Wrestling Forum banner

161 - 180 of 220 Posts

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
Re: Halle Bailey lands the lead role in live adaptation of The Little Mermaid.

So Deep Ones then?
Children of Father Dagon and Mother Hydra, eager for human sacrifice to offer Great Cthulhu

·
Benson, Charisma and Camila Mendes Fan. King Of Th
16,551 Posts

I'm not going to judge this purely on a issue, I don't have an issue with Halle Bailey getting the lead role. She has a wonderful voice and as long as she entertains me since I am going to be watching this movie, then it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts

Never heard of this chick. Read it as Halle Berry and thought "isnt she a bit old for that?"

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts

Never heard of this chick. Read it as Halle Berry and thought "isnt she a bit old for that?"
Hey man she looked better than ever in Extant and that was only four years ago

:book

Reactions: Stormbringer

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

Children of Father Dagon and Mother Hydra, eager for human sacrifice to offer Great Cthulhu
Funny enough, Zenescope's Little Mermaid comic had creatures that were like Deep Ones.

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts

Funny enough, Zenescope's Little Mermaid comic had creatures that were like Deep Ones.
This makes me want a Little Mermaid movie directed by David Lynch so bad :mark:

Or John Carpenter's first directing job in 10 years :mark:

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Black women getting excited over Ariel being Black is beyond pathetic. This whole woke culture is just cringy.

People will complain about white washing but be perfectly fine with black washing, brown washing, women washing, gay washing, people should at the least be consistent. We know there would outrage if Black Panther was turned white, or Static Shock, and especially Storm. In fact, Black women were infuriated because the woman playing Strom wasn't dark enough and was biracial, but they're perfectly fine with a Black woman playing Ariel?

·
Banned
2,427 Posts

It's interesting that no one had an opinion on my recasting of Shaft as a lithuanian.

Anyways, here are some other famous black characters that we could possibly re-imagine for the future.

- Fat Albert but as a fat white dude

- Blade but as a native american

- Luke Cage but chinese

- Fresh Prince but mexican

- Axel Foley but indian

- Aunt Jemima but as a southern white woman

If there's no good reason Ariel can't be black, there's no good reason any of these couldn't work either. And yet call it a hunch but I have just a small feeling certain people would take issue with some of them.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

People are talking as if for 100 years Hollywood execs haven't been handed a headshot across a table of a person of colour and thought "nah, it'll never sell". But do you get a 9 page thread or even a story of everytime a black person is passed over for a white person?

·
Premium Member
17,159 Posts

I'm insinuating nothing. I just don't like you, or your shitty views (that you hide ever so well)
I looked up the #notmyariel tag on Twitter and found 4 people using it in anger all day yesterday. By that I mean the other thousands of uses are from people saying "the #notmyariel is horrible" or "I can't believe all these racist people" etc.

The whole idea people don't want a black girl casted for ariel was from a couple people. The outrage against people against a black actress started before the outrage, started by people like you. You immediately quote @Ultron and try to twist his post, have him confess to being racist. You baited him and should get a warning for that.

Almost no one is against a black Ariel. There are more people claiming that people are against a black Ariel then people who are actually against it. There are more people, like you, actively going out of their way to find people against black Ariel than people actually against black Ariel.

I'm backing out of this conversation because at this point, I'm noticing that this really has taken some major racist undertones, unlike some discussions about certain other movies in the past.

The kinds of things I'm seeing being shared from twitter and facebook are despicable. Too despicable to share ITT even imo. The backlash here is not entirely the same as it has been for other movies thus far where it was just fans trying to talk to people about their concerns over characterization.
I don't blame you for not wanting to be in here. But, I'm curious as to the backlash you found. I've seen next to nothing. I've seen a few tweets, since the announcement, against a black Ariel. This feels like publicity to get attention to this movie. This feels like defenders of the cast choice existed before the hatred.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts

The Little Mermaid was the first movie I saw on the cinema so I have a huge connection with it and still I am not outraged by this like others are. This is completely a non issue.

No one said Mermaids had to be white and even if they did whats so wrong with this? I am sure she'll be fine in her role. I bet she is really happy to play the part.

With that said I still haven't liked a single Disney remake so my hopes for this movie are still at an all time low, but whatever my complaint is, it wont be skin colour.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #173

Damn im the OP and even I didnt expect this kind of response to this thread.

I was mainly doing it for shits and giggles from what Iv seen on twitter and just sharing it with yall for a good laugh.

But I understand where a lot of you guys are coming from from different sides.

Ariel is a fictional character about non existing creatures so many say its not that serious or deep what race or color she is.

But when you change up an established well loved character who is world renowned like Ariel plus adding in peoples nostalgia and childhood some people take issue with that.

The creator made her white,keep her as white. It was his original vision. Id say as long as the creator doesn't have a problem with it do what you want. He's the original creator he should have final say.

Now people do love it when they feel THEIR race,culture,heritage is being represented.

Look no further than this match from the Mae Young Classics 2017.

Majority of us see this one time and move on most likely to never watch it again cause there was nothing major speical about this match, expect for one thing...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S9TZNPmEBnk&list=PLqIVmFaHA8Boo3_XnUiNrjpLePw_5wGX8&index=56&t=0s

This is the first time an India woman is competing in a WWE wrestling ring. Look at that view count. 44 million, 44 MILLION views on an otherwise average match that would probably get two and a half stars. I dont think the second most viewed WWE video even gets close to that number.

I guarantee you the African America movie going audience will increase for The Little Mermaid cause Halle Bailey is playing Ariel.

This could turn out to be a good movie.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

This makes me want a Little Mermaid movie directed by David Lynch so bad :mark:

Or John Carpenter's first directing job in 10 years :mark:
Umm ok then.

·
From parts unknown
23,258 Posts

Damn im the OP and even I didnt expect this kind of response to this thread.

I was mainly doing it for shits and giggles from what Iv seen on twitter and just sharing it with yall for a good laugh.

But I understand where a lot of you guys are coming from from different sides.

Ariel is a fictional character about non existing creatures so many say its not that serious or deep what race or color she is.

But when you change up an established well loved character who is world renowned like Ariel plus adding in peoples nostalgia and childhood some people take issue with that.

The creator made her white,keep her as white. It was his original vision. Id say as long as the creator doesn't have a problem with it do what you want. He's the original creator he should have final say.

Now people do love it when they feel THEIR race,culture,heritage is being represented.

Look no further than this match from the Mae Young Classics 2017.

Majority of us see this one time and move on most likely to never watch it again cause there was nothing major speical about this match, expect for one thing...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S9TZNPmEBnk&list=PLqIVmFaHA8Boo3_XnUiNrjpLePw_5wGX8&index=56&t=0s

This is the first time an India woman is competing in a WWE wrestling ring. Look at that view count. 44 million, 44 MILLION views on an otherwise average match that would probably get two and a half stars. I dont think the second most viewed WWE video even gets close to that number.

I guarantee you the African America movie going audience will increase for The Little Mermaid cause Halle Bailey is playing Ariel.

This could turn out to be a good movie.
Yes. That's where it ends for me. It's not like Disney is gonna go Benoit on existing Red Head mermaid which has existed for decades and will continue to exist for decades.

Let the black girls have it. Both white and black kids will have their own princess. This is where this argument ends for me.

·
From parts unknown
23,258 Posts

I looked up the #notmyariel tag on Twitter and found 4 people using it in anger all day yesterday. By that I mean the other thousands of uses are from people saying "the #notmyariel is horrible" or "I can't believe all these racist people" etc.

The whole idea people don't want a black girl casted for ariel was from a couple people. The outrage against people against a black actress started before the outrage, started by people like you. You immediately quote @Ultron and try to twist his post, have him confess to being racist. You baited him and should get a warning for that.

Almost no one is against a black Ariel. There are more people claiming that people are against a black Ariel then people who are actually against it. There are more people, like you, actively going out of their way to find people against black Ariel than people actually against black Ariel.

I don't blame you for not wanting to be in here. But, I'm curious as to the backlash you found. I've seen next to nothing. I've seen a few tweets, since the announcement, against a black Ariel. This feels like publicity to get attention to this movie. This feels like defenders of the cast choice existed before the hatred.
The worst I've seen is black Ariel on a watermelon with exaggerated dehumanizing features. I've seen closed groups prop up called Make Ariel White Again.

The white supremacists have gotten a hold of this controversy and they're ramping it up...

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

The worst I've seen is black Ariel on a watermelon with exaggerated dehumanizing features. I've seen closed groups prop up called Make Ariel White Again.

The white supremacists have gotten a hold of this controversy and they're ramping it up...
This is why I don't use social media.

·
From parts unknown
23,258 Posts

This is why I don't use social media.
Yeah. It did not happen to this extent with any other characters before this. Ariel in particular is really attracting them for some reason.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

Yeah. It did not happen to this extent with any other characters before this. Ariel in particular is really attracting them for some reason.
Its the Little Mermaid. It isn't even the best of Disney's animated movies.

Reactions: Stormbringer

·
From parts unknown
23,258 Posts

Its the Little Mermaid. It isn't even the best of Disney's animated movies.
IIRC there was a racist backlash over Tiana as well.

Eventually they got over that too.

They don't even have the attention span for their own causes and it's because they don't even genuinely believe their own outrage. They'll prevent black people from having things as long as they have the power to do so, but if they don't, there's not a damn thing they can do about it except bitch ...and then bitch again at the next one and so on and so forth

(Btw, I'm just talking about white supremacists here. Not people in general).

161 - 180 of 220 Posts