERE THE HELL DID HE COME FROM? I THOUGHT HE WAS INJURED! TRIPLE H IS GONNA SHIT HIMSELF! Aw hell yeah, Cena is beating down Triple H, wait a second, didnt I hate this guy? Yeah, i did, i remember i had that party when he got injured., why the fuck am i cheering him then? FUCK YOU CENA! YOU SUUUUUCK. GO BACK TO YOUR GOAT FUCKING! Holy shit he just took out TRIPLE H OH MA GAWD HE's GOING TO WRESTLEMANIA! HELL YEAH!

I think its a good breakdown of the average smark mentality at the time. We werent the most clever bunch.
this...

·
WWE Golden Era Sim League President
3,295 Posts
I've finally got round to start watching WWE '08 and as of writing this I've just finished the Rumble '08. But seriously, what the hell was up with the crowd? There was no logic behind their cheers and boos whatsoever.

All of the following are taken from the actual Rumble match.

First we have Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka, he comes out to basically nothing, literally if I was Snuka I would've felt seriously embarrassed.
Then straight after Snuka, Roddy Piper comes out to a very generous pop, how can Snuka get next to nothing but Piper gets everyone on their feet?

Now for the ending:

We have Triple H come in at number 29, HHH here is an obvious fan favourite and has pop of the night, fair enough.

Now for number 30, John Cena makes his surprise return, returning after 3 months being out of injury, no one expected it, the crowd goes fucking nuts, eclipsing Triple H's pop by a milestone and despite somewhat of a dislike for Cena, this is is (for me) one of the best pops I've heard, ever. The roof is literally blown off and after a word exchange with HHH, Cena starts clearing out the ring. You'd think the crowd would be right behind Cena with a typical return and capture the title storyline instead of yet another Triple H title run.

Long story short we're down to HHH and Cena, now you'd think judging how at this point Cena's probably just had the biggest pop in the past 5 years that the crowd are gonna be right behind him, yeah? Wrong. The fans actually start booing Cena when he's gaining an advantage over HHH, both guys realise there's an obvious divide and start the "You punch me, I punch you, crowd cheers me, crowd boos you". So the match is drawing to an end, Cena hits the shoulder block - protoplex - 5 Knuckle Shuffle, all to extremely loud boos, Cena even takes awhile to hit the 5KS riling up the crowd and goes far enough as to point at the crowd before the "You can't see me" gesture. The match ends with Cena hitting the AA on Triple H sending him out the ring.

Now for more crowd logic: he gets another standing ovation, the crowd goes apeshit again and they cheer their asses off. They just spent the past 10 mins booing this guy and now they cheer like maniacs.

So, tldr; if anyone can explain to me the logic of the crowd that night, I'm all ears.
Easy...New York/Toronto/Montreal (can't think of any others off the top of my head) don't sit like a bunch of sheep and do exactly what Vince McMahon tells them to do, they actually have brains.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Pretty simple really.

They cheered a lot when he came out because it was completely unexpected, they basically made a lot of noise because they weren't prepared.

They boo while he's wrestling because they realise they hate Cena.

They cheer at the end because they figure they may aswell try and enjoy themselves while they're there.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
You're surprised Snuka didn't get a pop? I'm 23 and Snuka was long forgotten when I was a kid. Most of the crowd doesn't remember him...or Piper, for that matter. Sad but true.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
You're surprised Snuka didn't get a pop? I'm 23 and Snuka was long forgotten when I was a kid. Most of the crowd doesn't remember him...or Piper, for that matter. Sad but true.
No Piper could still outpop half of the roster as shown by Old School Raw.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
The people who called the NY crowd idiots were told to say so by Vince. How dare people go against what the WWE wanted you to do?! WHAT ASSHOLES.

It's when the crowd starts disrespecting the performers when they're doing great out there, is when I call foul.

·
Charismatic Enigma
4,103 Posts
Am I seriously seeing dislike on New york crowds? fuck all of you

anyway Im pretty sure the crowd that was booing him since the beggining just got louder than the cheering side is all

1 - 20 of 24 Posts