Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Banned
28,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Lion King (July 19th, 2019)

Having become king of the jungle, Jon Favreau is heading to the African Savannah.

Disney has tapped the filmmaker to oversee its upcoming live-action remake of “The Lion King.” Favreau already had success modernizing “The Jungle Book” for the studio. He’s also the director of “Iron Man” and “Iron Man 2.” Disney has been busy delving into its vaults, and modernizing classic animated fare like “Beauty and the Beast” and “Cinderella” with flesh and blood actors, and, in the case of “The Jungle Book,” pixilated critters. Barring tremendous advances in lion taming, presumably real animals won’t be used in this one either. They’ll be of the digital variety.

“The Lion King” has already been turned into a Tony-winning Broadway musical, that continues to draw crowds. The 1994 version was one of the studio’s most successful films, earning $968.8 million globally. The story centers on a young lion whose father and the king of his pride, is killed by his villainous uncle, who than usurps his throne. Disney will presumably keep the catchy music from the original film, with Tim Rice and Elton John songs such as “Hakuna Matata” and “Can You Feel the Love Tonight?” making an appearance.

Disney and Favreau are also developing a sequel to “The Jungle Book.” No release date has been set for either “The Lion King” or “The Jungle Book 2.”
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/lion-king-live-action-remake-jon-favreau-1201872663/

·
No sir, not getting out of this chair.
678 Posts
Re: The Lion King to be remade into a live action movie

:no

·
Buried by the man with three H's
1,166 Posts

I would have settled for a Pixar style remake, but live action...

They couldn't even make Jungle Book half way decent, it sucked Baloo's furry balls. So, what in the hell are Disney thinking with The Lion King?

If Disney continue to produce good Marvel movies, I don't give two shits if they mess up their original franchises.

·
Banned
14,424 Posts

Favreu loves that Disney money.

But fuck this. The Lion King is a PERFECT and ICONIC movie. It doesn't need this at all. There's no better or different way to re-tell the Lion King. It's the equivalent of remaking the Godfather.

·
You Spoony Bard
9,920 Posts

The Jungle Book I understood, because Mowgli is a human boy living with wild animals.

The Lion King
is literally all wild animals... CGI creations aren't going to make it any better. Not to mention it's a classic.

·
Asuka
96,541 Posts

What a wonderful day! :trips9
It's what a wonderful phrase. You're gonna get tons of heat for that.

I've still not seen the original movie 8*D Need to get round to watching the new Jungle Book as well.
I've seen it once but you and I are kind of in the same boat in the sense that it's not a remnant of my childhood that I have this huge nostalgia for. I only really know the most widely celebrated parts that everybody knows.

I have no problem with a Jungle Book style re-make of this. In fact I was kinda guessing that it would happen. It was only a matter of time after The Jungle Book did so well that they started giving Favreau other Disney properties to do CGI remakes. Say what you will, but you can't fault them, because this movie's gonna make a billion dollars without even trying. Jungle Book almost made a billion and it's not even close to as popular as The Lion King.

I don't think fans have anything to worry about with Favreau, he'll do it right. It may not be shot for shot but it will be similar and have the same tone, much like Jungle Book. A potential advantage The Lion King has over The Jungle Book is that the original cast is still alive. I don't know if they're gonna cast the originals but they could, in theory.

And by the way, if you hate it, just ignore it. I wouldn't care if they rebooted Back To The Future and it sucks, I still have the originals, it doesn't matter. If anything, remakes just increase peoples interest in the original. I guarantee you that when this announcement broke, it got tons of people around the world to watch or re-watch The Lion King.

·
Registered
23,411 Posts

So, a live action movie in a story where there are no humans and all the animals talk? This just sounds like a CGI disaster waiting to happen.

·
Banned
28,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I've seen it once but you and I are kind of in the same boat in the sense that it's not a remnant of my childhood that I have this huge nostalgia for. I only really know the most widely celebrated parts that everybody knows.

I have no problem with a Jungle Book style re-make of this. In fact I was kinda guessing that it would happen. It was only a matter of time after Jungle Book did so well that they started giving Favreau other Disney properties to do CGI remakes. Say what you will, but you can't fault them, because this movie's gonna make a billion dollars without even trying. Jungle Book almost made a billion and it's not even close to as popular as The Lion King.
I honestly have no clue how I managed to miss seeing it all these years, I've seen everything else but The Lion King for some reason :wtf2 But the movie is so ingrained in pop culture that I am fully aware of some of the pivotal scenes and the delightful Hans Zimmer score.

I am just waiting for the inevitable Aladdin announcement though, you just know it's coming. How on earth are they going to replace Robin Williams as the genie? :mj2

·
Registered
17,493 Posts

Meh, they're adamant to do every Disney classic. Let them, I still have my memories. Jungle Book was good, but nothing beats the animated ones.

Wouldn't be surprised if Little Mermaid, Dumbo and Bambi got confirmed by decades end.

·
Banned
28,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Am I the only one stunned that the most overexposed man in entertainment, the Rock, isn't attached to this project?
Shhh, don't give them any ideas.

******BREAKING NEWS************

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has just been cast as Mufasa in Disney's live action......

:moyes8

1 - 20 of 173 Posts