Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ok, so I've just been looking back on some WWE footage and came across the whole 'In Your House' PPV where they had the huge power outage after the first two matches, Stone Cold was about to go up against Savio Vega in the strap match and they had a huge power outage.

From what I can gather this event was rescheduled and the first two matches that were on the PPV before the power outage was added to the video release of the PPV, with the rest of the PPV filmed from the second show put together, is that right?

Also, in regards to all the people who bought the PPV at home and the fans in the arena, did they get refunds or something, how did WWE deal with this in regards to the fans?

Obviously it was out of people's control due to the weather, and ever since then WWE have always had back up power generators in case this happened again, but what happened here in regards to the fans at the show and the fans who bought the PPV at home in the US and everywhere else in the world that may have purchased it?​

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
From what I remember, all PPV buyers got the second night free after the power outage. I believe this was shown on like a Tuesday or Wednesday night. Certainly a unique situation.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the Austin/Vega program. I thought Savio was underrated as a character. Even that feud was fairly well built for a mid-card feud. I recall Razor Ramon and Savio Vega were a tag team for the title tournament and with Razor injured, Austin took over as Vega's partner and walked out on him.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I remember, all PPV buyers got the second night free after the power outage. I believe this was shown on like a Tuesday or Wednesday night. Certainly a unique situation.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed the Austin/Vega program. I thought Savio was underrated as a character. Even that feud was fairly well built for a mid-card feud. I recall Razor Ramon and Savio Vega were a tag team for the title tournament and with Razor injured, Austin took over as Vega's partner and walked out on him.
I was thinking did they possibly do that but did people have the option too for a refund or to watch it the second night for free? I imagine that not everyone was able to watch it the following night so could have been upset about it still? Also, I'm guessing this was the same for international viewers also.

Yeah, it definitely was a unique situation :)

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
Austin/Vega had a really great match on the second night they did the show. Shawn was pissy because his match with Davey was pretty shitty the first night but they made up for that at KOTR. Interesting how this was a one off thing and its never happened to them again 18 years after it first happened.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
June 3rd 1996 Wrestling Observer Newsletter

A power outage at the Florence, SC Civic Center led to the strangest PPV show in history on both 5/26 and 5/28.

After a tag team title switch where the Smoking Gunns won the WWF tag titles from the Godwinns, and a Marc Mero victory over Hunter Hearst Helmsley, power went off in the building for more than one hour (apparently due to a major electrical storm although some think it was a divine reaction to the gall of those Warrior commercials where he implores people to follow his lead, never take shortcuts and always do the right thing). Viewers Choice viewers were told that power was off in the building while Request viewers were simply told to stand by. After about 25 minutes of blank screen, a clip aired of Vince McMahon and Jerry Lawler imploring viewers to stay tuned and they would attempt to bring them the Undertaker-Goldust and Michaels-Smith matches. McMahon announced that matches were taking place in the building and that they would air them during the 5/28 replay showing. It was only due to Memorial Day weekend that WWF even had a Tuesday night showing for the In Your House show, as they figured the initial buy rate would be down because people were out of town, but that many of them could be hooked into buying a replay a few days later. However, by the time power was restored in the building, only about 25 minutes were left in the show. They only had the Michaels-Smith match, which was a major disappointment and ended the show on a very sour note. There were a lot of people surprised they didn't do a Michaels-Smith rematch on the replay show after the weak match the two put on first time out.

While the PPV broadcast was shut down, they presented the scheduled matches in the arena with battery operated cameras, a low power generator making the matches barely visible to spectators, and none of the ring introductions. The footage was nowhere close to broadcast quality, so the decision was made to air the three missing matches live from North Charleston, SC during the replay show. As it was, two of the three matches on the replay were said to be much better than they originally were in Florence, which from our reports spelled the difference between a bad show and a good show.

Of the three remaining matches, some changes were thrown in on the second airing.

Savio Vega vs. Steve Austin was made into a match where if Austin lost, as he did, Ted DiBiase would leave the WWF. That was due to DiBiase giving notice a few days earlier to WWF that he would be leaving for WCW when his contract expired (believed to be in August), accepting a three year deal with figures reportedly being $225,000, $250,000 and $275,000 over the three years to work as both an announcer and a manager. DiBiase, 42, has a Lloyd's of London disability deal that is about to pay a major lump sum after a career ending neck injury, but it is believed after the deal he won't return to the ring, but will at least be able to take bumps once again in a managerial role, something he couldn't do in WWF. WWF decided instead of building up DiBiase's eventual leaving, they would write him out of storylines immediately. The Vader vs. Yokozuna match ended with a different finish, as Yokozuna won in Florence but Vader won in Charleston. Goldust beat Undertaker to keep the IC title in casket matches each night, but the first match had a weak finish were six heels interfered, while the second finish was the planned PPV finish with Mankind coming out of the casket and causing the loss. Vega-Austin was said to have been equally excellent both times out while the latter two were terrible the first time and a lot better the second time.

After a poor advance and a terrible storm, business turned out okay in Florence although it was nowhere close to the capacity crowd McMahon claimed it was on television. There were about 6,000 fans in the building set up for 9,400, with 4,796 paid and a $63,435 gate.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
This was the Beware of Dog, right?
Yes sir, they have Beware of Dog and Beware of Dog: 2. I don't think we'll ever see anything like this again.

I'm not the biggest HBK fan but they really undercut his reign by having a that BS finish on only his second pay-per-view as champion. Michaels and Davey Boy always put on good matches, though.

·
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm still kinda interested to know if people did have the option or just the free viewing after, and also the fans in the arena too, as I don't imagine they sold a load of new tickets again, must have been mad for them cause they'd have needed the arena free and the lot.

·
Banned
473 Posts
And then Savio beated Austin as "Carribean Kid".

A big program that was really important for Austin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts