Wrestling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There's been quite a trend on here lately I noticed where people seem to be turning on the babyface in the main event scene now. John Cena and Randy Orton aside, you now have Sheamus and CM Punk who seems to be getting quite a bit of negative comments on here. I'd like to bring attention to both these guys in particular.

Sheamus- Last year when Sheamus was still a heel, almost everyone was saying Sheamus needs to turn face. They said he would work well as a face and that he would make things fresh on Smackdown which was mainly dominated by Randy Orton. Then Sheamus does turn face and for a few months people seemed to take to Sheamus. Then once the road to wrestlmania began everyone started to turn on Sheamus. People started to say Sheamus sucks and that he's boring and one particular poster even started calling him nick names like Shame Us(can't actually remember if that was how it's spelt). Now after beating Daniel Bryan in 18 seconds at Mania, he's getting even more hate. People use any little thing to complain about him, like his cardio is off or he's stealing Daniel Bryan's catchprase. I can understand that his booking has been bad recently, he spent the weeks before Royal Rumble squashing jobbers, then pretty much did nothing until after Elimination Chamber and his fued with Bryan has been really bad. But he's still the same Sheamus he was months ago before it all happened. He even had a great match with Bryan at Extreme Rules and it still wasn't enough. I think someone should create a "Haters Gonna Hate" meme for Sheamus.

CM Punk- Last year we had the Summer of Punk. He cut that promo and all of a sudden he was shot to superstardom. For the rest of 2011 Punk was pretty much the IWC golden boy until Jericho returned. But i've noticed a lot recently that there has been quite a lot of negativity towards Punk. Of course Punk's negativity isn't as bad as Sheamus's. But there's still negativity towards him and arguably even more noticable then Sheamus's since Punk is 10x better then Sheamus and more popular on here then him. But I was in a thread recently that was talking about the babyface promo that Punk cut on John Laurnitis on Raw this week, and talking about how awful Punk was. But there was more then that, people were openly bashing Punk. There was also another thread saying his ring work has regressed. But it's just funny seeing all this, because only a few months ago Punk was a god or the best in the world on here, and if anyone had said any of this to him. You'd have about 5-10 posters flaming the guy who said it. I think the reason for the Punk hate is simply because, people don't like face Punk, they preferred him as a heel and now that he's a face it's like people percieve him as a guy who tries to hard. It might also have something to do with the fact that now that the year of Punk is over, he's starting to fizzle out and lose interest.

Anyway that basically an analysis on the two top faces in WWE currently, unless you count Orton and Cena but sure they get a lot of negativity now. Which leads me to say that no main event babyface is safe from the ever so critical IWC. I fear for the futures of Dean Ambrose and Antonio Cesoro because I reckon they'd be pretty big, especially as heels. But when they become babyfaces, who knows. They may turns out like Punk and Sheamus.

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,085 Posts
vince ruins them which is why people turn on them.

All the babyfaces are far too similar and i hate how they all get along.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
current babyfaces suck but so does the average fan and the iwc are no different. everything of old was gold.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I don't think it's fair to accuse the entire IWC of the same fickle behaviour; there are plenty of fans who support wrestlers for their entire careers, just as there are wrestling fans who flit between flavours of the month as they please. I agree that it is irritating when there is a sudden backlash against a previously beloved performer but, most of the time, I just find it funny. It cracks me up how quickly it goes from 'Underrated' to 'Overrated'. Mugs.

·
Still searching
4,391 Posts
While there generally is an IWC hatred of faces, those 2 cases are entirely justifiable.

The people calling for Sheamus to turn face wanted him to be a generally likeable character, who had a bit of a laugh while winning an appropriate amount of the time. What we now have however, is someone who smiles constantly while winning everything like just like SuperCena, who we already disapproved of.

As for Cm Punk, last year he was going through a fresh, anti-establishment tirade. Now he calls people toolboxes...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Being a face isn't a bad thing. I've liked plenty of faces in my time as a wrestling fan. But it's all about how the face is presented.

Today, Cena and Sheamus are just boring. Cena's whole act is stale, he needs to change. The reasons why people dislike him have been gone over countless times here already, so I won't go into it here.

Sheamus in my opinion simply has no direction or character. He was thrust into the spotlight with winning the Royal Rumble, his undefeated streak, and finally winning the WHC at Wrestlemania. And throughout it all I did not care about him because he had nothing to care about. No feuds, no character, no reason to cheer for him. He's just bland and boring and does nothing but win. Sound familiar? That's why I don't like him.

·
Banned
6,530 Posts
They become to cheesy.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
This attitude even happened in the early 2000s, especially with the Rock and Undertaker. The IWC always stays the same.

·
Registered
154 Posts
What about people who have NEVER liked CM Punk or Sheamus, yet everytime they say something against them, are accused of jumping on the hate bandwagon?

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Punk has been increasingly awful since his face turn. He's basically John Cena at this point, except he's even worse at it.
Sheamus has an issue of going long periods where all he does is win without actually saying/doing anything else.
Cena remains Cena, which is the problem in itself. To make matters worse, he's not as bad as Punk at this point.
Orton gets accused of being boring and/or having no mic skills.

Still, I really only dislike two of them, and I never could have turned on Cena, since I was never on his bandwagon anyway.

Faces, in general, have character issues (aka have little to no character). Kofi is the poster child for Generic Face. Ryder's a walking string of catchphrases at this point.

Even Truth hardly gets mic time since he turned face.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think it is unfair to put the blame on the iwc, the problem is that the wwe are poor at writing faces with each one falling very quickly into a repetitive smiley rut so viewers get bored, they are nearly as bad with heels with most of them becoming a whiny suitwearer but there do seem to be more exceptions to that basic template for them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sheamus sucks, and I don't really see anything spectacular about the guy. Never have. Even as a heel. So that's pretty much it for that one.

CM Punk is probably the 2nd best all-around worker on the roster right now (1st of course being Bryan Danielson). I totally understand your point here. Members of the IWC often think that if kids start cheering for a wrestler, that means he must suck. Kids have now begun to cheer for the babyface CM Punk, therefore, he must be a sell-out/overrated mainstream wrestler. That simply is not the case.

So in conclusion, don't worry about what the IWC says, or what the mainstream marks say, or anything else. Cheer for who you like, boo who you dislike. Doesn't matter if they're a heel or face, jobber, midcarder, or superstar. To each his/her own.

·
Banned
4,994 Posts
The Sheep Effect in full power right dere.

·
Premium Member
15,536 Posts
WWE needs to take the time to create/push an interesting face character. Punk has lost all steam and was better off as a heel and I'm just not into Sheamus at all, although he had a great match with DB at the PPV.

Personally, I think Kofi should get a decent push and I think Miz might be an interesting babyface. Because he's somewhat of a jobber now and is lost in the shuffle.

·
Banned
5,212 Posts
Not sure if fickle is a good word to describe, I obviously can't speak for anybody (and I honestly don't care about the majorities opinion anyway) but to me, WWE books faces and heels too comicbook, or even fairy tale like.

There's the good guys who can do no wrong no matter what they do, and when they do they're immature and cheesy as hell (Cena, Punk) and then there's the bad guys who instead of trying to be straight up assholes actually go the personality route which is hilariously retarded in its own way, but beggars can't be choosers, so you'd take the retarded heel who doesn't realize he's supposed to be the bad guy over the face because he has redeeming values as an entertainer.

Sadly, for some reason WWE thinks that it's a good idea to strip a former heel of most of his entertaining characteristics and become a superficial, toned down parody of his former self once he turns face. This is not how you made SCSA or The Rock, and this is not how it's ever going to work. Faces need to be as entertaining as possible, and heels have to be the guys that are despicable, until WWE learns that they will see a lot more failures where new turned faces lose a lot of their momentum despite initially starting out hot.

·
Ted the Moth
12,865 Posts
Yeah, this is a thread I'm looking forward to tracking this thread because I never did understand the IWC hate affair for main event babyfaces. Cena, Punk and Sheamus are three of my favourite guys going today. In fact, it was a main event babyface in Edge last year that got me tuning into WWE regularly for the first time in yonkers.

I suppose I understand some aspects of all four men's babyface characters that could get tedious to some. But nowhere near enough to warrant the amount of flat out hate they've received, especially for Punk.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
What annoys me is that people fail to realise it's not the fault of the wrestlers themselves, it's all in the booking.

·
WWWYKI
870 Posts
IWC always turns on wrestlers after a few months. I personally still like Punk and think he has a roll. I think Sheamus is good as well, but his booking with the Daniel Bryan feud was really poor so he suffered from it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.