Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 3024 Posts

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

When lighting strikes the lovewitch. Worshiping at the altar of the divine & the damned. To be sacrificed or to be saved, that is the principal once entering this domain.

Its not so much a film, more of an external expression on how to enhance, or obliterate, the senses within human construction.

Gorgeous neon lights to illuminate the terror; enhance the madness. As opulent as it is puncturing. Vibrant; each scene never at a stand still. Design so striking, detail so up close it transcends the screen you see it on. Big or small. To feel the pain of razor wire piercing skin, touch a part of the deliriously painted walls, or have the feeling of maggots landing on you as they fall from the ceiling. Goblin's nerve-bending, maniacal, & majestic soundtrack that shakes the viewer to the core. Blended w/the silences where sometimes the only sound available is panting & the clinks of a straight razor trying to pry open a lock. A configuration that can only be mellifluous in an Argento film.

"Bad luck isn't brought by broken mirrors, but by broken minds." How I love thee. This was late-night haphazard gushing at my most blatant. I've been largely out of focus all day, similarly being Suzy Bannion of my own reality. But I had to put some words to the defining piece of the Giallo genre. How its influence shaped horror & myself all at the same time. The opus of delirium. When a film becomes a drug, or rather, a sedative. Escapism becomes the only way to live. That's when this love truly assists me.

·
Banned
10,724 Posts
As far as movies go I am still recovering from Logan :lol

Interstellar. Matthew McConaughey is fucking incredible. I mean the evoloution this guy has shown since True Detective has been phenominal. To go off most of your career as the guy with the Wash Board Abs. To Dallas Buyers Club, to this. Is quite amazing. Was he trolling rest of his career? I think it is an example of script. He may have always had it in him. But when he did True Detective. It allowed him to break type cast. And take on more challenging roles. The movie it self is quite good. One of the best space movies ever.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Spaceballs (1987)
This had a Wilhelm scream in it. So many memorable quotes and scenes in this movie. The Alien reference and Pizza the Hutt killed me. Definitely had a blast and fun time viewing this. 8/10

·
Actively avoiding Testicular Torsion
4,025 Posts
As far as movies go I am still recovering from Logan :lol

Interstellar. Matthew McConaughey is fucking incredible. I mean the evoloution this guy has shown since True Detective has been phenominal. To go off most of your career as the guy with the Wash Board Abs. To Dallas Buyers Club, to this. Is quite amazing. Was he trolling rest of his career? I think it is an example of script. He may have always had it in him. But when he did True Detective. It allowed him to break type cast. And take on more challenging roles. The movie it self is quite good. One of the best space movies ever.
Interstellar and Dallas Buyers Club :banderas

Being a science fiction fan and having a passion for space, I must say Interstellar has earned the place as my favorite movie of all time. I'm still catching up with movies from the 70s-90s, as I was only born less than 2 decades ago.

Reactions: 3ku1

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
Spaceballs (1987)
This had a Wilhelm scream in it. So many memorable quotes and scenes in this movie. The Alien reference and Pizza the Hutt killed me. Definitely had a blast and fun time viewing this. 8/10
I've literally combed a desert thanks to this film.

·
Don't get between a wolf & its prey!
14,361 Posts

Reactions: Blackbeard

·
Premium Member
44,030 Posts
After watching Logan, I got the itch to go back and watch the other X-Men movies. I watched the original three this weekend.

X-Men (2000) = At times, this movie feels more like a TV pilot for a Saturday morning cartoon than a movie. It gives us brief intros to the characters, sets up the basis for the continuing story, and doesn't do anything that huge, opting to save the big stuff for later. That makes it feel somewhat small scale and the characters don't feel fully fleshed out. There are some other issues as well. I never liked the portrayal of Rogue as the kid sidekick/McGuffin of the story. I always felt like Cyclops was portrayed as too much of a dick just to make Wolverine look better. And what the hell is up with Sabretooth's design?!?!?

However, consider the time period this movie was made in. This came out in 2000 following a LONG string of terrible comic book/superhero adaptations. After Burton's Batman, it felt like we got nothing but garbage. For this movie to come out and be half way decent is almost commendable. It was a step in the right direction. The powers of the mutants make for fun action sequences, and some strong casting (McKellan, Stewart, and Jackman especially) elevate the film higher than it would have been otherwise. 6.5/10

X2: X-Men United (2003) = Everything about this is a massive improvement from the previous film. The characters and there interactions are a lot more interesting this time around, and cast looks as if it feels more comfortable in the roles and with the material, the story is bigger and better, and mutant powers on display are improved as well. To get one of my favorite X-Men, Nightcrawler, handled so well, was very gratifying. Hugh Jackman really gets to cut a little bit more loose as Logan as he makes the character his own. OK, the handling of Rogue and Cyclops still sucks, but everything else is pretty spot on. While she never gets fleshed out to the degree that I would have liked, Rebecca Romijn's Mystique gets her best material here. And hey, I really like Stryker as the villain. There is something appealing to me about villains like Lex Luthor, Grand Admiral Thrawn, Zemo from Civil War, and Stryker in this film. A powerless opponent that uses his resources and intelligence to make life challenging for the heroes. Also the conflict between Mutants and Humankind feels more real in this film than it does in most of the other X-films. 9/10

X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) = OK, it is the weakest of the original trilogy of X-Men films, but I never thought it was as bad as people said it was. It certainly isn't one of the worst Superhero films ever made (I lived through Superman IV, Spawn, and Schumacher Batman...that's pain!). Granted, there is plenty of dumb stuff here. Rogue STILL SUCKS! Three movies, and you can't get her right? Seriously? (BTW, I'm not blaming Anna Paquin, I blame the writers/directors). There are also some weird character turns like why does Logan care if Jean's powers are being repressed by Charles? Why does Magneto leave Mystique to the wolves instead of helping (up to this point I got the impression that he cared about her). Why is Angel even in the movie? He is so inconsequential, why even bother? The MST3K conditioned part of my brain couldn't help but say "I was completely useless!" every time Angel flew across the screen. There are other weird moments like that sprinkled throughout the film.

But there is some good stuff too. We get Beast played by Kelsey Grammar and he's kind of perfect. Also the major conflict of the story and the morality surrounding it (The Cure, whether or not it should exist, and whether or not its right to take it) is all very interesting and actually leads to some interesting debates among the characters. And we get plenty of good action, especially towards the end. The Juggernaut/Shadowcat fight goes about exactly how I'd expect it to be and it looks great. The scene of Magneto raising the Golden Gate Bridge is a jaw dropping display of Mutant powers. And while it is rushed and haphazard, some of the moments with Phoenix are legitimately creepy. It makes me wish they had done the Cure as one movie and the Phoenix stuff as another one.

And some of the stuff people complain about with this film were pre-existing conditions from the other two movies. Rogue sucks...OK, but she's sucked for two films prior to this, so, yeah. Cyclops gets written off early...yeah, but he barely did anything in the other two movies, so he wasn't that important anyway. Some of the one liners are groaners...which was the case with the other two films as well (What happens to a toad when its struck by lightning? IT CROAKS! FOR GOD'S SAKE, IF YOU ARE GOING FOR CHEESY ONE LINERS, GO ALL THE WAY!).

There is enough good in this film to make me think that in better hands, this movie could have been amazing. As is, it is a heavily flawed film with some good moments that keep me from hating it. 6/10

·
The One Free Man
7,331 Posts

I've got a nice long holiday off work (10 days!) so I decided to watch some movies that I've had for a while but never actually bothered to watch, this was the first. Even though it has a thin plot in terms of what happens in the movie, and how the Enchantress escapes - she pretty much just does, that's it - the main thing I like about the movie is the characters, and the interactions that they have with eachother. Everyone gets a good amount of screen time to show off their different skills and personalities. Even the two I thought I would have the most dislike for (Joker and Harley Quinn) are both brilliantly portrayed, and Margot Robbie does a great job of not making her character look, and sound, too over-the-top, or bat-shit crazy, like some portrayals.

Even actors like Jai Courtney, who I've disliked in all films I've watched him in, pretty much steal every scene he is involved in - I LOVED his character and want to see more from him. And Will Smith should just stick to action movies from now on (good ones) because the genre he is most suited to, and always gives an entertaining performance. Even the little bits of musical scores I thought was well done and incorporated well into each scene, never felt over done - plus they had PARANOID, always great to hear!

Just hope they bring back El Diablo in the next film... There will be another film, right...?!

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

A Sid & Marty Krofft film once the psychedelics wore off, and the paranoia set in. Bright colors defunct, drab and dark is what dimly projects through the prism. Trademark elder antagonist trying to invade the land. Pillage and plunder souls for slavery. Consistent arc on if the events taking place are mind-bending truths or manifested through grief.

Do dreams only morph into nightmares while comatose? Is the TALL MAN the suburbia appointed Grim Reaper? The answers only seem to lie within each individual. FEAR v. NO FEAR. The battle among everyone, at all times.

Reactions: Jackal

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
Basket Case 1982

Midnight movies are the best.....I grew up in the UK, in a pretty 'liberal' household - ie do whatever the fuck you like as mummy is drunk, on drugs and entertaining Mr dick! So i remember seeing this movie for the first time on a shitty TV station in 1998 at like 2am. I was 11 and fucking loved it. Since then, i've always been passionate about 'unmainstream' movies. However, this one stands out to me, along with Little Criminals (1995). Both were my reason for education and art. Their roughness is perfection!

·
The One Free Man
7,331 Posts

"It's all in the Reflexes"

Another movie that I've had for ages and never bothered to actually watch it, and it's another Carpenter movie. Why did it take me this long? It doesn't take long before you're thrown into the actually story down in Chinatown and it never lets up. Great action, brilliant characters, funny moments and lines, plus great martial arts... It's got it all. Still amazes me how much of a great actor Kurt Russell is, love all his roles (that I've seen). Plus this is just another great movie from the always fantastic JOHN 'MOTHER FUCKING' CARPENTER!

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

From celluloid dimensions to full blown celluloid hell.

That's how you do a sequel. These two films have both kind of been crafted to exist on some hyper reality levels. Coscarelli is killing it.

Reactions: Jackal

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts

I've mostly enjoyed this recent run of Disney live action remakes, and this was no different. While the songs that they used from the original disney movie weren't as good as in that movie, that's not to say they are bad at all, just that those songs are very hard to top. I thought just about everyone was good, even though i don't think any of them really tried to have a accent. The servants were probably my favorite part of the movie next to the music, they were great. Emma Watson is a pretty good belle, didn't enjoy her as much as i like belle in the 1991 version,but again that's hard to live up too. Also thought Luke Evans was a great gaston imo. dude was a straight asshole, but still made me laugh a few times. I was also glad that while it's very faithful to the original version, it's not a straight up scene for scene recreation of the movie, there's extra songs and a few extra scenes that add some background to belle and the beast.

As for what was not good about the movie. The Beast's look was 50/50 as far as sometimes he looked good enough that the cgi doesn't distract you, and then other times where he looks like a video game character. Also I didn't think he was angry enough at the start, when Beast in the OG disney version got mad the whole place would shake, this beast at best sounded irritated.

I'll give this movie a B, very enjoyable and i left with a smile on my face.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts

The Fate of the Furious (2017)
Studio: Universal Pictures
MPAA Rating: PG-13 For Prolonged Sequences of Violence and Destruction, Suggestive Content, and Language.

The 8th installment in this long-running franchise is the most over-the-top in the series yet. This particular series is an interesting position that for many franchises that have gone on this long, franchise fatigue is paramount and shark-jumping is inevitable. While many "purists" of the series will reject where the series has gone and what it's become, many have seemed to embrace this direction and yet, after 8 movies, still manages to reinvent itself and stay relevant.

Despite this being the first F&F movie post-Paul Walker's ultimately death, Family is still crucial to the heart of this series and his presence is felt throughout. Under director F. Gary Gray, the returning cast from The Rock and Jason Statham, who steal the show, to Vin Diesel to Michelle Rodriguez to Kurt Russell to newcomers Scott Eastwood, Helen Mirren, and main antagonist Charlize Theron, who gives a rousing performance as the amiable-yet-persistently devious Cipher, are all entrapped in a hyper-kinetic international plot with the most insane action the series has produced, which is really saying a lot.

To avoid spoilers and not talk about the many twists and turns, the basic plot of this movie is Cipher lures Dominic Toretto into the world of terrorism which causes him to go rogue and betray his family. What that is isn’t explicitly said early on, you know it’s incredibly serious that it makes Dom betray those who are closest to him.

As for how the rest of the movie plays out, it’s like every action movie you can think of but not because it’s “formulaic” but because it conveys a variety of elements from several different kinds of action movies: it’s a car-chase adventure that has been the foundation of the series from the beginning to a brawling-action movie to an international cyber-thriller all wrapped in a family drama so it has something that’ll appeal to everyone.

Another thing that isn’t lost on these movies is its sense of humor and many of the movie’s brightest points are the interactions between The Rock’s Luke Hobbs and Jason Statham’s Ian Shaw, even Helen Mirren and Kurt Russell get some hysterical lines in.

Action is the draw of these movies and Fast 8 delivers delivers the most enthralling the series yet and takes the action from Cuba to New York to the icy heart of Russia in its massive 3rd act, this is as international as any of the Bond films and then some.

Of course, there are logistical holes and while it doesn’t require the same suspension of disbelief that entailed Fast & Furious 6, it doesn’t quite have the perfect balance that Furious 7 had and this franchise feels like it’s starting to wain creatively. What else can they do? Go into space? Time-travel? Become actual superheroes and villains? But like it’s been proven time and time again, just as this franchise seems to be wearing thin creatively, they surprise us and manage to top itself. As mentioned earlier, if you’re a “purist” of this series and its grounded roots, stay clear of this one. If you’ve been following these movies for 16 years now and have accepted this series’ transition from grounded racing movies to international action adventures, see it.

From the dynamic chemistry of the cast to the caring and serious commitment to the idea of “Family”, Fate of the Furious is another strong entry in this franchise.

8.25/10

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

Araki's Phantom of Liberty? Perhaps Un Chien Andalou would make more sense - it was shown for one + especially w/dream imagery at a high among both, but I get the gist that affluent kids who can afford university, eating meals out every night, & go to concerts where money is no object (Smith's own mom was shown to be rather loaded w/the greenbacks in the Hollywood hills) plays a significant balance to the cult wanting to control the world. Intersections of life, in all of its weirdest forms, as a biting form of cynicism towards upper class excess & flat out nihilism. This is w/o pigeon-holing the imaginative Araki as going "full Bunuel" w/angsty, over-sexed charm. More of a similar & somehow different vein where inspirations were more worn on his sleeve than others. Kaboom is so "Araki", that I'll over-use his surname one more time as a verb to drive the theory home. The Doom Generation gone and went BOOM at the turn of the digital decade. Here lies its colorful aftermath.

It's a fuxin trip. None of it has to matter if you experience it. There's the message.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I'm hoping somebody can help me out, I'm currently watching fast & furious Tokyo drift.
I've seen all of them apart from this, the one after it and fast 8.

But Han dies in this, am I missing something because he is in the later films, no? Or am I completely wrong and confused about this?

41 - 60 of 3024 Posts