Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 360 Posts

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On June 28th, 2009, WWE held a PPV known as The Bash.

Michelle McCool, the then-girlfriend, and now wife, of Mark Calloway (aka The Undertaker) captured her first Women's Championship.

And on that fateful night, what was once known as the WWE Divas Division...DIED.

Part I: The Burial of Mickie James

A few months after winning the championship, Michelle McCool, now a very annoying champion, formed an alliance with Layla El, who subsequently became her equally-annoying sidekick. Together, they became known as "LayCool".The two preceded to ridicule Mickie James for her weight gain, constantly humiliating her with mean jokes, calling her "Piggy James", and all but burying her in the ring. James managed to breifly win the championship, but lost it back to McCool a month later, and was subsequently released from the company shortly afterwards. Regardless of how many championships James won in her 6 year career, the last thing people will remember is the fat jokes.

Part II: The Injury of Beth Pheniox

With James gone, and SmackDown short on Divas, Beth Pheniox became the next contender for Michelle McCool's championship. Initially, she was successful, and breifly held the title, only to lose it two weeks later thanks to injury. This time, it was Layla that won the championship, and the two proceeded to humiliate Beth Pheniox out of the storyline.

Part III: Co-Women's Champions

With Mickie AND Beth, SmackDown's only two talented Divas gone, LayCool began to set their sights on Raw. But first they had to bury the remaining SmackDown Divas. Kelly Kelly and Tiffany were both buried within a month, and Rosa Mendes was reduced to a behind the scenes role as LayCool's lap-dog bitch. All of this went on while they help turned NXT into a joke by being Kaval's "Pros" on Season 2, and being responsible for some of the most cringeworthy segments in WWE history...But Kaval won, so make that SmackDown AND NXT conquered.
Oh yeah, and they also tore the prestigous Women's championship in half and treated it like a fashion accessory.

Part IV: The Burial of Melina

And then there a glimmer of hope...Melina comes back and wins the Divas Championship from Alicia Fox. FINALLY, we have a good female wrestler as champion. What happens a month later? LayCool takes the belt from her in a unificiation match, unifies the two belts into the Divas Championship, and subsequently bury Melina, who has been Superstar fodder ever since. Afterwards, with Alicia Fox, Maryse, Eve Torres, and all the other Divas that were once champions, resort to being valets. In other words, LayCool buried them too.

Part V: The Burial of Natalya

And so finally, we come to Natalya - the only chance the Divas division had left. Surely to God, she'd win the belt. Nope. She lost twice, didn't get the title, and will now resort to doing what every other Diva not named LayCool is doing, jobbing, or become a valet. Thank God Hart Dynasty's still around for her.

And so here we are, a little over a year after Michelle McTaker fucked her way, I mean won her way to the top of the Divas division, with her "BFF" Layla El tagging along for the ride. At this point, with every show conquered, and every Diva defeated, you might as well rename the division LAYCOOL, because who's left for them to face now?

Unless creative plans on having an NXT Season 3 rookie win the belt in the coming months, why even have a division at all?

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
Re: The LayCool Era ( 2009 - present ) - death of the Divas division?

I find Laycool funny at times but I would still prefer Beth Phoenix to come back soon and decimate them.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts

No one is left for them to face.

They've went through everyone.

I said this in the RAW discussion thread, Lay-Cool are like John Cena during his year long reign when he through Edge, Umaga, Booker T, Big Show, Umaga, Shawn Michaels, Great Khali, Bobby Lashley, & Randy Orton.

The only way LayCool's dominance can end is if one of them (Moreso Michelle) gets injured.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts

laycool is the reason why the divas division has an ounce of relevance

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

Laycool is the best thing in the divas divison. Why do people act like the divas divison was on some hot streak before Laycool was formed? If anything they helped make bring it back up.

And Michelle's feud with Mickie was the best diva feud in YEARS!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts

laycool is the reason why the divas division has an ounce of relevance
The killer of a division would be the reason said division got any attention if said killer went around flaunting their murder. Your point is invalid.

·
Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts
5,594 Posts

Laycool is the best thing to happen to that stagnant division in a very long time. It is still bad with them, without them it is dull and lifeless and completely pointless. As much as I really like Natalya, I see no point in giving her the title. She would be even worse than the Hart Dynasty was as tag champs. She would carry it around a while and participate in forgettable matches until someone more interesting comes along and takes it.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Laycool is the best thing in the divas divison. Why do people act like the divas divison was on some hot streak before Laycool was formed? If anything they helped make bring it back up.
LayCool has brought relevance to LayCool and LayCool only. "The best thing in the divas division", as you put it, is responsible for burying every talented Diva left on either roster, warping the term "champion", and making the actual belt-holder a meaningless position, literally destroying the Women's Championship and replacing it with the butterfly belt, and turning every other woman in the WWE into jobbers or valets. If that's what you call helping, then I'll pass.

At this point, I'd rather see Santino go drag and win the Divas Championship as Santina than watch Michelle and Layla running around screaming like a pair of hyenas.

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts

LayCool has brought relevance to LayCool and LayCool only. "The best thing in the divas division", as you put it, is responsible for burying every talented Diva left on either roster, warping the term "champion", and making the actual belt-holder a meaningless position, literally destroying the Women's Championship and replacing it with the butterfly belt, and turning every other woman in the WWE into jobbers or valets. If that's what you call helping, then I'll pass.

At this point, I'd rather see Santino go drag and win the Divas Championship as Santina than watch Michelle and Layla running around screaming like a pair of hyenas.
This.

Some rep coming your way.

·
Custom User Title
15,242 Posts

The womens division died once the concept of a "diva" was brought in. Hasn't been actively good since 96.

·
Premium Member
4,107 Posts

As much as I liked Laycool at first, their dominance has completely wrecked the divas division moreso than when the diva search began.
Its the exact same feud over and over again. Diva gets title shot, Laycool call names to diva, continue to do so, diva gets beat up, diva loses match due to shenanigans, diva gets a bunch of rematches but continues to lose, Laycool continue to ridicule her, move onto the next person.

It got old around the "Smelly Kelly" thing. They may as well just reply the Piggy James feud on a loop, it'll have the same effect. Every diva's pretty much irrelivant and buried now apart from Laycool.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

How is it Laycool's fault that they changed the title, or the divas turning into valets first of all? Secondly, Laycool is the only divas that actuall have a gimmick. Every one else is "good girl", "bad girl".

The divas divison is crap as is, at least this provides something worthwhile, like a feud.

Does Laycool win all the time, frank yes I'm not going to lie about that. But their the only ones with a actually character.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts

LayCool are awesome and clearly know how to be heels. They're doing a great job. I think the title reign should end now though. Michelle is good in-ring and Layla's all right - obviously Natalya, Phoenix and Melina are worthy of the title but the division wasn't killed by LayCool. In fact, they brought some attention back to it.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,622 Posts

Laycool is the only good thing about the divas division. I'd rather see them with the titles then bleeding Melina or Alica Fox, or god forbid the Bella Twins

·
Registered
9,763 Posts

There was a Divas division to kill? At least Layla and Michelle are interesting. (Even if it's for a lot of the wrong reasons)

·
Registered
2,017 Posts

wow that history timeline of laycool was very well put, i applaud you but i then again, unlike you, i actually like laycool, LONG LIVE LAYCOOL! :)

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts

Laycool is the only thing relevant in the womens division right now. Until Beth Phoenix comes back. Although I much preferred the days of Trish, Lita, Molly Holly and Victoria.

·
These days I find beauty as depressing as years be
13,975 Posts

Layla > OP, seriously.

1 - 20 of 360 Posts