Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a big problem I have with the current product.

I think tweeners could play a huge role in the framework/hierarchy of a roster. The problem we face now is whether the company are willing to take a risk with a slow burn. More often than not, they don't, such is their desperation for 'the next big thing'. People not knowing whether they are to cheer to boo can be fantastic. Certainly within the current product, I feel fans are given too much of a clue as to who to boo and who to cheer. Now, I hate to hark of clichéd examples, but Austin was a tweener from his 'Stone Cold' debut all the way up to the 'double turn' with Bret Hart. The beauty of this event in particular is that (to a certain extent, at least), it wasn't premeditated. Ceative would definitely have had SOME idea of how things MAY turn out, but honestly, this was about as 'organic' as a face turn could get, and the biggest (perhaps sole) reason for that notion of organicity was Austin acting as a tweener.

The Rock is correlative here as his rise was a similar story, at around about the same time. Here is a character that was (and still is), for all intents and purposes, a douche-bag. He was a heel in a borderline racist faction, who just happened to garner extremely positive reactions from a live fan base due to scintillating microphone work. He also, whilst maintaining said heel persona, won a lot of matches clean as a whistle, thus turning 180 degrees upon your typical heel role.

These examples, as we know, paid dividends. The company foresight to hold back and let these characters develop as 'tweeners' allowed them to garner a positive reaction organically and, crucially, of their own accord. The end results provoked a far TRUER and more EMOTIONAL response from audiences because, in the end, the WWE let said audiences do the hard work for them. Certainly, the current WWE is a different place entirely. Creative control have tightened their screws to an almost iron grip (which is why CM Punk's breaking of the mold a month ago garnered such huge reactions). But I would definitely say there is still a HUGE place for 'tweeners' within the company. The trigger is just being pulled far too early these days.

·
#FunFact™
7,513 Posts
I think it's not a strong tweener but a strong heel. How many heels recently have been pushed to the top and were able to hold their own without the need of cheating? Del Rio, the moment he became a champion, he became a chicken-shit heel who avoided conflict and hid behind Ricardo. Mark Henry has been pushed strong, but it's only been three-four weeks since he won the title and he is already getting RKO'd and nearly beated by Orton in a short match on Raw and put through a table after running away from the Big Show. WWE needs a strong heel so they can have a face finally overcome the odds and win. A string Heel makes for a better face. A face that is super strong and always wins creates no excitement. A crappy heel that has to cheat to win versus a super face does nothing to increase buys. A strong heel like Brock Lesnar or Evolution HHH create excitement. That's what WWE needs.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
There is no such thing as a tweener. Its usually just a transitional phase that ends quickly. like Edge last year when he was heel, got really over and eventually turned face

Or Punk this year

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I think it's not a strong tweener but a strong heel. How many heels recently have been pushed to the top and were able to hold their own without the need of cheating? Del Rio, the moment he became a champion, he became a chicken-shit heel who avoided conflict and hid behind Ricardo. Mark Henry has been pushed strong, but it's only been three-four weeks since he won the title and he is already getting RKO'd and nearly beated by Orton in a short match on Raw and put through a table after running away from the Big Show. WWE needs a strong heel so they can have a face finally overcome the odds and win. A string Heel makes for a better face. A face that is super strong and always wins creates no excitement. A crappy heel that has to cheat to win versus a super face does nothing to increase buys. A strong heel like Brock Lesnar or Evolution HHH create excitement. That's what WWE needs.
Agreed 100%.

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
Tweeners are useless. They should never be sought after. You want clear cut heels or faces, not unconfirmed fence straddlers. The only reason anyone's status should be uncertain is if they're transitioning from one to the other.

·
Inappropriately tinkly music.
7,024 Posts
I dunno. Tweeners are a lot more trouble than they're generally worth, and the best ones are usually happy accidents. (Including Austin, who was totally booked as a heel, and then people just started enjoying that heel. That WWE noticed it and ran with it doesn't mean it was intentional. Exact same as Orton, as much as people hate to admit it.)

But aside from those happy accidents, it's a very hard line to tread. A hard formula to get right, but very easy to screw up massively.

Um. I guess my point is, you don't book tweeners, they just happen.

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
You're wrong, OP. It wasn't too long ago that Orton himself was a tweener. The batshit crazy period of time around Summerslam, where he RKOed R Truth on a table because he could? Sheamus is an example of a slow burn babyface only this year.

I also generally dislike tweeners. I always hate it when WWE try to force something that isn't right, and pushing tweeners is usually a big part of that.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You're wrong, OP. It wasn't too long ago that Orton himself was a tweener. The batshit crazy period of time around Summerslam, where he RKOed R Truth on a table because he could? Sheamus is an example of a slow burn babyface only this year.

I also generally dislike tweeners. I always hate it when WWE try to force something that isn't right, and pushing tweeners is usually a big part of that.
Orton wasn't tweener. He was being mean to a heel, that's normal face behaviour. Had he done it to Justin Gabriel on the other hand, it would have been even more awesome.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
People who are indecisive in terms of alignment never work unless they are THE top guy and even then only temporarily. Wrestling needs guys who are clearly defined faces and heels.

Now anti-heroes and anti-villians? Wrestling could definitely benefit from more of them. Anti-heroes and anti-villians aren't tweeners in that they are clearly on a side, but aren't all goody-goody or cartoonishly villianous and may even conflict with their general side.

Steve Corino in ROH is a good example of an anti-hero who isn't tweenerish and neutral in that he wants to be good and reedeam himself for his previous villiany but NONE of the faces are willing to trust him due to the monster he created in Kevin Steen. He's sympathetic with the audience, but has most of the good guys thinking he's still evil. Sting as the original head of the Main Event Mafia was a good example of an anti-villian in that he joined the villians to teach the young guys respect, but wasn't a narcassistic jackass like the other members and had his sympathetic points until he was kicked out for not being evil enough and became full on face by necessity.

God knows that if nothing else, the characters would definitely be more complex and 3-dimensional.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
CM Punk had a great interview before about a guy who wanted to book himself as a tweener.

"He said, 'Well, technically I'm a face, but I do heel things.' And I'm like 'Then what the f*ck am I doing here fighting you?'"

lolol

·
Providing For My Family
6,868 Posts
Tweeners aren't as important as faces and heels in wrestling. Faces and Heels are two very key aspects of feuds. Tweeners can be good but are not a neccessity.

·
You're better than that Cole.
3,990 Posts
The only person who basically been a long term tweener is Kane. I don't think there is a meaning a Face/Heel turn when it comes to him. He always been unpredictable with attacking Face and Heel wrestlers for absolutely no reason.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts