Wrestling Forum banner

2761 - 2780 of 2979 Posts

·
Banned
89 Posts
What Men Want

A gender-swap AND race-swap reboot of a naff 90s comedy? Must get some people's froth up :D By-the-numbers rom-com, but it did get a few chuckles, and Tracy Morgan is his lovely random self.

6/10

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

The art of the feminine, the TRUE mother of tears. Completely bonkers at how singular this is next to Argento's original, that I'll only put the two side by side just for the fun of the difference. Won't hold anything bad against this for what it becomes and how it executes itself in a bleak, pointy/blocky aesthetic gaze of Motherhood's bond with witchcraft. The fact it doesn't try to hide its idea of witches living off the form of the dance/youth, because it kind of ends up going deeper with the mystery behind that. Like it's not about THOSE witches, but it's about how matriarchy will breed a different form of power/messianic takeover. It's Horror in the elements & spirit, coupled with Horror of the body & mind. The ripping of the chest forms a wound that's purely vaginal. Open it up, birth your power, and take it back. The twenty minute climax is gorgeous as it is supremely demented, exactly what a geometrically defined piece of terror needed to escalate towards.

·
Premium Member
43,784 Posts
Saw the live action Aladdin today.

Basically, it is a lesser version of the animated movie I saw over 25 years ago. Almost everything about it is a downgrade from the original while offering very little to help it stand on its own.

If the early version didn't exist, this movie might be okay as there are some decent things here and there, but as is, this film will live in the shadow of what came before it.

If you like a nostalgia trip and enjoy the music and imagery of the original being presented again, then you'll probably like it. If you're like me and can't stand the live action Disney reboots, then your best bet is to skip this one.

4/10

·
Premium Member
677 Posts

Movie delivered as advertised. Awesome kaiju action. That first scene where Godzilla was underwater and staring everyone down was bad ass. Just fantastic. The creature designs,special effects and sound were great.

Too bad the rest of the film outside of any scenes Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins appeared in,were uninspired and boring. You could tell Ken and Sally really tried to add dignity to this but they could only do so much. The script was thinner than rice paper.

The first Godzilla in 1954 and Hideaki Anno's Shin Godzilla were far superior. Especially the way Godzilla looked in Anno's vision.

Saw King of the Monsters yesterday on an early Saturday to pay homage to the times I watched the older Godzilla films as a kid on Saturday mornings. During a slow sequence,a guy in the theatre suddenly yelled "GET YOUR CELL PHONE OUT OF THE THEATRE!" Holy shit,I hate people on their phones too but this guy screamed as if he was watching high art from Kubrick or Malick.

Also the audience applauded at the end. Good for them,but it was sad that far superior films don't get that reaction.

*** out of **** stars (Roger Ebert scale)

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts

One of our movie channels really loves to play Mox's movie :D

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Rocketman (2019)
The costumes, scene transitions and the dance numbers are insane. There is a great display of excellent storytelling and visuals in this movie. The starting dance number had a great use of colour and saturation for a flashback. The movie is filled with radiance and energy mixed with deep dark and depressing emotions. This would be great for a character study of Elton John. One of my favourite scenes involved Elton John turning into a rocket, flying into the sky and exploding in a grand array of blue fireworks. 8/10

·
Registered
45,092 Posts
]

Wild Things this is not, but queer girl trash is still watchable trash. It's not even so much the overly twisty nature of things that throw it off, but rather, its sterile look & feel throughout that makes it not quite as slinky/fun as it should be. Jamie Babitt's But I'm A Cheerleader is one of the most beautiful, colorful, beloved films I've seen, with no grand budget itself, then there's this and it's somehow the most olive/beige film around. I wonder why they opted for that, and not having a single note of color. Then the framing in certain scenes is just straight up bush league, it's a bummer. But hey, Madeline Zima can be a (darkly askew) manic pixie dream girl in any film she wants; she's the only thing about this that feels higher than the rest of the content. No regrets though, could be better in enough ways, that ol story. Still, happy Pride month.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
I went and saw two movies at the theater Tuesday seeing they were only $5.25 each and I could walk out of one theater and into the other about 10 minutes or so before the second one started.

Brighburn

A good popcorn movie. As the commercials showed it is a retelling of the Superman origin. Names changed to protect the innocent. In this case it asks what would happen if as a child Superman was a bit of a brat and had some anger issues. Plus the possibility of he comes from a less peaceful race. What the commercials only partly hinted at, at least to me, is that this movie has a horror movie vibe. It all works to create a fun movie. It is hinted in a credits scene that this could be part of a shared universe with other warped DC heroes including a warped Batman via Rainn Wilson's The Crimson Bolt from Super.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

Better than I expected. The monster scenes were cool as I expected but the human dialog was much better. From the commercials I expected a ton of cheesy jokes and lines but really the only ones for the most part were in the commercials. For the most part character development was decent. Since this is a Godzilla movie that is minor thing to me.

The story including the history of the monsters was well done. I saw quite a few nods to past Japanese Godzilla movies. I loved they keep the roar and also a touch of the old music. Based on some things said in the movie and also in the first credits bonus scenes I see how they are setting up Godzilla vs King Kong. Should be good stuff.

On a side note, there was a scene in Godzilla that was similar to one in Brightburn that stood out due to seeing them back to back.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

Cursed entity Jason earns more surrealistic pathos in this piece. This is probably less new of a note from my first review, but it's such a fine point to the film that I have to give it some more shine. The powers are now at an all time high, the killing is bountiful and focused, and yet, we're seeing the tortured self radiate through the damp, goopy, constantly wet mangled reanimated body. There's a pain there that will never fade. Killing is cathartic or addicted, maybe both to Jason Voorhees. Time to rest until resurrection again.

Love it forever.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
Booksmart - 2019

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1489887/

On the eve of their high school graduation, two academic superstars and best friends realize they should have worked less and played more. Determined not to fall short of their peers, the girls try to cram four years of fun into one night.
This is fantastic, hilarious, and great performances by the two leads. Olivia Wilde shows tremendous ability as a director as well. It's just a great buddy comedy movie.

It's just highly enjoyable and what I really liked is it resists the familiar tropes that tend to go along with 'nerds go to big popular party at the end of school etc' type teen movies.

I'd recommend this to anyone. Easily one of the best movies I've seen this year.

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,000 Posts

Umm... Am I a bad person if this is my favourite one?

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,000 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Escape Room - 7/10

Combines the concept behind the Cube and Saw movies, but without much gore. Watchable if not ground breaking. Could have done without the last 5 mins or so completely exposing the organisation behind the "games" and their processes.

2761 - 2780 of 2979 Posts