Wrestling Forum banner

141 - 160 of 3024 Posts

·
Registered
15,732 Posts
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974 -- Legit the most disturbing movie I've seen so far. Could be because of how raw it feels. Could be because of how brilliantly effective Tobe Hooper was at projecting his batshit insanity onto the big screen. It's not so much the killing that got me, it's the unease from the harsh atmosphere that is palpable in every scene, to the point that when it ended I felt like I was just mentally prison-raped for 2 hours. It's really THAT twisted, and I honestly can't think of another horror/slasher that better lives up to it's genre.

10/10. FRANTIC personified.

·
#TeamCardcaptor and Oh... Still Music >>>> Wrestli
3,419 Posts
Ghost In The Shell - Live-action 2017: The movie isn't bad, at all. As Hollywood film based on a famous Anime movie goes, it isn't that bad. It's different and as a movie in itself, it does hold up. God, I loved the visuals and that is the kinda genre I enjoy the most. It's this futuristic/post-Apocalyptic feel to it which gave me that 90's futuristic gritty films like Dark City and Judge Dredd. Overall... I did enjoy it more than I have expected.

Ghost In The Shell - Anime: I guess, the mistake that I made is that I watched the Live-action movie before the Anime. They are different but awesome in their own way. It's interesting that the animated version is much grittier than the live-action which was more colorful. Of course and by default, the Anime wins but still giving credit to the movie makers, as well.

Colossal: This is an interesting yet goofy movie... Anne Hathaway has such large eyes, doesn't she? However... the primary reason that I watched this is because to support a friend in which she appears in like a second but hey, it was all worth it just for that ONE second.

Reactions: Blackbeard

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

John Carpenter's name doesn't need to be brought up next to this derivative pile of wank ever again.

The gimmick of favoring practical effects over jump scares isn't enough to blind me that this is still awful. In a time where horror films are constantly suffering, pictures like The Void need to stop. Living off this unbearable nostalgia play of films "being like how they were in the 1980's", while not having any of the characteristics, charm, or style that horror films from the specific decade held. Paper thin characters w/zero personality traits, over use of vulgar language to compress an already awful script, no imagination, no direction to assure the viewer they knew where they were going by the end. You get the picture.

There's enough issues w/this, but hey, lets give it a pass b/c it wants to recognize what clearly "inspires" it. How about no. Conjure up a sense of ACTUAL film-making - realism, formalism, surrealist, take your pick - and apply it. It may not be easy, but I'd appreciate the effort. Unlike here, where you fail instantaneously w/the laziness.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

A neon laced, supernatural neo-noir where it takes the ideology of "idle hands are the Devil's workshop", to turn it into a new mantra: Idle souls are demons domains.

Apathetic, affluent 20-somethings seem to occupy this branch of demonic possession more than most. Lethargy within the Millennials as they drift through their easy going lives, dropping relationships, disconnected w/family, & not wanting to pursue further in their very sturdy careers. The possessions seem to take hold & leech off of the most dire of instincts. The next literal high in a life presented as notoriously deadpan, where if you wind up dead the next day, you may be ok w/it, b/c it didn't require any effort whatsoever.

I love how befuddling it all tends to be. True blue Noir status. Not opting for one truth, but more of an asymmetrical reality. (key in on how numerous scenes were filmed from an obtuse angle) How it can incorporate a "belief" of demons/angels, various religious tropes w/o ever diving into the subjects on a deeper level like there may actually be a Heaven or a Hell. It adapts to one wild fantasmic attribute, while not giving up its overt nihilistic outlook.

Did I predict a dame-led, neo-noir built on a world where possessions occur semi-frequently would be something I need in my life? Not at all. Sure glad this came around to open my eyes that it totally is. For the pessimist in us all, here's to joyous deception & a darker future. It may be closer than you know.

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
I watched this on Blu Ray and my god it was amazing.

I've seen it ages ago on DVD but I got the Blu Ray for the visuals and wow.

Reactions: Reaper

·
From parts unknown
23,257 Posts
Get Out

If you've seen Stepford Wives, The Wicker Man and The Island, you've seen this.

I figured it out within the first 15 minutes so the supposed plot twist was stupid as fuck for me. Won't ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it but it's a bad movie. Grossly overrated.

3/10

·
Don't get between a wolf & its prey!
14,361 Posts

AKA The Landlord. Pretty dull, with nothing happening for most of it.

:bjpenn

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yol (1982)
This is a Turkish film that deals with 5 prisoners given a week to return back to their lives. When they return back to their lives, all is not as it seems and troubled pasts and struggles haunt them. Harsh realities are caught between the frames and the treatment of women here is disrespectful, but it is a powerful film that deals with family, the Kurdish laws, military and customs. 7/10

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
For the most part, it is a pretty fun film, action wise and humour wise. Although there might have been too much humour, which might have been detrimental towards the plot and development of characters, as only a few characters are fleshed out such as Star Lord, but everyone else is just side lined. The villain, which could be a pivotal character, became lackluster towards the climax. For a universe/planet that is expansive and vast, was oddly vacuous, but nevertheless the visuals are there, some CGI are hit and miss, music is enjoyable if you are into that period and genre of music and there are a lot of pop culture/easter eggs that can be admired. There are a few post credit scenes, but only one of them is important and the rest are just there for a temporary laugh. 6/10

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

Finality of the soul. One last return to the location as Jason Voorhees the man, before crossing over towards becoming Jason Voorhees: the entity.

The most brutal edition. Jason's bloodlust never seemed so blunt, nasty, & as a sign that he was truly pissed off. His actions almost seem strangely inconsequential. There's little why behind it all, other than he's going to try and rid more people off this Earth, that's in his way, simply b/c he can. Earning its reputation of "body count rising" more than all the rest, where Jason stacks bodies as shrines in his wake. Nailing corpses to walls, dangling bodies to block up doorways, continuing to hurl lifeless shells through windows. Tremendously bleak, which is a marvelous 180 from so much of the film's first two acts feeling like a Fast Times at Ridgemont High type w/its characters. Sex & lust more prominent, the teens adamant about shacking up w/each other, repartee on their talent between the sheets & the like. Thus proving how unpredictable things can become. Turning fornication into violence, penetration has a whole different meaning.

Psychological make-up within Tommy Jarvis is still one of the franchise's most interesting turn of events. While shown to be a creative, moderately odd child, Tommy is never presented as "the one" right off the bat, who was going to be Jason's rival/potential successor to evil. The love of masks, hiding his own image sticks out as the premiere cultivation, but ultimately it was the ramification of events which leads it all to come to pass. In an act to save his sister, Tommy just about gives up his own life, and becomes Jason 2.0. One child tormented by the sea, another child tormented by brutality. Often thought about how we never see the fate of Mrs. Jarvis on screen. Granted the knowledge of a deleted scene is now out there (and one I personally almost would have hoped made the final cut), it's left me pondering another connotation between Jason & Tommy. Did Tommy see the slashed corpse of his Mother during a time off camera? Does it lead to both sons having to see their matriarchs dead in front of them, culminating in the rawest of actions? I'm starting to believe so. Pardon the initial trauma of what is seen, how Jason is threatening both he & his sister right then and there, there's even a bit more behind the entire DIE DIE DIE breakdown we seen in the conclusion. Revenge often requires two shovels. RIP Jason Voorhees, RIP Tommy Jarvis, in so many ways.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Twas decent, I agree with the poster a page or so back to a degree. Not all that original or as amazing as some people especially critics would let on. But solid... In my opinion if this was meant to be a serious movie then its a failure...but as satire it worked decently well.

There were a few laugh out loud moments in this movie (Like the "twist"...), some felt they were intentional and some didn't.

The biggest irony in my mind is how white the main protagonist acts, sounds and dresses... yet a common theme in this movie is just how deviously "white" the rich folk are and the misconceptions and assumptions about black people they have. Which is why in part it shouldn't be taken as a serious film. To many contradictions and mixed messages for it to be anything but a satire. Final word is that its a decent watch and fairly entertaining but nothing earth shattering or anything I'd call must see...

Wasn't really into this until last 15 minutes... kinda plodding, but the ending is cool and has an awesome cameo that I wont ruin... it was an interesting flick in the sense that you never really know which version of Mcavoy would pop out... and he was amazing in this...probably the saving grace tbh... anyway worth it I suppose for the end cameo and Mcavoy...

·
Registered
15,732 Posts

Finality of the soul. One last return to the location as Jason Voorhees the man, before crossing over towards becoming Jason Voorhees: the entity.

The most brutal edition. Jason's bloodlust never seemed so blunt, nasty, & as a sign that he was truly pissed off. His actions almost seem strangely inconsequential. There's little why behind it all, other than he's going to try and rid more people off this Earth, that's in his way, simply b/c he can. Earning its reputation of "body count rising" more than all the rest, where Jason stacks bodies as shrines in his wake. Nailing corpses to walls, dangling bodies to block up doorways, continuing to hurl lifeless shells through windows. Tremendously bleak, which is a marvelous 180 from so much of the film's first two acts feeling like a Fast Times at Ridgemont High type w/its characters. Sex & lust more prominent, the teens adamant about shacking up w/each other, repartee on their talent between the sheets & the like. Thus proving how unpredictable things can become. Turning fornication into violence, penetration has a whole different meaning.

Psychological make-up within Tommy Jarvis is still one of the franchise's most interesting turn of events. While shown to be a creative, moderately odd child, Tommy is never presented as "the one" right off the bat, who was going to be Jason's rival/potential successor to evil. The love of masks, hiding his own image sticks out as the premiere cultivation, but ultimately it was the ramification of events which leads it all to come to pass. In an act to save his sister, Tommy just about gives up his own life, and becomes Jason 2.0. One child tormented by the sea, another child tormented by brutality. Often thought about how we never see the fate of Mrs. Jarvis on screen. Granted the knowledge of a deleted scene is now out there (and one I personally almost would have hoped made the final cut), it's left me pondering another connotation between Jason & Tommy. Did Tommy see the slashed corpse of his Mother during a time off camera? Does it lead to both sons having to see their matriarchs dead in front of them, culminating in the rawest of actions? I'm starting to believe so. Pardon the initial trauma of what is seen, how Jason is threatening both he & his sister right then and there, there's even a bit more behind the entire DIE DIE DIE breakdown we seen in the conclusion. Revenge often requires two shovels. RIP Jason Voorhees, RIP Tommy Jarvis, in so many ways.
I haven't watched a single one of these yet. I was always overwhelmed by how many there were. I really need to fix that soon and embrace the binge.

edit-- There's a Friday on the 13th of October this year. Start there and then finish on Halloween? :hmm

·
Registered
3,791 Posts

The Circle (2017) - 7.5/10 - Pretty solid flick. I enjoyed it and thought it was better than the reviews currently indicate. It was also kind of sad seeing Bill Paxton, didn't know he was in the movie.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
I haven't watched a single one of these yet. I was always overwhelmed by how many there were. I really need to fix that soon and embrace the binge.

edit-- There's a Friday on the 13th of October this year. Start there and then finish on Halloween? :hmm
Date seems fitting. Although, I say just start now, but I'm bias and clearly watch Horror stuff all year round. (or this year I really am) :cozy

There's 12, including Freddy vs Jason, plus next year, iirc, there will be another new addition to the franchise. So, it's starting to put the pressure on adding to an already long list of films. Although, once you're in, it becomes so fun, that 12 feels like nothing.

Reactions: KYRA BATARA

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Date seems fitting. Although, I say just start now, but I'm bias and clearly watch Horror stuff all year round. (or this year I really am) :cozy

There's 12, including Freddy vs Jason, plus next year, iirc, there will be another new addition to the franchise. So, it's starting to put the pressure on adding to an already long list of films. Although, once you're in, it becomes so fun, that 12 feels like nothing.
I'm pretty sure they canceled the new one.

·
Registered
15,732 Posts

I love the yearly tradition of watching nothing but horror in October, and I'm not a friggatriskaidekaphobiac so I'm sure that I can handle the pressure. :mj

Do you recommend Freddy vs Jason? That one seemed to me like somewhat of a bust, and not really part of canon.

141 - 160 of 3024 Posts