Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WWE released their latest PPV buyrate numbers today as part of their second quarter earnings report and the results were not good at all:

* April PPV: Extreme Rules - 182,000 buys (compared to 182,000 buys for Backlash 2009 and 200,000 buys for Backlash 2008)
* May PPV: Over the Limit - 197,000 buys (compared to 228,000 buys for Judgment Day 2009 and 252,000 buys for Judgment Day 2008)
* Late June PPV: Fatal Four Way - 143,000 buys (compared to 178,000 buys for The Bash 2009 and 273,000 buys for Night of Champions 2008)

It should be noted that WWE changed their PPV schedule around, so Extreme Rules ran in April 2010 but ran in June of 2009 and 2008 (doing 213,000 buys and 194,000 buys respectively).

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Holy shit, NOC 2008 sold damn close to twice what Fatal 4 Way managed. That's a pretty big blow.

Again, who is the genius working in marketing that decided the best way to increase sales was to increase prices?

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,788 Posts
And thus we see the WWE titan's one major Achilles heel.

With all of the streaming and other methods of seeing these without ordering, somewhere, sometime, something will be happening fairly soon between this rock and a hard place.

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Saw it coming...albeit not as steep a drop

Hopefully once the talent becomes established and they get some injury hit wrestlers back it'll escalate. Oh and changing the product a little wouldn't hurt not to mention putting the prices down

Streaming is an issue I agree but those losses are considerably big - I have read though overseas revenue is up 3% - we're doing our bit!

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
You can guarentee that the longer the PPV buyrate carry on falling, the harder WWE is going to try and come down on the internet downloading (i.e torrects, rapishare, megaupload etc)

Streaming isnt the big problem for WWE, its the people who download the shows the day after. (myself included)

Then again, none of the above PPVS were particually good either, and none had great build-up.

·
#WWELogic
3,789 Posts
Hey marketng guys, maybe the gimmick PPV's weren't such a "great" idead after all. I don't get it, if it ain't broke don't fix it. 2009 worked with a mix of gimmick & normal PPV's why don't we just go back to that?

Jan: RR
Feb: NWO
March/April: WM
Late April: Backlash
May: JD
June: KOTR
July:Extreme Rules
Aug: Summer Slam
Sept: Unforgiven
Oct: No/Mercy
Nov: Bragging Rights/Survivior Series
Dec: NOC

Stay Frosty

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
I download the shows the day after too, unless it was a particularly well built PPV or had some good matches booked. I'm not exactly helping out things by being one of the ones to download shit for free, but I really doubt that downloading is actually hitting business that hard.

Let's face it, today's audience has a reliable source of cash in mom and dad. They're the ones buying the PPVs every month, and we're the minority that get it for free. I don't think they're losing too much money by us.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Just ask yourself HONESTLY whether you would have ordered the show if you had no way of seeing it via streaming or downloading. I feel guilty when I DL WrestleMania and the Rumble; otherwise, there's no chance in hell I'd actually order it.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Just ask yourself HONESTLY whether you would have ordered the show if you had no way of seeing it via streaming or downloading. I feel guilty when I DL WrestleMania and the Rumble; otherwise, there's no chance in hell I'd actually order it.
Those are my exceptions to downloading. Royal Rumble I'll usually get, but Wrestlemania I will always order and pay for. I think that's the least I can do as a fan. Not to mention I've got every Wrestlemania Blu-Ray released so far.

·
Tap Or Snap
2,539 Posts
You people who download the ppvs instead of paying for them are pathetic. Its simple, If you dont pay for it you shouldent be allowed to watch it. Now thats why the Buyrates are Low.

Dont get me wrong im not a hater its just annoying seeing people complaining about low buyrates when most of the time your the reason.

·
Registered
14,223 Posts
You people who download the ppvs instead of paying for them are pathetic. Its simple, If you dont pay for it you shouldent be allowed to watch it. Now thats why the Buyrates are Low.

Dont get me wrong im not a hater its just annoying seeing people complaining about low buyrates when most of the time your the reason.
This.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
There is no way that you can attribute a near 100% difference between June 2010 and June 2008 to people downloading shit. Face it, the numbers for Fatal 4 Way suck in the first place.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
I don't know why anybody on here would be complaining about buyrates, it's not them who should get annoyed. That's Vince McMahons job. If they aren't selling well, as fans why should we care that much. The WWE isn't going to go out of business. Our job is to enjoy the product...whilst also critiquing it too :p

·
Registered
799 Posts
I don't know why anybody on here would be complaining about buyrates, it's not them who should get annoyed. That's Vince McMahons job. If they aren't selling well, as fans why should we care that much. The WWE isn't going to go out of business. Our job is to enjoy the product...whilst also critiquing it too :p
That was his fault for giving the PPV such a silly name.
:D

·
Registered
20,205 Posts

Attributing a decline to one reason is rarely correct. I would like to attribute the decline to a lack of build up in many cases and the gimmick PPV idea not working consistently. I am sure others would like to target the PG rating contributing, as well.

Generalizing is usually unfair, but you might find that those who are frequent downloaders support the WWE by attending more shows and buying more merchandise.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts