Wrestling Forum banner

2941 - 2960 of 2980 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Knives Out (2019)
Loved how everything flowed and played out in this film. It was funny, mysterious, tense and the script was great. Loved how the characters intertwined and interacted with each other and the way scenes transitioned from one to the next revealing character motivation, flaws and the versatility of the scenes. 9/10

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
I don't think there was a Wilhelm scream in here. I was looking out for it, but it seems they were just ordinary screams. I thought it was decent, it was quite an obvious nostalgic trip, not quite a fan of the storytelling involved in which there was no need for concern for the main character as plot armour and deus ex machina was in full effect. 6/10

·
I'm too busy, faded in Japan with the crew
10,259 Posts

FOUR STARS!​

·
Premium Member
43,813 Posts
Doctor Sleep

I went into this with low expectations and thought it would be a cash grab sequel to count on nostalgia for the original story/film/book. Despite that, I found myself engaged by the first half of the film and I was curious to see where it was going...but sadly, the ending didn't live up. The evil force driving the film turned out to be laughably incompetent, which cut the tension down to almost nothing, and sure enough, we head right back to the hotel, where we get all the cheap nostalgia stuff. Its almost feels like the movie tricked me into being good, and then it decided to be lame.

The film isn't a total disaster or anything. The acting is generally good, and like I said, it starts off with some promise. Its just a shame that it devolved into a mess in the 2nd half.
(5/10)

·
\m/
23,664 Posts

Really good film with a great cast and performances all around. Saoirse and Florence in particular shine here. With this and Lady Bird Greta Gerwig is certainly proving to be a strong director.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Joker. I never thought it would be done but Phoenix delivered just as good of a performance, arguably better, than Ledger‘s from The Dark Knight. I hope Phoenix wins an Academy Award as his version of The Joker was magnificent. You really gain insight into how the human being descends into madness that is Joker.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Brothers

I've seen it multiple times, great movie. Jake Gyllenhaal and Toby McGuire had very strong performances. Along with Natalie Portman. Underrated movie in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,994 Posts

Found Footage style horror film, set in catacombs beneath Paris. It's tense and claustraphobic. 3/5 stars. Better than your average found footage horror.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Rewatched Oldboy the other day, and I revised my 4.5 star rating, up to a 5. It's just a fantastic piece of film making. Shame the US remake was so bad. If they had checked their egos and taken the effort to just make a scene-for-scene English language remake, they'd have had so much more success.

Doesn't matter though. Park Chan-Wook's original masterpiece will always be fucking brilliant.

2941 - 2960 of 2980 Posts