Wrestling Forum banner

121 - 140 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Re: Halle Bailey lands the lead role in live adaptation of The Little Mermaid.

And once again you come into a thread to spout nonsense while intentionally missing the point...
Too pussy to post your reply here and have to resort to a neg thinking I can't reply to your dumb retort.

Yes I used the term colored. Because you bloody used the term in the first place.

Accuse others of sprouting nonsense while you do the same. :lol

·
Banned
2,427 Posts

Disney's version is a cartoon. Not some legacy or renowned icon. :lol

Even if she is a renowned icon as you say, people recognize the character for her red hair more than her skin color. :lmao

I guess the solution now is to make this Ariel more popular than the cartoon then. :lol
uh yes ariel the little mermaid is an icon.

if you show this icon

to a random group of 1000 people, at least 90% of them would recognize her either as the little mermaid or as ariel the little mermaid.

and i wouldn't bring up hair if i were you... because the verdict is still out as to whether or not this version of ariel will have red hair. shit that might also offend some people in the militant woke brigade. i can already see the think pieces on why her not being able to retain her original hair is the byproduct of white supremacy.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

What does it matter? The movie will go out, make its money, and be forgotten in a year like all the other Disney live action remakes

·
I'm about to end this man's whole career
782 Posts

I don't understand people's outrage over this...

The actress already checks off the most important part that you need when it comes to these types of Disney characters, her singing ability.

All you have to do is put a red wig on her or dye her hair red, and she'll be good to go.

Though, I will say that the blackwashing of red-headed characters in recent times is starting to get a little annoying.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

The actress already checks off the most important part that you need when it comes to these types of Disney characters, her singing ability.

All you have to do is put a red wig on her or dye her hair red, and she'll be good to go.

Though, I will say that the blackwashing of red-headed characters in recent times is starting to get a little annoying.
This isn't even the first time. Naomi Scott got shit for not being ethnic enough to play Jasmine

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

If I was not clear with Flanderization, I will be clearer:
Exaggerated sexual, racial, ethnic or any traits what refer to be as to inclusive and overwrite it on a previous made character is fake inclusion. It's nothing but an excuse to fill Mickey Rat's pool of bankrolls.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,029 Posts

Also btw Diana Ross once played DOROTHY, a very white midwestern girl. There aren't many more iconic parts in murican culture than Dorothy. So that wasn't a big deal and this isn't a big deal. Actually it was big deal I'm lying. It was a positive big deal.

Oh yeah I'm also team "i read this as HALLE BERRY at first"...
This is not quite the best analogy, for the Sidney Lumet-directed The Wiz was expressly about using the connective tissue of the classic The Wizard of Oz story to engender an understanding of American blacks. The Wizard of Oz's's--and by association, its protagonist Dorothy's--universality lent itself toward the goal in plain, straightforward cultural shorthand. In that sense it was not unlike Orson Welles producing the Federal Theatre Project's "Voodoo Macbeth" with an all-black cast, shifting the tale of William Shakespeare's from Scotland to a fictional island in the Caribbean.

Having said that, personally do not care about these largely forgettable Disney-sanctioned "live action remakes" as they are called. Beauty and the Beast, for instance, was instantly forgotten in spite of making a lot of money.

Halle Bailey seems terrifically talented in the realm of singing. Carl Anderson was cast as Judas Iscariot primarily for his sensational singing voice in the 1973 rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar.

When blacks were understandably appreciating and enjoying the experience of Black Panther a significant segment of whites wondered aloud why representation in cinema mattered so much to them, which was a bizarre (and doubtless often dishonest) query. Displaying consistency with this if one wishes to engage in it would be best for all, but that is probably too much for which to wish.

·
Heroes For Hire
15,425 Posts

Eh if Tom Cruise can save a bunch of Asians in Last Samurai, then Halle Bailey can save a bunch of fish in The Little Mermaid. I don't think this is a case of SJW propaganda or whatever nonsense people spew these days. Keep in mind that Disney adapts stories hundreds of years old and from my knowledge the original Little Mermaid doesn't delve too much on her skin tone iirc, correct me if I'm wrong. Regardless however, who cares honestly? Also:

Just gimme Queen Latifah as Ursula and i'll be happy.
Fucking yes please :mark:.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts

eh nick fury was a no-name character that barely anyone knew about before 2008. there was little to no legacy to preserve. ariel is a renowned icon going on 30 years. her image is instantly recognizable.

now that nick fury is more popular you're going to have generations of kids associating the character with someone that resembles sam jackson. it would be equally jarring if all of a sudden he were portrayed as some white dude again, be it in some cartoon or other adaptation.
Nick fury had his own comic and been in lots of cartoons before the MCU he even had his own movie

·
Registered
6,712 Posts

uh yes ariel the little mermaid is an icon.

if you show this icon

to a random group of 1000 people, at least 90% of them would recognize her either as the little mermaid or as ariel the little mermaid.

and i wouldn't bring up hair if i were you... because the verdict is still out as to whether or not this version of ariel will have red hair. shit that might also offend some people in the militant woke brigade. i can already see the think pieces on why her not being able to retain her original hair is the byproduct of white supremacy.
If you change her skin color to brown, black or albino they would still recognize her as the little mermaid from the cartoon from her other more recognizable features such as her hair, her outfit, her tail and her companions. Her skin color is nowhere near the top of the list of how people identify the character.

Even if they change the color of the hair which is a possibility due to practical reasons, so be it. It will allow this new version of Ariel to be even more distinct from the cartoon. Why is this even a bad thing?

·
Heroes For Hire
15,425 Posts

congrats you're one of the 1000 people that were aware this movie existed.(Y)
The fact that you genuinely believe that Nick Fury only became relevant or well-known post-Iron Man 1 says a lot about your lack of Marvel knowledge.

·
Still searching
4,391 Posts

Eh if Tom Cruise can save a bunch of Asians in Last Samurai, then Halle Bailey can save a bunch of fish in The Little Mermaid. I don't think this is a case of SJW propaganda or whatever nonsense people spew these days. Keep in mind that Disney adapts stories hundreds of years old and from my knowledge the original Little Mermaid doesn't delve too much on her skin tone iirc, correct me if I'm wrong. Regardless however, who cares honestly? Also:

Fucking yes please :mark:.
Vic what is this??? :no: The whole point of The Last Samurai is that Cruise's character is specifically not asian and has no previous links to Japan. Terrible comparison man.

On the actual topic though skin colour doesn't matter to Ariel's character at all as far as I can work out so let them get on with it :draper2

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

Vic what is this??? :no: The whole point of The Last Samurai is that Cruise's character is specifically not asian and has no previous links to Japan. Terrible comparison man.

On the actual topic though skin colour doesn't matter to Ariel's character at all as far as I can work out so let them get on with it :draper2
And he didn't even save them.

·
Banned
2,427 Posts

The fact that you genuinely believe that Nick Fury only became relevant or well-known post-Iron Man 1 says a lot about your lack of Marvel knowledge.

wow you're really delusional :lol

nobody outside of the avid comic book readers knew who nick fury was. if iron man and thor were considered b-list and c-list characters prior to the MCU then nick fury might as well have been a relative unknown. i even used to collect marvel cards as a kid and i didn't have a single card of his. i knew characters like adam warlock and longshot before i knew who nick fury was.

it's precisely the reason why they were able to easily reinvent the character as a bald black man without any fuss. nobody gave a shit because nobody had a frame of reference.

·
Banned
3,623 Posts

congrats you're one of the 1000 people that were aware this movie existed.(Y)
The hoff is lookin like Snake R.D mother fuckin Plisken right here too. Good shit.

·
Banned
2,427 Posts

If you change her skin color to brown, black or albino they would still recognize her as the little mermaid from the cartoon from her other more recognizable features such as her hair, her outfit, her tail and her companions. Her skin color is nowhere near the top of the list of how people identify the character.

Even if they change the color of the hair which is a possibility due to practical reasons, so be it. It will allow this new version of Ariel to be even more distinct from the cartoon. Why is this even a bad thing?

^nobody would look at this pic and say "hey look it's ariel"

not ONE person.

the same would happen with a white jasmine and a chinese belle. for to you say skin color isn't a factor in their identity is just wrong headed. by that logic skin color isn't a factor in ANY character's identity.

fuck sam jackson, let's cast donnie yen in the next shaft movie.

·
Banned
3,623 Posts

i really don't care what color Ariel is. The soundtrack can't be fucked, thats my concern. I actually think Little Mermaid OST is top shelf and is one of the best Disney has ever done. If they fuck up the songs the movie will be shit to me.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

^nobody would look at this pic and say "hey look it's ariel"
Are you serious? Because even a retarded monkey would notice that's an exact photoshop of an old Ariel picture.

And besides, why would it need to look exactly the same, aside from people's inability to move on from their childhood memories? As long as they don't make this new Ariel a feminazi that flips off the Prince just because, her skin color makes no difference whatsoever.

Ariel's white skin and red hair are not iconic. They just happened to be like that because the story was written by a guy who had no idea there would have been a time where people of all kinds would be represented in movies. I'm more pissed about freaking Valkirye played by a black woman than this, frankly.

121 - 140 of 220 Posts