Wrestling Forum banner

161 - 180 of 3023 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I love the yearly tradition of watching nothing but horror in October, and I'm not a Friggatriskaidekaphobiac so I'm sure I can handle the pressure. :mj

Do you recommend Freddy vs Jason? That seemed like somewhat of a bust.
The only REALLY bad movie of the series was Jason X, where he is in outer space.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
I'm pretty sure they canceled the new one.
Thought they only canceled the plot of it showing Jason's origins growing up w/his mom. Oh well.

I love the yearly tradition of watching nothing but horror in October, and I'm not a friggatriskaidekaphobiac so I'm sure that I can handle the pressure. :mj

Do you recommend Freddy vs Jason? That one seemed to me like somewhat of a bust, and not really part of canon.
I recommend it all. (only one I'm super against is the 2009 rehash, but watching it once for yourself wouldn't be a bother) Never know which ones will land for you. Freddy vs Jason is quite a bit of fun. Rather insane bit of cinema.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Thought they only canceled the plot of it showing Jason's origins growing up w/his mom. Oh well.

I recommend it all. (only one I'm super against is the 2009 rehash, but watching it once for yourself wouldn't be a bother) Never know which ones will land for you. Freddy vs Jason is quite a bit of fun. Rather insane bit of cinema.
No they canceled it in February because Rings had such a horrible showing at the box office... like 6 weeks before they were supposed to start filming.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The Wind Rises (2013)
Supposedly Miyazaki's last film. I'm probably grasping for straws here, but I thought the Caproni character was a caricature of Miyazaki himself, in regards to the dreams of fantasy and the talk about retiring their passions for their respective arts. Nevertheless, this is a gorgeous film and is beautifully animated in all of its storytelling glory. The score wonderfully calming and soothing. The subject matter, mature in its content dealing with dreams and passions and transforming them into a reality, the beauty and art of the human condition and its sense of fulfillment. 9/10

·
The face that runs the List
10,738 Posts
Hannibal Rising (2007)

Such an underrated movie. Glorious reconstitution, solid acting, bloody scenes, and good directing from Webber

Gaspard Ulliel might not have been the best choice to portray young Hannibal Lecter but he did his best and was legitimately scary in some scenes.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
Studios: Walt Disney Pictures/Marvel Studios
MPAA Rating: PG-13 For Sequences of Sci-Fi Action and Violence, Language, and Brief Suggestive Content

The bunch of a-holes return in the follow-up to Marvel Studios’ most out-there project but with it comes a batch of new characters and a feeling of been-there-done-that. In fact, even though this is only the 2nd Guardians of the Galaxy movie, it’s the 15th movie in the ever-expanding Marvel Cinematic Universe so the “been-there-done-that” attitude applies just as much to the Universe as a whole but that is not to say this is a bad movie because it’s not. The major thing, like a lot of sequels, is that it takes whatever worked in the previous movie and cranks them up (to both a benefit and a detriment) and whatever didn’t work and cranks them up too.

The biggest positive of this movie are the upgraded roles of all the players plus the inclusion two specific new characters: Peter Quill’s father, Ego, played by Kurt Russell and Mantis played by Pom Klementieff, who arguably steals the show. From Batista’s Drax to Michael Rooker’s Yondu, everybody gets a chance to shine. Another (obvious) point of contention is how incredible the visual effects are this time around and how visually distinct it looks from pretty much every other Marvel movie. And of course, the movie was so renowned for its Awesome Mix Vol. 1 so the only natural progression was to have an Awesome Mix Vol. 2 and it might just be even better than the first, at least in terms of its usage and not necessarily the quality of the songs though all the songs are fantastic. It’s a great example of how music can be a character in a movie.

Now, the things you would expect to be great in a movie like this are so there’s really no need to critique what you already had a feeling was going to be great going in I.E. the action, the visual effects, the music etc. There are two big things keeping this sequel’s from surpassing its predecessor and one of those things is an uneven plot mixed with an uninteresting core story.

The plot is muddled in favor of (admittedly awesome) action and the story of “Family” is what drives this movie, or, at least, tries to. The big revelation of Peter Quill’s father still being alive was teased heavily in the first movie and while Chris Pratt and Kurt Russell have good chemistry, the story payoff is underwhelming. Another key point is the story with Gamora and her sister Nebula, which almost seems forced and is severely undercooked.

The other thing is what I mentioned at the start: the “been-there-done-that” aspect. Guardians of the Galaxy was different in terms of tone and aesthetic from every MCU movie that came before it and while the tone/aesthetic part is true, everything else has lost its charm and plays it safe by the end. As for the villain? It’s a fact that MCU villains are mostly forgettable and that couldn’t be any truer here so I won’t delve further into that aspect.

While Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is still relatively entertaining featuring aspects most people were anticipating, it’s ultimately another Marvel sequel disappointment due to a disjointed plot and an overwhelming sense of familiarity.

6.75/10

P.S Yes, there are 4 post-credits scenes but I saw one because, well, I’m not staying all the way through the credits for 4 different scenes I largely don’t care about.

·
Registered
15,716 Posts
Legend, the theatrical cut -- Absolute perfection. Well, almost, anyway. I can't believe how immersed I was in the setting of this movie which is the cornerstone of a great fantasy. I just love how evil juxtaposes everything that is innocent and pure in this world to such great effect, the constant duality between darkness and light. Tim Curry IS the Lord of Darkness, the beastly embodiment of lust and perversion. Cosmetically he is unforgettable. I don't know how he fits so right at portraying twisted freaks of nature but he always seems to nail the performance. I'm glad that this movie provided a substantial canvas for his character, unlike Pennywise who seemed like the belle of the ball in an overly long episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? that completely fell apart by the 3rd act, IMO, but back to Legend; I wish that we got more fantasy movies this imaginative, because presented this way it's one of my absolute favorite genres. It made feel like a kid again.

9/10

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
^YESSSS. Legend one of the greatest ever :mark:

--------------------

Only a dream can kill a dream.

For all of its comedy, adventure, & romance, it's the mystic approach that seems to continuously fascinate me the more I frequently return to watching this glorious picture. How Carpenter wishes to fully embody a spiritual, reality-challenging world of Chinese myths, legends, & stories to break open joyful imagination.

Ancient spirits lie beneath the surface. Turn into the right alley in the right part of town & a whole new world can open up before your eyes. No matter how much you may want to question the circumstances, the more you experience it front of you, the more you begin to believe. Childhood tall tales become the evocation of all your wildest dreams & craziest of terrors. The random make-up of who you are in this story (the clumsy, dumb-luck outsider, skeptical, yet brave buddy, headstrong lawyer, ancient informer, etc) won't hinder maximizing your potential to become a hero in the truest form.

Legends may be real after all. Why stop embracing the memories of the past, when one of these days, the past can become your thrill ride of a future. To shake the pillars of Heaven like you never thought possible. No horseshit.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
The Lion King (1994)
Just catching up with something that I never got the chance of seeing throughout my childhood, until now. 10/10
This was me too until a few months ago. Happened to come across a DVD copy of it for a reasonable price at a store a few weeks ago. They go for $100 a pop online as it's in Disney's Vault. Was shocked I'd never seen it, but it's a 10/10 from me too. Absolutely legendary.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
We're never too old for a Disney film. "Hakuna matata".

The Americanization of Emily (1964)
This is a dark humor, dialogue driven drama, based on the second world war, where the first half is about a blossoming romance between a sailor and an English woman and the second half about the horrors of war. It's pretty twisted and ridiculous of what the mission the sailor had to go through, because it was based on a quote said by an admiral who wasn't mentally stable. There are a lot of speeches in the film, but the final epic speech was honest and tested the character of the victim. I also learned what a "dog robber" is and it has nothing to do with any of the defintions of the two aforementioned nouns. 8/10

·
Indeed
16,945 Posts

Trash. I'm always up for Lovecraftian Creature features, but this was such a disappointing pile of crap. Aside from two awesome sequences and the special effects, the rest of the film is garbage.

·
Ελευθερί&#
4,170 Posts
Jane Got a Gun 6/10

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Selena (1997)
I had no idea who Selena Quintanilla-Perez was prior to watching this. This is a biopic, about said person, portrayed by Jennifer Lopez. After listening to a few songs on Youtube, it turns out that Jennifer Lopez does sound like Selena, however it did make me question, is this really about Selena, or Jennifer Lopez showcasing her talent? It has that typical drama, biopic feel, with saturated yellow colours and fancy borders around the frame with flashbacks and stock footage shown. Selena was portrayed as an influential person that was famous for her latin music. The love story in this made me gag and some of the acting was iffy. 5/10

161 - 180 of 3023 Posts