Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
What about it? Either Ryback won and remained undefeated for a bit longer so that rock beats him or punk won giving ryback his first loss to gain some more credibility to his reign so he can be a threat to Rock.

Punk was the safer bet as he already started a feud with rock and the mic wars would have been a lot better.

Ryback was the second best option at the time as he had the look of a guy who can beat Rock and with him being undefeated the match would have had an extra stake at hand.

Both options were good for different reasons , punk really needed a big win to get credibility .

If Ryback won he would have surely made it to the next level and become permanent main eventer having been one of the only two guys that rock feuded for his return run.

·
rasslin
5,621 Posts
Example of wwe booking themselves into a corner to pop a ppv buy.

Ryback was decently over and was having a good undefeated streak. While Punk was building a modern day record for himself as WWE champion.

Punk should’ve never lost the title to Rock. Punk could’ve lost by DQ or count out or whatever but Rock and Cena 2 had no need for a title (debatable if the match even needed to happen again)

Punk defending his title vs Undertaker at WM would’ve been a fantastic main event that would’ve been memorable for a long time. Instead Rock and Cena has a decent match with an obvious winner and Cena went on to have yet another forgettable title run.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I still believe they should have put Ryback over at HIAC. Think of the future, not the past. Punk could have won it back at Survivor Series via The Shield's debut + defeated Ryback in the ladder match on Raw once more with The Shield's help (as he did anyway.) That way Punk still has the title for his feud with The Rock, Ryback gets a big bump credibility wise from ending Punk's reign, and they protect him in both his losses to Punk by having him avoid the pinfall.

·
Registered
13,306 Posts

Ryback was decently over and was having a good undefeated streak. While Punk was building a modern day record for himself as WWE champion.

Punk should’ve never lost the title to Rock. Punk could’ve lost by DQ or count out or whatever but Rock and Cena 2 had no need for a title (debatable if the match even needed to happen again)

Punk defending his title vs Undertaker at WM would’ve been a fantastic main event that would’ve been memorable for a long time. Instead Rock and Cena has a decent match with an obvious winner and Cena went on to have yet another forgettable title run.
It did not.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I never really understood why some people wanted Ryback to win here. This was definitely not the time nor the person for Punk to drop the belt to.

I think even a great wrestling mind like Chris Jericho said Ryback should have won which I heavily disagree with.

As much as people hate The Rock for dethroning Punk, I can't think of a better person for Punk to have lost it to. Plus their 2 matches were pretty good unlike Oldberg's old ass coming in and lazily squashing Owens and Bray.

·
Premium Member
12,201 Posts
My personal view of Ryback has changed since then, however, I still believe that he should've captured the title and then dropped it back to Punk either at Survivor Series or another date. He had so much momentum going into that match, it would've legitimised in the eyes of the fans to take the title and then be screwed out of it later.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
4,775 Posts
That's right. Desperation crept in when Cena was injured, and because of the impossibly idiotic themed PPV format, WWE decided they had to stick to the stipulation. Even in 2012, people knew this was a mistake.

All the energy put into Ryback was destroyed in one match, and that was the end of that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

So, that's a Part 2 of Ryback and Vince beating up Punk mentally and physically. -
I really do not understand why you put your biggest star in a match with such a lax wrestler! Why didn't they put Roman Reigns agains Ryback in a no holds barred match with viagara on a pole?)) This would be as stupid as letting a wrestler with spinal infection battle 291 lb monster.
CM Punk deserved way better than this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Punk won dirty what of it? Crooked referee and all.
He hurt Punk bad. Ryback was unsafe to work with back in the day. Vince knew it, so he decided to put the megastar Phil Brooks, a WWE champion, a man that was scheduled to fued with The Rock with a midcard guy, who was potentially dangerous to work with. And one year later he once again puts him against Ryback at Hell in a Cell 2013. Soon after Punk quits.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I actually watched this last week. I remember Ryback was over as fuck then. That's what people want to see: A big dude just kill some jobbers in squash matches instead of long boring Seth Rollins or Daniel Bryan channel changing snoozefests.

Ryback was only in that match because Cena was injured but the push was way to soon.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
Punk should've beaten Ryback and continued on to the Rumble and beaten The Rock.

Punk keeps the title going into Mania and faces Cena and Rock in a Triple Threat for the championship.

Make it an elimination triple threat and have Rock and Cena work together to eliminate Punk and then have their "rematch" this time for the championship.

You'd have Punk with a 500+ day reign, a win over The Rock 1v1 along with the many 1v1 wins over Cena, and a Wrestlemania Main Event appearance.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Rock/Punk with Rock winning was a good decision.. It’s actually an iconic way to end Punk’s historic record-breaking title run by having one of the goat(s) in the history of pro-wrestling (and the biggest star on the planet in 2013) regaining the title after 10 years.. it has that poetic feel written all over it, a Hamlet-like plot where the hero returns and reclaims his land from the tyranny after years of disappearance

The problem, imo, was the venue.. Rock winning the title and Cena winning the RR at the same night made an already obvious main event, even more obvious

I wish they had Rock/Punk as the main event of 29, and saved Rock/Cena II for 30 .. it would’ve been less obvious and actually freshens it up more after the year long build up they had for 28. And as a bonus you could’ve had Cena/Taker at 29 when Cena was still the top guy and Taker still had match in him, instead of that squash the had at 34. Cena losing a chance at the streak adds stock to his “redemption” quest when he finally gets the rematch with Rock

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
@ByOrderOfThePB
This right here.

Any scenario, any period of time, doesn't matter..I stand by the fact that Punk should have main evented Mania that year with The Rock. Adding Cena is fine, whatever and obviously they wanted Rock to walk in with the belt but again, however that could have been booked should have put Punk in that main event that year. He deserved it, from 2011-2014 Punk was what kept me watching. His heel run with Heyman will always be one of my favorite runs in history. Perfect villains. Realistically, the storyline was great and The Rock coming back was awesome but it didn't end how it should have ended. Huge mistake in my opinion.

Btw PB, you're one of my favorite posters, good shit. Pal.

·
Registered
415 Posts
@ByOrderOfThePB
This right here.

Any scenario, any period of time, doesn't matter..I stand by the fact that Punk should have main evented Mania that year with The Rock. Adding Cena is fine, whatever and obviously they wanted Rock to walk in with the belt but again, however that could have been booked should have put Punk in that main event that year. He deserved it, from 2011-2014 Punk was what kept me watching. His heel run with Heyman will always be one of my favorite runs in history. Perfect villains. Realistically, the storyline was great and The Rock coming back was awesome but it didn't end how it should have ended. Huge mistake in my opinion.

Btw PB, you're one of my favorite posters, good shit. Pal.
Haha it’s my pleasure man, thanks for giving me a cheer

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
This was the beginning of the end for Ryback.

Why they didn’t just replace Cena with Orton and just have Del Rio cost Orton the match (since they were feuding at that time) is beyond me.

Brand Split was dead at that point and it’s not like they were rewarding Orton for violating the wellness policy since he was going to lose anyway.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,483 Posts
It simply wasn't Ryback's time to win. Punk was in the middle of a long title reign, and The Rock was the right call to end it. The problem is that WWE lost interest in Ryback soon after. If they continued to build him up after he might have won it eventually at a future time but they stopped it completely. It was just never meant to be I guess.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I actually watched this last week. I remember Ryback was over as fuck then. That's what people want to see: A big dude just kill some jobbers in squash matches instead of long boring Seth Rollins or Daniel Bryan channel changing snoozefests.

Ryback was only in that match because Cena was injured but the push was way to soon.
I wish there was a word stronger than "wrong" to reply to this back alley, drunken, vomit fest of a post. I really do.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts