Wrestling Forum banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
i think u guys are really overreacting to this >:)

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
It's like Sasha Banks all over again with Asuka
It is in the sense that she is misused a bit in accordance to her full potential but different in the sense that Sasha still has a lot more it feels like she can accomplish. I feel Sasha has a lot more to gripe about because she's still young and doesn't even have the international history behind her like Asuka does. For Asuka, the list of things she "needs" to do in the WWE isn't a lot. The things she really has left to do in the pro wrestling business are basically nil. She's still doing this after 14 years because, for some reason, she still likes wrestling even today.

If you take away the dumb booking and the titles, she's had big singles matches with nearly every major woman in the company now, several of them on a big PPV stage and given quite a bit of match time in them. The things one could argue she has left that she "needs" to do I could probably count on one hand now.

I think people should be a lot more concerned about Kairi and Io than Asuka, because the company now seems to be less willing to experiment in its current down period and who knows if they will rebound enough. And Vince isn't keeling over anytime soon. Asuka was lucky in that she came up and was initially pushed during a ratings uptick in the TV programs--that afforded her some opportunities and positive cache that the WWE would not usually give when in a less successful period in the company... like now.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
I wasnt even aware of this until now, I stopped watching 3 weeks ago, let WWE fuck up their company I stopped caring. I cannot even be bothered to watch NxT anymore when I know this is the shit they will have to put up with.

Whens AEW coming again? Done with WWE.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
WWE didn't but Asuka did since she picked the name
That is the official word, and we can believe it or not. But let's for a moment assume it is true. Asuka posted a tweet, which has a VERY different definition than what people (Gaijin) are thinking of the word.

And the wiki:

Kabukimono (傾奇者 (カブキもの)) or hatamoto yakko (旗本奴) were gangs of samurai in feudal Japan. They appeared between the end of the Muromachi period (AD 1573) and the beginning of the Edo period (AD 1603), as the turbulent Sengoku period drew to a close. The term Kabukimono is often translated into English as "strange things" or "the crazy ones", believed to be derived from kabuku, meaning "to slant" or "to deviate". They were either rōnin, wandering samurai, or men who had once worked for samurai families who, during times of peace, formed street gangs. Some, however, were also a few members of more prominent clans—most notably, Oda Nobunaga and Maeda Toshiie.

Kabukimono would often dress in flamboyant clothing, combining colors such as yellow and blue, and often accessorized by wearing short kimonos with lead weights in the hem, velvet lapels, wide obi, elements of European clothing or even clothes meant for women.[1] Kabukimono also often had uncommon hairstyles and facial hair, either styled up in various fashions, or left to grow long. Their katana would often have fancy hilts, large or square tsuba, red scabbards and were usually longer than normal length. Some kabukimono even used extremely long kiseru as weapons
That sounds cooler, right? Flamboyant looking, crazy weird samurai gang type.

Asuka knows her own culture better than Americans. When Americans thinking Kabuki, they think Kabuki theatre. What Asuka and Kairi REALLY might be going for is female versions of the above definition of Kabukimono. In fact, we may just have found out what Asuka's gimmick comes from, because the above definition pretty much fits what she's been doing all this time.

·
WWE Fan Since '81
1,083 Posts
have you people seriously never heard of The Great Kabuki? First wrestler to spit the poison green mist, and one of the first (if not THE first) to wear facepaint. One of the most feared heels when I was a kid.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts
That is the official word, and we can believe it or not. But let's for a moment assume it is true. Asuka posted a tweet, which has a VERY different definition than what people (Gaijin) are thinking of the word.

And the wiki:

Asuka knows her own culture better than Americans. When Americans thinking Kabuki, they think Kabuki theatre. What Asuka and Kairi REALLY might be going for is female versions of the above definition of Kabukimono. In fact, we may just have found out what Asuka's gimmick comes from, because the above definition pretty much fits what she's been doing all this time.
Not sure why anyone wouldn't think its true when Asuka's expianation for the name fits perfectly (like you said).

·
Manic Pixie Dream Girl
4,287 Posts

And the wiki:

Yeah, despite my initial reaction, it's certainly possible that Asuka came up with that name or something similar. It makes sense that the eccentric warrior with a flair for the theatrical would identify with that.

I definitely overreacted. Apologies.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
And I'm pretty sure there's absolutely no way anyone else in the company would have pulled out some obscure "Kabukimono" to force Asuka to tweet. Even if you assume Vince came up with the "Kabuki" name, you'd have to be pretty damn good to find a wiki out there for a definition that fits exactly what Asuka's been doing all this time. Out of everyone in the WWE, only she and Kairi and Nakamura would know what that is. I'm not even sure Paige knows exactly what it is, which is why she deferred it to the girls.

I'm going to guess it's a combination of a very specific cultural reference, Kairi and Asuka's obliviousness to Americans' ideas of the word "Kabuki" and its connotations, and the WWE simply having no clue as to how to help the girls present the name better to an American audience (Adding "Warriors" isn't it) and just a general lack of communication all around. Which is typical of this company I guess.

·
Manic Pixie Dream Girl
4,287 Posts
And I'm pretty sure there's absolutely no way anyone else in the company would have pulled out some obscure "Kabukimono" to force Asuka to tweet. Even if you assume Vince came up with the "Kabuki" name, you'd have to be pretty damn good to find a wiki out there for a definition that fits exactly what Asuka's been doing all this time. Out of everyone in the WWE, only she and Kairi and Nakamura would know what that is. I'm not even sure Paige knows exactly what it is, which is why she deferred it to the girls.

I'm going to guess it's a combination of a very specific cultural reference, Kairi and Asuka's obliviousness to Americans' ideas of the word "Kabuki" and its connotations, and the WWE simply having no clue as to how to help the girls present the name better to an American audience (Adding "Warriors" isn't it) and just a general lack of communication all around. Which is typical of this company I guess.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

·
NBA
3,346 Posts
That Warriors sticks out like a sore thumb. Kabuki Gumi would've been a better name (gumi is group/gang in Japanese) but then again, that would have sounded too alien to the western audiences.

·
Manic Pixie Dream Girl
4,287 Posts
That Warriors sticks out like a sore thumb. Kabuki Gumi would've been a better name (gumi is group/gang in Japanese) but then again, that would have sounded too alien to the western audiences.
That would've been preferable. "Kabuki Warriors" sounds like the U.S. release of a 1970s chanbara flick.

·
Registered
7,599 Posts

Yep it would have been better if the name was completly in japanese.

·
An Undisputed Goddess
4,162 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with the name. It's nonillion times better than a name like The Boss and Hug Connection.

The only problem is that this name already exist as a video game.

·
TONI POR TODO!
4,544 Posts
Well they could be called the ''Anime Wrestlers'' and it wouldn't matter... They will win the Tag titles but after a month the crowd will be getting more involved with the lesbian duo Mandy and Sonya and the IIconics no matter if they're heels.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
have you people seriously never heard of The Great Kabuki? First wrestler to spit the poison green mist, and one of the first (if not THE first) to wear facepaint. One of the most feared heels when I was a kid.
I was waiting for someone to post this. Didn't some other stooge named "Kwang" spit green mist in the early 90s too?

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Well, AEW has a tag team called "Best Friends", which is without a doubt the worst tag team name in history, worse than the Ding-Dongs, but no-one's reacting because either a) it has been decided that AEW is the best promotion in the world and they can do no wrong, despite not even having put out a single show yet b) no-one cares about AEW yet

Take your pick.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts