Wrestling Forum banner

121 - 140 of 3023 Posts

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
That timing was ridiculous. Last movie watched, conveniently the exact sequel to Sleepaway Camp. :CENA It's been a "watch people die while at camp" kind of day, I suppose. Might watch part III later on.

Silence of the Hams. Oh dear.

Reactions: KYRA BATARA

·
Indeed
16,945 Posts

One of the better zombie films of the last decade. Finally! Going through all the D-horror zombie films these past few years and I've finally found something great! Shows what you can do with a shoestring budget if you actually give a damn and put forth the effort (reportedly it was $200,000). :proud

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
L.A. Burning - The Riots 25 Years Later (2017)

Directors: One9, Erik Parker
Stars: Bart Bartholomew, Tana Daniels, Terry Ellis

L.A BURNING: The Riots 25 Years Later is a 2-hour documentary film exploring the lives of the people at the flashpoint of the LA riots, 25 years after the uprising made national headlines and highlighted the racial divide in America.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6728618/

8/10 - Great documentary about the '92 riots. Daryl Gates and his LAPD were the gutless cowards for those 2 days in 1992. I don't think much has been resolved even now, some 25 years later.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Payback (1999)
Action, with a plot of Mel Gibson seeking revenge on a former partner after betraying him on a heist. While seeking revenge, he is also being pursued by crooked cops wanting some money as well. It was decent, Lucy Liu as a dominatrix is an eyesore. 6/10

Ginger & Rosa (2012)
A family/friendship drama featuring Elle Fanning, Alice Englert (who speaks really eloquently here) and Christina Hendricks. What is witnessed is the up and downs of a friendship as events involving family members affect the psychology of Ginger, portrayed by Elle Fanning. It was ok. 5/10

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #131

The quiet and thrumming Imperial Dreams is most affecting as an internal portrait of a young black man’s struggle to embrace softness when the world tells him he has to be hard to survive. The film makes a case for the self-saving necessity of art and reflection even in the direst of circumstances, when the frustrations of poverty, homelessness, and caring for an energetic boy visibly frays this father's last nerve.

It's also blunt about the parolee’s limitations, both as a human being and a felon, whose kindness and imagination can’t will into existence what he needs most: stability and security in the form of a steady income. And while this father and his college-bound half-brother try to keep their heads up, it’s heartbreaking to see the tiny son never seems surprised by any of the ways life keeps knocking him down. No more than 6 years old, he’s already resigned to every cruel shove that life has in store for him.

Imperial is the slow triumph of warmth and decency, even when a final calamity will leave you drained of all of the moisture in your eyes.

Impressively naturalistic for most of the film, John Boyega's best scene comes late, when he turns into an angry lion forced to tame himself. He’s as burdened as his son’s equine fantasies are light. I recommend you add this Netflix Original film to your watch list.

Rating:

★★★

or is it (Y) now? :p

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

Parodic self expression. Scathing, wears the cynicism its sleeve.

Part II saw Angela on the perimeters of her rapidly growing psychosis. Nothing adapted, simply organic in her blood lust. Thrice times over and here comes the invincibility factor. A note to long enduring slasher franchises when they keep on ticking, there has to be a reason why. For Sleepaway Camp, Angela evades her demise by destined luck, anonymous gender/image identity & an uncanny knowledge of everything, including actual identity theft (hint hint) and a big rig truck, to make sure she can do whatever she pleases. A film that stands on its own two feet, not while lacking its facetious frame of a formula to ensure she's going to win again, but we're ok knowing the exercise.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Summer With Monika (1953)
When a man named Henry meets up with a woman named Monika, they decide to steal a boat and go on an adventure on their own to get away from their lives. The chemistry between the two stars were great, given the circumstances and that traits of a certain character in the film, damaged the relationship. It was good performances. Given it's time, that transition near the end from the shot of the man's face, to the landscape of the naked woman prancing along the rocks was interesting. The shot or image of the movie poster, Monika lying on top of a boat, is enticing. 7/10

Captain Fantastic (2016)
I'm either sufffering from a diminishing marginal utility of drama movies, or it was a strain for me to sift through the 'comedy'. Viggo Mortensen was great in this and there's a surprising appearance of his junk. The religious and markets talk spouting from one of the six children was annoying, as was their constant screaming and swearing and I cringed when that boy threatened his dad with the knife. It's a two hour movie and there was a lot of whimsical nonsense to push through before it finally got to a serious point, and for the serious points that did occur before the end, they were quickly treated as a joke. 5/10

·
Ελευθερί&#
4,170 Posts
Free State of Jones 7/10

121 - 140 of 3023 Posts