Wrestling Forum banner

181 - 200 of 3023 Posts

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,329 Posts
Selena (1997)
I had no idea who Selena Quintanilla-Perez was prior to watching this. This is a biopic, about said person, portrayed by Jennifer Lopez. After listening to a few songs on Youtube, it turns out that Jennifer Lopez does sound like Selena, however it did make me question, is this really about Selena, or Jennifer Lopez showcasing her talent? It has that typical drama, biopic feel, with saturated yellow colours and fancy borders around the frame with flashbacks and stock footage shown. Selena was portrayed as an influential person that was famous for her latin music. The love story in this made me gag and some of the acting was iffy. 5/10
The love story angle, the part with the cholos and the brother is a little cringe. I think what they fucked up on with this movie was they didn't focus on the music or important things that happened. Selena was poised to be big in America and was already big in Mexico. I think they focused too much on dumb things with the family and not the overall bigger picture. It's a shame really because Selena was killed right on the cusp of fame.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts

Trash. I'm always up for Lovecraftian Creature features, but this was such a disappointing pile of crap. Aside from two awesome sequences and the special effects, the rest of the film is garbage.
It was stylish, had some really cool visuals, but ultimately it was a huge let down for me. I honestly just kept waiting for Pinhead or the lament configuration to show up in some capacity because of how "similar" this was to Clive Barker's work. Also, it was a great idea to cut the movie off right as something interesting finally happened. I know they probably didn't have the budget to delve any deeper into that, but it was still irritating.

·
Banned
10,724 Posts
The Aviator. De Caprio :mark:

Reactions: Blackbeard

·
Premium Member
3,542 Posts
LA 92 (2017) (Documentary)

Directors: Daniel Lindsay, T.J. Martin

A look at the events that led up to the 1992 uprising in Los Angeles following the Rodney King beating by the police.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6794424/

3/10 - I was really looking forward to watching this documentary from 'National Geographic' channel, but was a real let-down, it was really just footage from 1991/1992. No current-day interviews from key people involved.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

You know, sure, it is a remake so it begins behind the 8 ball. But honestly, why, why, why on Earth, does something like this get green-lit when it doesn't have a single shred of life within its core? You want to watch and say "maybe it'll figure itself out as it goes on". Nope. No stakes, no satire, no vision, nothing. Absolutely nothing. For nearly 2 full hours. As dour as it opens, it ends even colder. I'd have accepted a ridiculous hot mess that at least tries. Instead, we all get zilch. Using a general sense of POLITICS, w/no actual political stance (robots over humans, but where was it even stated that this was possibly an issue to matter once in the film? You can't just say things and expect them to matter b/c that's how you want to lazily move your plot) Those terrible shaky cam moments where it wants to film the scenes w/the wife like an over-emotional indie flick, what in the hell was that? Disaster.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,400 Posts
Mad Max Fury Road Chrome Edition

Saw this at the cinema today, as it had a special one day showing.

Still a masterpiece even in black and white. It was like watching the movie again for the first time. You also see little nuances you may have missed in the full color version too tbh.

·
Stay Fearless
7,382 Posts

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
So I re-watched Office Space last night as it was on TV and was doing other things and wanted something on the tube. First time in years and I do not recall if I had this thought back then but I wondered if most of the movie is just Peter dreaming while hypnotized. I mean he was being hypnotized when the dude died. So maybe he was stuck in there and could not get out.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

Remarkably average. Shame, guess the more impressionable me years ago remembered this differently. Good grief at how on the nose all the symbolism is. There's a good way to do that (The Holy Mountain comes to mind) then there's this, where it's like "ok, I get it. but don't lose what this story is trying to be about." Not sure how the world going to shit b/c life lost its ability to grow, morphs into CAPITALISM IS BAD & xenophobia. Perhaps if it actually explored these themes, namely the capitalism, it could have felt more earned in the ruination of culture it was striving for. Felt like obstacles set in place to create tension and fits for the premise so it wouldn't be an easy journey to destined "salvation". That or taking it from a book, only having 100 minutes to absorb lots of theories on dystopian earth causes things to be cherry picked at will.

Probably best known these days for its roving camera work, which is still its finest attribute throughout. Sometimes the camera work in scenes is dodgy, but those well orchestrated moments where it totally dives in, having a mind of its own to peer into this bleak world, it was landing. There's a mish-mash of a story going on, then there's the world around it. So it's kind of disjointed, yet interesting at times. Hordes of horse burning in a field. Massive living complexes as crippling domains to beleaguered society. Harrowing visual fare that packed enough of a punch, but not enough to strengthen the core.

Doesn't help that Theo is the only solid character of the bunch. His cynicism molds well w/my own perspective of living (either in this current time, or a time like his own) We don't quite get that moment when it clicks that he's trying to provide hope for a world that desperately can use it, again, more statements of underwritten areas, but he's generally so honest of a persona, that once you see how far he goes to help, it feels proper. Then there's the rest of the bunch. Not up to par w/the central persona. Too many were annoying, for one bland complaint. Honestly, though, having the lone individual who can procreate be a minority immigrant from the slums is so tacky, & cliche, I just couldn't care to get behind any of it. b/c middle class must not sell as well for an emotional journey. Film lacked the bleaker ending it deserved, too. Kee alone in a boat w/the child. Fade to black. Leaving us w/the question if hope was attained or if the journey proved fleeting, now that's the way you probe signs of the world on its knees.

Has its moments of fascination. I'm a fan of the subject matter, all the same, this could have been so much stronger.

·
Registered
45,092 Posts

Idealism of the open road. Endless possibilities to be riding free, stripped to the waist, the world in your rear-view mirror as you set to go where your heart desires. Then you open your door to the devil incarnate. All plans to maximize the briskness of life stops. Thunder claps, rain drizzles, darkness looms. You're stuck in the dead zone, until one of you finally stops ticking.

Lost highways of innocence, thrusting the most unassuming individual into a cat & mouse variation through a non-metaphorical, but wholly literal seven circles of hell where the strategy is kill or be killed. Filled w/so much influence of how the old west can still exist, in the most terrifying of ways, this is a new type of Blood Western. It may not include vampires, yet it doesn't quell the lust for plasma to flow non-stop.

Structuring its basis around absolute sadism & survival, an anomaly, a specter labeled John Ryder mangles up the roadside proving to be more than a cautionary tale. He's one who seems to get his kicks by destroying any decent sense of sanity in letting others live in peace. Hunting, playing, flat out deteriorating lives for no reason whatsoever than b/c he wants to. Ensuring those he tortures to "fight back", to make it more of a challenge as he instantaneously stalks, kills, repeats w/o so much as a second thought. In order to maintain your safety, you're gonna have to be pushed to the edge. He won't stop. Death is the only solution. Even in Ryder's last breath, as long as he forces another to experience misery, he still wins.

Elemental expression of the desolate terrors hiding in plain sight & those that act as a reflection of what may lie in the mind. How much of this was potentially imagined by Jim Halsey before he finally got to convince others of his innocence. It teeters on the tease that it could be a bend of the mind, or the ultimate turn into having to mature in the most brutal of ways overnight. I'm working through both possibilities.

An absolute favorite within the realms of cinema. Psychological, horrifying, westworld forward, environmentally aplomb, & grim. It's all of the above, and still so much more.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
re-watched the first Guardians of the Galaxy last night.

·
★ Liverpool FC ★
2,460 Posts

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors:

Freddy Krueger: "This is it, Jennifer. Your big break in TV. Welcome to prime time, bitch!"

Filled with laughs and unsetteling scenes, Freddy is back once again to haunt and torment a young group of people.
Written by Wes Craven, the plot now focuses on Freddy Krueger seeking revenge by killing off the remaining children from
the parents that burned him. Nancy Thompson from the original movie returns as well as she tries to help the others
control their dreams.

The opening scene doesn't take long to create that gloomy atmosphere and set the mood for the rest of the movie.
Dream Warriors jumps right in before we're even introduced to any characters besides Kirsten and I absolutely loved it.
The practical effects, Robert Englund's performance and entire set-up were great. I have to admit though that the first
half of the movie was better than the second one. I can live with poor, early 90's visual effects but the wrecking yard
seen was too much for me to handle. What I appreciated the most was the fact that the movie starts off with this mysterious,
eerie vibe and later shifts in Freddy Kreuger running around, yelling and mocking his victims. Hats off to both Chuck Russell
and Wes Craven for that. Let's be honest. I must be dreaming because this piece of cinema is pure brilliance when it comes to
campy Horror flicks with practical effects. Freddy Krueger is without a doubt one of the most hilarious and wicked monster
villains ever.

Rating: 8.5/10

·
★ Liverpool FC ★
2,460 Posts
@The Masked One

Is that one with the girl learning karate from her brother and fights Freddy in a Church? I haven't seen any of them in so long but that's my most memorable of the bunch.
Nope, but that sure sounds like a blast! I haven't seen them all so I don't know.
EDIT: I googled it and the one you're looking for is A Nightmare On Elm Street 4.

·
Registered
15,716 Posts
Nope, but that sure sounds like a blast! I haven't seen them all so I don't know.
EDIT: I googled it and the one you're looking for is A Nightmare On Elm Street 4.
Ah ok it very well could be pt 4. They all kinda blend together in my head after all these years, tbh. :lol

Yeah it's a blast if you don't take it too seriously. It's like Rocky 4 in the sense that it's so overtly and unabashedly over-the-top yet so fun to watch.

181 - 200 of 3023 Posts