Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Re: Halle Bailey lands the lead role in live adaptation of The Little Mermaid.

I wish people would put as much effort into bettering themselves as they do in over analyzing a kid’s movie. As i said before.. its not that deep people

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,329 Posts

I wish people would put as much effort into bettering themselves as they do in over analyzing a kid’s movie. As i said before.. its not that deep people
Over analyzing? That's exactly what the movie is about!

The song "Under the Sea" is to convince Ariel to stay because the sea is actually wonderful, she doesn't need to leave. Yet she does.

"Part of your world", it's her song obsessing over a man she's never talked to and about her so desperate to be with him, in his world. She wants to be human.

Her entire treasure trove is her collecting random human junk that she's obsessed over.

She makes a deal with a known witch in an unfair bargain to try and seduce the Prince to get her wish to leave the ocean behind.

Her father has to sacrifice himself in order to protect her because he cannot break the contract. This leads to the sea witch almost gaining control of the world.

After all the sacrifice she still longs to be human, she's only happy when her father makes her so.

This isn't over analyzing, it's the plot of the movie. :laugh:

It's also no simple children's tale, it's based on a Hans Christian Anderson story and those were never just simple happy go lucky stories. Disney made it have a happy ending, the 1975 film and original story, Ariel dies in it. It's a sad story, not a happy one.

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,210 Posts

The only issue I have with race swapping characters that if it were the reversal then all hell would break loose. It's the double standards that's infuriating.

That being said, I hate the Little Mermaid so I was not going to see this anyway.
It's not a double standard when 98% of acting roles go to white people, to take one of the handful of minority characters and cast a white person in it only serves to further marginalize people of color. I know nuance is hard when it comes to racial issues but this one is pretty obvious.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

I see a lot of yours are cant Disney do something original instend of a stream of remakes.

My wrestling friends..may I strongly,enormously,massively, recommend encouraging you check out Alita: Battle Angel.

It was so FUCKING good! I wouldnt say im obsessed but after the movie I went out and bought a shirt and the complete manga series boxset...and I havent read mangacin over a decade!

Now yes this is another example of a non asian getting the lead role of a Japanase manga/OVA. But this was casting choice done right as it was a Latina Rosa Salazar that plays Alita and having now went through some of the material she captures Alita to a T. I don't think I ever wanted a sequel to a movie as badly as this one.

On topic with The Little Mermaid. Has anyone heard of the endings of the oringal story? I saw this a long time ago so my memory is a little vague but I remember there were 3 different ending. I dont remember the other 2 but 1 I do recall is Ariel commits suicide. Its depressing AF

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

The song "Under the Sea" is to convince Ariel to stay because the sea is actually wonderful, she doesn't need to leave. Yet she does.

"Part of your world", it's her song obsessing over a man she's never talked to and about her so desperate to be with him, in his world. She wants to be human.

Her entire treasure trove is her collecting random human junk that she's obsessed over.

She makes a deal with a known witch in an unfair bargain to try and seduce the Prince to get her wish to leave the ocean behind.

Her father has to sacrifice himself in order to protect her because he cannot break the contract. This leads to the sea witch almost gaining control of the world.

After all the sacrifice she still longs to be human, she's only happy when her father makes her so.

It's also no simple children's tale, it's based on a Hans Christian Anderson story and those were never just simple happy go lucky stories. Disney made it have a happy ending, the 1975 film and original story, Ariel dies in it. It's a sad story, not a happy one.
This is disney we’re talking about here... while those themes do exist, it still isnt that deep. Some things dont require more than a passing thought. Its just a dumb kid’s movie that the majority of people will still see despite complaining

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

You know what.. When I was kid all I cared about was the songs and the video not really focusing on the story.

As I got older and watching it I though... Aerial is a bitch lol. She's the worse of the princesses.

·
14,329 Posts

This is disney we’re talking about here... while those themes do exist, it still isnt that deep. Some things dont require more than a passing thought. Its just a dumb kid’s movie that the majority of people will still see despite complaining
Please. Move the goal posts, you're talking a Veteran Princess movie watcher, chief.

Everything I listed is in the movie, I didn't add anything. Seriously go watch the film, I seen it countless times as a child. Both the original story, the anime and the Disney film share a lot in common with the theme of Ariel being naive and wanting to leave her home, people to be with a man and to be human.

There's no ifs, ands or buts about it.

The story isn't shallow, Ariel is. There's a reason why Ariel despite being a gorgeously designed character isn't a top tier Princess. That's because her character while innocent and naive is devoid of any real substance except her undying desire to love this man and to be human. That's the whole meat of the story.

You can try to spin it all you want but the animation in several forms exists, along with the actual story. It's all there. Then again you were the person who was saying "nobody wants minority characters in a movie" when literally nobody was saying this. Now that the story will make the casting laughable unintentionally you're playing it off as a "children's movie, no need to look at the story or follow it here folks!".

:ha

You know what.. When I was kid all I cared about was the songs and the video not really focusing on the story.

As I got older and watching it I though... Aerial is a bitch lol. She's the worse of the princesses.
This story was meant to have a moral lesson to it, it's why Ariel comes off so badly because they had to change key elements of it. Kids won't really notice the story but anyone over the age of 12 understands it and it's why she's not top tier. Adults are going to notice and it's going to be funny.

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,210 Posts

That is exactly what it is. I don't see how it's pretentious at all that we demand our corporatists to be better and give us something original instead of piggy backing off the popularity of existing white characters.

It's literally saying that the original black character won't make us money unless it's already popular and therefore bankable. It goes back to this era when Black dolls were sold at cheaper prices than white dolls.

If you hold that the profit motive is the primary concern of the capitalist then him black facing a white character pretty much categorically says that they need an already popular property to have that cash cow. They're not taking any chances. It's safe. And then on top of that they've got discord amongst the masses that refuse to point a finger at them while fighting each other.

They are in a win-win here. Which is why I refuse to support any move with an SJW agenda since that's the only way you can hurt them.

I'm not at all opposed to any original movie. In fact I've supported almost all movies featuring an all black cast, a black lead etc that was an original movie. I've done so since the 90s.

But this post 2016 Ghostbusters era pandering and manufactured controversy gets no buys so that they can continue to focus on originality.
The problem with creating new minority characters is the fact that people don't want new characters. Hollywood is only creatively bankrupt because the unwashed masses allow it to be. People want the safety of the familiar, they want easily digestible, iconic stories and characters. If you create new characters, characters that people didn't grow up with they aren't going to form emotional attachments to those characters. On top of that, you run the risk of white people feeling that the character is not "for them", it's a problem black authors and filmmakers have been dealing with for decades, ask John Singleton or Tyler Perry how much support they get from white people. There were white people who felt like they had to ask permission to see Black Panther or Crazy Rich Asians.

As long as the white dollar is almighty the only way to get minorities on screen in major roles is to race swap the characters and let white people's familiarity with the IP and nostalgia to carry them to the theater, just don't put too many minorities because then they'll cry "white genocide".

·
40,760 Posts

I will groan at some SJW bullshit when it's warranted. This isn't warranted. I hear this girl can really sing and frankly that's all that matters with this character. You gotta be able to sing. Obviously you also need to be good looking but that's a given for a lead role in mainstream film.

Also it's the Little Mermaid. I can't care less about it. At any rate this just isn't the same as Ghostbusters.

Chris JeriG.O.A.T said:
Hollywood is only creatively bankrupt because the unwashed masses allow it to be.
:heston this is 100% not true. Game of Thrones was a new thing and it was incredibly popular. You just gotta have a good newish idea. Everything is influenced by what came before it, but you need to find a way for the color palette to seem new. Every story has been told at this point.

·
14,329 Posts

The problem with creating new minority characters is the fact that people don't want new characters. Hollywood is only creatively bankrupt because the unwashed masses allow it to be. People want the safety of the familiar, they want easily digestible, iconic stories and characters. If you create new characters, characters that people didn't grow up with they aren't going to form emotional attachments to those characters. On top of that, you run the risk of white people feeling that the character is not "for them", it's a problem black authors and filmmakers have been dealing with for decades, ask John Singleton or Tyler Perry how much support they get from white people. There were white people who felt like they had to ask permission to see Black Panther or Crazy Rich Asians.

As long as the white dollar is almighty the only way to get minorities on screen in major roles is to race swap the characters and let white people's familiarity with the IP and nostalgia to carry them to the theater, just don't put too many minorities because then they'll cry "white genocide".
Or it could be if something is changed too much it's no longer nostalgia? :shrug

Also pretty sure white people love Tyler Perry, those Madea movies seemed to be aimed at them, well everyone really.

The biggest issue is entertainment is the "This is ours" mentality, why would people who aren't black go see a movie that seems to be aimed at only black people?

How many latinos do you see lining up to see black films? Outside of black music/comedy which most people have no problem enjoying, people question seeing black films.

So why is that? Black comedians sell out, they're popular with whites and everyone else. Black music is a hit with whites, blacks in sports are hits, nobody cares that the majority of NBA players are black, whites pay loads of money to go see them play. So why does this seem to only really effect black movies?

·
Registered
737 Posts

Next time around Disney should cast Captain America as being a black soldier from the 40s that over came racial profiling to be an American hero. Then recast Black Panther as White Panther let it take place is South Africa with an all white cast.......Then we can sit back and watch everyone bitch about the same thing.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

Next time around Disney should cast Captain America as being a black soldier from the 40s that over came racial profiling to be an American hero. Then recast Black Panther as White Panther let it take place is South Africa with an all white cast.......Then we can sit back and watch everyone bitch about the same thing.
Why do people always bring up this same played out argument... race bending one white character in an industry that is 90% white isnt harmful. Changing Captain America to a black guy in the 1940s and changing the whole cast of Black Panther to white folks isnt the same but Im sure someone like you will argue that it’s exactly the same thing

·
40,760 Posts

Or it could be if something is changed too much it's no longer nostalgia? :shrug

Also pretty sure white people love Tyler Perry, those Madea movies seemed to be aimed at them, well everyone really.

The biggest issue is entertainment is the "This is ours" mentality, why would people who aren't black go see a movie that seems to be aimed at only black people?

How many latinos do you see lining up to see black films? Outside of black music/comedy which most people have no problem enjoying, people question seeing black films.

So why is that? Black comedians sell out, they're popular with whites and everyone else. Black music is a hit with whites, blacks in sports are hits, nobody cares that the majority of NBA players are black, whites pay loads of money to go see them play. So why does this seem to only really effect black movies?
Well black athletes are generally better at murican football and basketball than whites. Lots of reasons for this that are far beyond the scope of this thread. Also nostalgia is built into the teams. They have long rich histories of former glory and agonizing defeats. Fans are attached to teams because of nostalgia.

This is why Hollywood does so many remakes etc. They feel they have to exploit nostalgia. It's a good bet really and makes sense because they're all scared cowards.

Also btw Diana Ross once played DOROTHY, a very white midwestern girl. There aren't many more iconic parts in murican culture than Dorothy. So that wasn't a big deal and this isn't a big deal. Actually it was big deal I'm lying. It was a positive big deal.

Oh yeah I'm also team "i read this as HALLE BERRY at first"...

·
Registered
737 Posts

Why do people always bring up this same played out argument... race bending one white character in an industry that is 90% white isnt harmful. Changing Captain America to a black guy in the 1940s and changing the whole cast of Black Panther to white folks isnt the same but Im sure someone like you will argue that it’s exactly the same thing

·
EXCELSIOR!
16,112 Posts

Next time around Disney should cast Captain America as being a black soldier from the 40s that over came racial profiling to be an American hero.
Funny you mention that, because that pretty much already happened in the comics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaiah_Bradley

That being said, I'd be down to see Bradley's Captain America appear in the MCU via an alternate universe if the MCU ever decides to go multiversal, such as having him come a from a universe where he, not Falcon, succeeds Steve for the mantle of Captain America.

·
14,329 Posts

Well black athletes are generally better at murican football and basketball than whites. Lots of reasons for this that are far beyond the scope of this thread. Also nostalgia is built into the teams. They have long rich histories of former glory and agonizing defeats. Fans are attached to teams because of nostalgia.

This is why Hollywood does so many remakes etc. They feel they have to exploit nostalgia. It's a good bet really and makes sense because they're all scared cowards.

Also btw Diana Ross once played DOROTHY, a very white midwestern girl. There aren't many more iconic parts in murican culture than Dorothy. So that wasn't a big deal and this isn't a big deal. Actually it was big deal I'm lying. It was a positive big deal.

Oh yeah I'm also team "i read this as HALLE BERRY at first"...
Sure, but in sports the viewership for some is growing and that goes beyond nostalgia. Nobody seems to have an issue with most sports being headlined by black athletes. The ones that are losing viewers is because of league fuckery and not the color of it's players.

The post was implying nobody wants to support black entertainment when that really isn't the case. Comedy/music are massive draws, nobody cares that blacks are top tier in these areas.

The whole point of nostalgia is to get something as close to as you remember. Changing the cast some isn't going to detour most people but too much will and it won't be because of "muh white genocide" but because once something is changed too much, it's not longer nostalgic. This applies to everything.

The Hollywood issue is them not even trying to make new characters or stories, casting black people as white characters doesn't fix the issue either. It also opens another can of worms, why are the recasts 90% of the time black and not asian, latino, mid eastern, indian, native american etc? Don't they deserve representation too?

One of the biggest games next year Cyberpunk 2077 is based off a game a black man created, nobody cares he's black. The game is going to be massive. The reason why black movies may do poorly isn't because of the black cast but because it's marketed solely for blacks. Otherwise the other parts of black entertainment wouldn't be flourishing.

Also I don't care about this casting, my question was how can this be considered excellent casting when the person cast hasn't done films? It could be good but we don't know since we have nothing to weigh it against. Also that the story of Disney Ariel will have some hilarious eyebrow raising if it's kept faithful to the animated film. So it maybe needed to be changed which may kill the nostalgia appeal.

·
Greek God of Knowledge
7,098 Posts

On top of that, you run the risk of white people feeling that the character is not "for them", it's a problem black authors and filmmakers have been dealing with for decades, ask John Singleton or Tyler Perry how much support they get from white people.
Tyler Perry doesn't get much support from white people because his product is usually shit and very uncomfortable for people in general to watch. A lot of his characters are very one note, stereotypical and offer almost no actual insight on the culture of African American's except for what we already know. He doesn't add anything new to the table. Why should white people support him? They know exactly what he's doing. And numerous people have called him out for it. Hell even Spike Lee called him out for it. They even did a parody of this exact issue in South Park where Token was the only person laughing at Perry's jokes and he suddenly realized halfway through that he fell for obvious convoluted bullshit and he couldn't get out of it. It's also an issue Black Panther faced with white audiences, who were being fed very obvious "I'm black and I'm proud" stuff through out the film and quickly got sick of it.

Compare that with movies like Spiderverse where the main character, Miles, got a lot of love across the board despite being black, because he's portrayed as a much more natural person, going through situations that make sense for someone of his upbringing and culture but him being black doesn't get slammed in your face over and over again. That isn't the focus of the movie.

And people would feel the same way about any movie that does this with any of its characters and/or stories, whether they are white, black or any other race.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,877 Posts

The Hollywood issue is them not even trying to make new characters or stories, casting black people as white characters doesn't fix the issue either. It also opens another can of worms, why are the recasts 90% of the time black and not asian, latino, mid eastern, indian, native american etc? Don't they deserve representation too?
They do have representation.

- Asia has a whole continent that thrives and exports their media all over the world. Films by Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Chow Yun Fat are huge, Anime is huge, martial arts is huge. You even have media coming from S. Korea (animation, Gangnam Style etc.) and Indonesia (The Raid).
- Latinos have a rich history of popular entertainers that thrive in their communities and abroad.
- Mid-Eastern, you got me there.
- India (still Asia :side:) has Bollywood and it thrives.
- Native Americans.....are all dead.

The point I'm trying to make clear is that black people don't have a rich economic history to fall back on. We're poor here AND abroad. Not true for most other groups. Latinos, Asians and Indians don't need to succeed in America, they can and do succeed at home/abroad. Historically speaking, the darker you are, the worse you were treated. And that's still true to this day with colorism. I don't want to get into the reparations game but giving black people the nod is only a positive in situations like this.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts

Ohh boy *rubs hands maliciously* let the raging debate ensues

If you know who Halle Bailey is you know why there's a big debate going on on social media.

If not let me fill you in a little..

Halle Bailey is a black actress and R&B singer who is cast to play Ariel in the upcoming live The Little Mermaid, who as we all know, Ariel is not black in the animation.

The back and forth on Twitter has been quite entertaining.

Some have gone on so far as to say this movie will be trash just because a diffrent race is cast from what Ariel was in the animation.

Needless to say a large amount of people are not happy with this choice.

Me I dont mind much as long as the acting and movie is good.

Hey now they now how Asians feel when non Asians take the lead role in live versions of anime shows

And remember its Halle Bailey not Halle Berry as I and it turns out a lot of others have made that same mistake.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/events/1146504543456227328

If she can sing the part, then that is al that matters. Her race is irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
If she can sing the part, then that is al that matters. Her race is irrelevant.

I really dont care myself. Just saw on twitter people were making a big fuss about it. Only thing to really care about is the movie coming out good.

I thought Michael B Jordan did a good job playing Johnny Storm in the Fantastic Four reboot.

61 - 80 of 220 Posts