Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been heavily bingeing Royal Rumble matches over the past couple of weeks. Watched the 1988, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2008, 2013, 2017 and Greatest Royal Rumble this morning, since WWE are including it in their "By The Numbers" videos. It got me thinking about what has become a staple of Rumble matches over the last decade or so at least- the Ironman Stint. Where a particular wrestler lasts a long time in the Royal Rumble, either to gain a record, advance a story, or in some cases, to be the glue that holds the whole match together.

Rey Mysterio held the Rumble record for his 2006 victory for many years- lasting 62:12. Daniel Bryan broke it in 2018 at the 50 man Greatest Royal Rumble, clocking in at 1:16:06. Other notable ones over the years include Chris Benoit's 2004 performance (61:30), Ric Flair winning the 1992 Rumble and the WWF Championship (59:26) and Finn Balor being his great workhorse self in 2018 (57:38).

What are the most impressive Ironman stints over the years to you? Doesn't have to be a record setter, just any, say, 20+ minute performance that really impressed you. It's important to remember that not all Ironman Stints are created equal. Chris Jericho has been a consistent Ironman over the years, and while he put in a damn good shift in the 2013 Rumble, starting at #2 and getting through the majority of the match, his 2017 run was a little cheap... TECHNICALLY he lasted 60:13, but he spent at least half of that just lying on the floor outside the ring.

My vote, and it might be recency bias, but it's the reason I was prompted to start this thread, Daniel Bryan's Greatest Royal Rumble performance. I think GRR is an event that many of us have blocked out of our heads, because the Saudi shows have mostly sucked, and most of the 50 man field in this match was filled by the heroes of WWE Main Event or NXT developmental, but Bryan put in an amazing performance during this. He had recently returned to the ring after years away, and he seemed to relish getting in there and kicking ass. Unlike the Jericho 2017 run (or when Roman lasted a lifetime), Bryan was active in the match for about 95% of it, only taking a short breather around the #40 mark. From the beginning with Dolph Ziggler, to a short "dream match" sequence with Kurt Angle, to tangling with Braun Strowman and Kevin Owens near the Rumble's end, it was an amazing Rumble performance that unfortunately doesn't get the attention it perhaps deserves 'cause Saudi Arabia. I mean, look at the war wounds here on Bryan:

Goddamn.

So yeah, who/what are your favourite Rumble Ironman performances? And who do you see being the one to hold that distinction this year?

·
Still training, saying my prayers, eating my vitam
4,199 Posts
It certainly wasn't ironman level but the fact that Beth Phoenix didn't immediately call an audible and leave after getting her head bashed against the post and stayed in the Rumble almost until the end with her head gushing blood was hugely impressive. Particularly because she's been retired for years.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
100%. It's a shame it turned out to essentially be for the Santina spot, but Phoenix deserves to be commended for that effort. Considering wrestlers have quit/went straight to the finish after suffering much less (think Sin Cara and his dislocated finger), the Glamazon was gutsy at the Rumble.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts