Wrestling Forum banner

141 - 160 of 220 Posts

·
Banned
2,427 Posts
Re: Halle Bailey lands the lead role in live adaptation of The Little Mermaid.

Are you serious? Because even a retarded monkey would notice that's an exact photoshop of an old Ariel picture.

And besides, why would it need to look exactly the same, aside from people's inability to move on from their childhood memories? As long as they don't make this new Ariel a feminazi that flips off the Prince just because, her skin color makes no difference whatsoever.

Ariel's white skin and red hair are not iconic. They just happened to be like that because the story was written by a guy who had no idea there would have been a time where people of all kinds would be represented in movies. I'm more pissed about freaking Valkirye played by a black woman than this, frankly.
a photoshop of ariel, NOT ariel.

thanks for proving my point.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts

congrats you're one of the 1000 people that were aware this movie existed.(Y)
Probably but that 1000 people (including me) are the only people who care casting choices lol

I'm more pissed about freaking Valkirye played by a black woman than this, frankly.
Well she played a Valkirye, theres still a chance Brunnhilde could show up maybe as a ghost or maybe her soul transfers into the character Barbara Norriss

·
Registered
6,712 Posts

^nobody would look at this pic and say "hey look it's ariel"

not ONE person.

the same would happen with a white jasmine and a chinese belle. for to you say skin color isn't a factor in their identity is just wrong headed. by that logic skin color isn't a factor in ANY character's identity.

fuck sam jackson, let's cast donnie yen in the next shaft movie.
No red hair. :shrug

The new Jasmine did get a lot of backlash from libtards that she wasn't middle eastern. Movie and character was still alright though.

Belle is french but played by a British. o_O

Skin color isn't the most important factor of the character. Unless one cannot see past it. Not all white people are the same.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts

wow you're really delusional :lol

nobody outside of the avid comic book readers knew who nick fury was. if iron man and thor were considered b-list and c-list characters prior to the MCU then nick fury might as well have been a relative unknown. i even used to collect marvel cards as a kid and i didn't have a single card of his. i knew characters like adam warlock and longshot before i knew who nick fury was.

it's precisely the reason why they were able to easily reinvent the character as a bald black man without any fuss. nobody gave a shit because nobody had a frame of reference.
So essentially, because viewers had no frame of reference for the Nick Fury character, the movie makers were able to hire a talented black actor who made the role his own without sacrificing anything about the character itself? And now that's how everyone views the character?

Sounds great, maybe we should stop obsessing over these frames of reference and start being a little more open minded? Much better than everyone crying because they're simply used to a character looking white

·
Banned
2,427 Posts

So essentially, because viewers had no frame of reference for the Nick Fury character, the movie makers were able to hire a talented black actor who made the role his own without sacrificing anything about the character itself? And now that's how everyone views the character?

Sounds great, maybe we should stop obsessing over these frames of reference and start being a little more open minded? Much better than everyone crying because they're simply used to a character looking white
if you're okay with a lithuanian dude playing shaft in the next reboot, then sure i'm game.

(Y)

WHO'S THE WHITE PRIVATE EYE
SLINGIN DICK BETWEEN THEM THIGHS?

SHAFT!

YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT!

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

a photoshop of ariel, NOT ariel.

thanks for proving my point.
... and? So "this is an Ariel photoshop" prevents me from understanding that the one in the picture is Ariel with dark skin and hair? Are we reaching a bit, hm?

Well she played a Valkirye, theres still a chance Brunnhilde could show up maybe as a ghost or maybe her soul transfers into the character Barbara Norriss
Well yeah, but whether it's a Valkirye or the Valkirye, when did a Norse semi-deity was ever black? By the way, the same logic applies to Heimdall.

Not that it irks me a lot, but certainly more than a mermaid whose skin color was never a defining part of her character at all.

·
Registered
17,497 Posts

Eh if Tom Cruise can save a bunch of Asians in Last Samurai, then Halle Bailey can save a bunch of fish in The Little Mermaid. I don't think this is a case of SJW propaganda or whatever nonsense people spew these days. Keep in mind that Disney adapts stories hundreds of years old and from my knowledge the original Little Mermaid doesn't delve too much on her skin tone iirc, correct me if I'm wrong. Regardless however, who cares honestly? Also:

Fucking yes please :mark:.
We're not allowed nice things.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,910 Posts

Well yeah, but whether it's a Valkirye or the Valkirye, when did a Norse semi-deity was ever black? By the way, the same logic applies to Heimdall.

Not that it irks me a lot, but certainly more than a mermaid whose skin color was never a defining part of her character at all.
Especially when hes been called "the whitest of the gods" lol.

·
40,760 Posts

This is not quite the best analogy, for the Sidney Lumet-directed The Wiz was expressly about using the connective tissue of the classic The Wizard of Oz story to engender an understanding of American blacks. The Wizard of Oz's's--and by association, its protagonist Dorothy's--universality lent itself toward the goal in plain, straightforward cultural shorthand. In that sense it was not unlike Orson Welles producing the Federal Theatre Project's "Voodoo Macbeth" with an all-black cast, shifting the tale of William Shakespeare's from Scotland to a fictional island in the Caribbean.

Having said that, personally do not care about these largely forgettable Disney-sanctioned "live action remakes" as they are called. Beauty and the Beast, for instance, was instantly forgotten in spite of making a lot of money.

Halle Bailey seems terrifically talented in the realm of singing. Carl Anderson was cast as Judas Iscariot primarily for his sensational singing voice in the 1973 rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar.

When blacks were understandably appreciating and enjoying the experience of Black Panther a significant segment of whites wondered aloud why representation in cinema mattered so much to them, which was a bizarre (and doubtless often dishonest) query. Displaying consistency with this if one wishes to engage in it would be best for all, but that is probably too much for which to wish.
This post was way longer and more in depth than anything I was talking about. I was merely saying a famous black singer played Dorothy and this happened decades ago. Dorothy's skin color doesn't matter in the same way Ariel's skin color doesn't matter. Just need to be able to sing. Dorothy and Ariel both need to evoke emotion in the audience via song. If that happens then there is magic.

lol...as for black Nick Fury, he's black Nick Fury because a comic book called The Ultimates had Nick Fury looking like Samuel L. Jackson. So it's actually from the comics that Nick Fury is Samuel L. Jackson. The Ultimates are an alternate take on The Avengers, but it's still The Avengers.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,029 Posts

This post was way longer and more in depth than anything I was talking about. I was merely saying a famous black singer played Dorothy and this happened decades ago. Dorothy's skin color doesn't matter in the same way Ariel's skin color doesn't matter. Just need to be able to sing. Dorothy and Ariel both need to evoke emotion in the audience via song. If that happens then there is magic.
Understood but you cannot stop me from being sweetly pedantic! :)

Reactions: MrMister

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

Were people this mad when Aquaman was played by Jason "The Flyin' Hawaiian" Mamoa?
Not that I remember. But then again before that movie, no one cared about Aquaman.

·
The Mister Abigail Experience
5,690 Posts

I'm not bothered enough to care, but-

It isn't that the girl is the wrong race. It's that she's the wrong colour. Wait. I'll explain.

The cartoon little mermaid has a distinct colour palette. White flesh, a particular red hair, purple and the blue-green tail. You change any one of those colours, even to a different shade red for the hair and it looks off. It's like if Spider-man had an orange and blue suit. It seems off. It's branding. It becomes iconic.

Cartoon characters have defined palettes, so when it's going to be altered, some people have a negative reaction.

·
Registered
340 Posts

First thing that came in my mind when i heard the news
I mean if you want diversity make new characters?

·
Banned
36 Posts

Would have preferred Ariana Grande but don't really care TBH.

·
From parts unknown
23,258 Posts

I'm backing out of this conversation because at this point, I'm noticing that this really has taken some major racist undertones, unlike some discussions about certain other movies in the past.

The kinds of things I'm seeing being shared from twitter and facebook are despicable. Too despicable to share ITT even imo. The backlash here is not entirely the same as it has been for other movies thus far where it was just fans trying to talk to people about their concerns over characterization.

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts

I don't see what the problem is? It's a fucking mermaid. Mermaids aren't humans. They can breathe underwater. They have fish tails instead of legs and feet. If we didn't give them cute faces and boobs, they'd be Lovecraftian horrors. Which they still pretty much are anyway. When the original animated movie was made, I guarantee you Ariel's skin color was decided based on marketing, aka little white girls and their parents are the most profitable demographic for this kind of movie, so Ariel's skin will be white. If 'what should Ariel's skin color be?' EVEN CAME THE FUCK UP. It was nothing intrinsic to the character

So make the Little Mermaid's human skin whatever color you feel like?

Reactions: ObsoleteMule

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

I don't see what the problem is? It's a fucking mermaid. Mermaids aren't humans. They can breathe underwater. They have fish tails instead of legs and feet. If we didn't give them cute faces and boobs, they'd be Lovecraftian horrors. Which they still pretty much are anyway

So make the Little Mermaid's human skin whatever color you feel like?
So Deep Ones then?

141 - 160 of 220 Posts