Wrestling Forum banner

181 - 200 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
Re: Halle Bailey lands the lead role in live adaptation of The Little Mermaid.

(Btw, I'm just talking about white supremacists here. Not people in general).
Not just them. Remember the outrage that Naomi Scott got for being too white to play Jasmine. She's part Indian I believe.

·
From parts unknown
23,258 Posts

Not just them. Remember the outrage that Naomi Scott got for being too white to play Jasmine. She's part Indian I believe.
Lol. I even saw some people make a fool of themselves calling Rami Malik white even though he's literally an Egyptian who played an Egyptian in a movie.

I believe it was Night in the Museum.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

Lol. I even saw some people make a fool of themselves calling Rami Malik white even though he's literally an Egyptian who played an Egyptian in a recent movie.
Yeah, its almost if people of the same ethnic background look different.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

It's interesting that no one had an opinion on my recasting of Shaft as a lithuanian.

Anyways, here are some other famous black characters that we could possibly re-imagine for the future.

- Fat Albert but as a fat white dude

- Blade but as a native american

- Luke Cage but chinese

- Fresh Prince but mexican

- Axel Foley but indian

- Aunt Jemima but as a southern white woman

If there's no good reason Ariel can't be black, there's no good reason any of these couldn't work either. And yet call it a hunch but I have just a small feeling certain people would take issue with some of them.

Not sure why people continually have the worst examples for race switching when talking about it going the other way.

Luther is the best example you could use. Played by Idris Elba, but the character isn't race specific and therefore could be switched out for a white guy and the story wouldn't be damaged. What you'd maybe hear is that another leading TV role went to another white man when it wasn't necessary.

Luke Cage is culturally a black character. Same with Shaft. As different races they're completely different characters with different settings, which is fine but then you would need to ask yourself why bother? Is someone likely going to write a white Shaft movie to troll the libtards? I imagine the same people at Boston's straight pride parade will maybe go and fill some seats though.

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts

As a grown ass man you may want to sit down and consider why you care what the skin color of a mermaid character from essentially a C-list children's story (until the 1989 animated movie turned the thing into a huge money machine) is

We aren't talking about Jean Valjean or Doctor Zhivago here

Then after you are done with all that consideration, make the appropriate changes to your life

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,329 Posts

- Luke Cage but chinese
This would be the best movie ever if they acted in the movie as if he were black, along with all the characters.. Ken Jeong would be perfect! Yes I know he's Korean.

Yes. That's where it ends for me. It's not like Disney is gonna go Benoit on existing Red Head mermaid which has existed for decades and will continue to exist for decades.

Let the black girls have it. Both white and black kids will have their own princess. This is where this argument ends for me.
Isn't this part of the problem? Race changing characters for movies does nothing for real representation when the source material is kept the same and nobody really buys into it. They made the Human Torch black in that garbage Fantastic 4 movie but it doesn't matter because nobody thinks of him as a black character. A white shaft wouldn't make the Shaft character white.

Besides it still doesn't even scratch the surface of representation for anyone else, just excuses why black/white is the only real representation in Hollywood. Also Jewish, I mean there's loads of movies about Jewish identity.

Lol. I even saw some people make a fool of themselves calling Rami Malik white even though he's literally an Egyptian who played an Egyptian in a movie.

I seen everything from that Rami is white washing Egyptian history to Egyptians were all black. Stuff like he's not "real" Egyptian. The amount of ignorance made me check out of Social Media for a while.

Zoe Saldana got shit for playing a black woman in some biopic. She's not the only one who's been blasted for not being dark enough.

Representation and source material are hot topics for people. :nerd:

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

Dude, people were complaining that Will Smith isn't black enough to play Serena Williams father. These people cannot be reasoned with!!!

·
Premium Member
13,090 Posts

Remember the outrage when the cast a black man as Kingpin in Daredevil? No? Shit, it was a good portrayal? Shit, it's been 15 years? Nobody cares. It's just a bunch of Johhny Come Latelies that will move on in 2 days when the new outrage starts.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts

Harry Styles in Talks to Play Prince Eric in Disney’s ‘Little Mermaid’

Harry Styles is going under the sea. The former One Direction frontman is in early negotiations to play Prince Eric in Disney’s live-action adaptation of “The Little Mermaid.”

Halle Bailey will portray the Ariel, a mermaid princess who dreams of being a human, while Melissa McCarthy is playing her evil aunt Ursula.

“The Little Mermaid” will be directed by Rob Marshall and written by David Magee. The upcoming film will incorporate original songs from the 1989 animated classic, as well as new tunes from original composer Alan Menken with lyrics by “Hamilton” creator Lin-Manuel Miranda. Miranda is also producing the film along with Marshall, Marc Platt and John DeLuca. Jessica Virtue and Allison Erlikhman are overseeing for the studio.

When “The Little Mermaid” first hit theaters almost 30 years ago, it became a huge hit and was credited with sparking a Disney renaissance. The story, about a mermaid who falls in love with a human named Eric, introduced audiences to classic tunes like “Under the Sea,” “Part of Your World” and “Kiss the Girl.”

Styles’ acting debut was in Christopher Nolan’s 2017 war drama “Dunkirk.” More recently, he was one of several actors up for the “Elvis” biopic at Warner Bros., a part which ultimately went to Austin Butler. He is repped by CAA.
Source: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/harry-styles-prince-eric-the-little-mermaid-disney-1203269289/?fbclid=IwAR1omB0B7XM-_VzLgbTSSPj-kciwimqGRzRHSho5-e3QAuZQz_IAgByQvcU

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts

Well, they are being consistent and casting singers in both roles. Not seen Harry Styles act in anything (unless miming counts as acting?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Mermaid_(2018_film)

Saw this whilst browsing through Netflix recently. Isn't it weird that no-one seemed to complain about them changing this "iconic" character in this film? I wonder why.........

·
Registered
17,497 Posts

Melissa is Ursula, i'm out. Couldn't they cast a purple actress?

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,329 Posts

A white Prince?!

Who called it? I did!

I cannot wait for this!

If all goes well it will take people a while for the information to process in their "lizard brain".

This movie is going to be unintentionally hilarious!:sneaky

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts

:shockedpunk

Race aside, isn't she like 40?
I have no issue with the race thing, but THIS. Ariel is supposed to be a young mermaid girl, and I'm pretty sure Halle Berry is in her early 50s

·
Don't get between a wolf & its prey!
14,366 Posts

I have no issue with the race thing, but THIS. Ariel is supposed to be a young mermaid girl, and I'm pretty sure Halle Berry is in her early 50s

Haha Halle BAILEY, not Halle Berry. Halle Bailey is 19 years old.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
This may be off-topic. But there are strongs rumours about if Harry Styles will role Prince Eric.

I think this is a patch to cover the main role's scandal.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts

Javier Bardem in Talks to Play King Triton in Disney’s ‘Little Mermaid’

Javier Bardem is in talks to play King Triton in Disney’s live-action remake of “The Little Mermaid.”

Halle Bailey will portray the Ariel, a mermaid princess who dreams of being a human, while Melissa McCarthy is playing her evil aunt Ursula. Harry Styles is also in early talks to play Prince Eric.

“The Little Mermaid” will be directed by Rob Marshall and written by David Magee. The upcoming film will incorporate original songs from the 1989 animated classic, as well as new tunes from original composer Alan Menken with lyrics by “Hamilton” creator Lin-Manuel Miranda. Miranda is also producing the film along with Marshall, Marc Platt and John DeLuca. Jessica Virtue and Allison Erlikhman are overseeing for the studio.

When “The Little Mermaid” first hit theaters almost 30 years ago, it became a huge hit and was credited with sparking a Disney renaissance. The story, about a mermaid who falls in love with a human named Eric, introduced audiences to classic tunes like “Under the Sea,” “Part of Your World” and “Kiss the Girl.”

Bardem most recently starred in “Everybody Knows” opposite Penelope Cruz and can be seen next in Legendary’s new retelling of “Dune,” which also stars Timothee Chalamet and Josh Brolin. He is repped by WME.
Source: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/little-mermaid-javier-bardem-king-triton-disney-1203270668/?fbclid=IwAR1veFhpDRXgWQrwS4L4YwKDH5FDohfKyNBYYY7-pShaxTQg2wuep7f7-IU

·
40,760 Posts
I was going to post Javier doing some karaoke in a movie but the clip has perfect Spanish bare breasts in it so rip.

He's not a very good singer, but that's ok. I don't think Triton needs to evoke emotion in the same way Ariel absolutely has to.

·
Premium Member
44,049 Posts
Wait...

How can a Spanish father produce a full black child?

Is Ariel's actress mixed race? Is the mom Mermaid black?

Sorry, but they made the race such a big deal that I'm kind of fascinated by this.

181 - 200 of 220 Posts