Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WWE seems to tie more knots than a boy-scout. Since 1984, there have been over a dozen weddings on WWE television, including...

1) Paul "The Butcher" Vachon's - On Tuesday Night Titans in 1984, perhaps the very first instance of a wrestling wedding where the reception afterwards saw a massive food fight where David Schultz pie-faced Vince McMahon.

2) Uncle Elmer and Joyce - On Saturday Night's Main Event in 1985 where Jesse Ventura heckled the hell out of the hillbillies and Roddy Piper interfered only to be run off by Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant. Also, allegedly, this was a legit wedding that Vince McMahon decided to put on NBC to expose the world to what sports entertainment could do. Highlights included some fan in the audience throwing something at Joyce in the ring and Jesse Ventura getting a face full of cake at the reception.

3) Randy Savage and Elizabeth - At SummerSlam 1991, where people actually paid money to watch on pay-per-view these two get married. Probably the most charming thing the WWE has put together and apparently Elizabeth considered it to be a renewal of the real vows she and Randy had exchanged back in 1984. Also the only wrestling wedding not to end in calamity, unless you count the reception afterwards where Jake Roberts and the Undertaker crashed the party with a live cobra.

4) The Undertaker and Stephanie McMahon - On RAW is WAR after In Your House: Backlash in April 1999, where it was Steve Austin of all people coming to the aid of Mr. McMahon's daughter. Of course, it was just a set-up by Mr. McMahon to lure Austin into a false sense of security around him and he soon revealed himself to be the Undertaker's "Higher Power."

5) Test and Stephanie McMahon - On RAW is WAR in late 1999, solidifying Triple H as the biggest asshole in WWE history as he disrupts the wedding with footage in Las Vegas of him marrying a drugged Stephanie at a drive-thru chapel. Turns out, Stephanie later would go along with it as a way to get back at her dad for staging the aforementioned wedding to the Undertaker.

6) Triple H and Stephanie McMahon's Renewal - Steph certainly got use out of that wedding dress as she planned to renew her vows to Triple H in a "real" wedding on RAW in 2002 after she had lied to him about being pregnant. Naturally, Triple H found out, wanted a divorce, and pedigreed Mr. McMahon through the wedding chapel.

7) Billy and Chuck - The first gay wedding in WWE history which actually gained a bit of mainstream publicity took place on SmackDown! in 2003. I feel it would have been way more gutsy for WWE to actually marry the two characters rather than just call it all off, but, the segment was sort of saved by Eric Bischoff, in a Scooby-Doo-moment, posing as the minister, calling in Three Minute Warning to attack Billy, Chuck, and Stephanie McMahon, now serving as general manager of SmackDown.

8) Al Wilson and Dawn Marie - Not the first wedding on SmackDown! in 2003, but, certainly the first naked wedding where both the bride and groom disrobed as far as they could on network television, only for Al to suffer a massive heart attack on the honeymoon. Yeesh. Possibly one of the worst things WWE ever did.

9) Kane and Lita - On RAW in 2004, much like Stephanie and Triple H years earlier, Lita was opposed to the idea at first, but, soon grew to love Kane. Of course, this union only took place because Kane won a match against Matt Hardy. Talk about a shotgun wedding. Lita would get preggers with Kane's baby, until a debuting Snitsky would cause her to have a miscarriage. Never forget, it wasn't his fault!

10) Lita and Edge - Once Lita and Edge's affair became public knowledge thanks to Matt Hardy's blabber-blog, Hardy was fired from WWE and the heat for these two was tremendous...especially when they faked a Matt Hardy run-in by having his music play when asked "Does anyone object to this union?" The highlight came, however, when Kane's head tore through the mat and he ran off Edge and Lita, only to tombstone the minister, causing Jim Ross to exclaim "KANE JUST TOMBSTONED THE PRIEST!!" From Monday Night RAW in 2005.

11) Krystal and Teddy Long - On Friday Night SmackDown! in 2007, this abomination of a wedding unleashed the horror of Vickie Guerrero as general manager on the WWE. May God have mercy.

12) Edge and Vickie Guerrero - Disrupted by Triple H (of all people, for some reason) when he produced footage of Edge making out with the wedding planner, Alicia Fox, the day earlier on Friday Night SmackDown! in 2008. Triple H sure loves to ruin these damn things, doesn't he?

The question is, do you find it entertaining when the WWE pulls out the wedding gimmick from its bag of tricks, and what has been your favourite wrestling wedding to date and why that choice; humour; dramatic; whathaveyou?

·
Registered
249 Posts
On the WCW side, two weddings I know of were:

Col. Robert Parker and Sister Sherri (Clash of the Champions, 1996): It too happened at that famous drive-thru wedding chapel and things sort of were going as planned...until Madusa put that to an end. Weeks earlier on Nitro, it was Madusa who put her WWF Women's Championship belt in the trash and proved a point saying WCW was "where the big girls play."

Stacy Keibler and David Flair (Monday Nitro, 2000): Take One: Ric Flair came to the ring to witness it, but just as the nuptials were about to be underway, Charlotte's Finest come walking down the aisle to crash the party. It appeared that Vince Russo had put out a restraining order against Flair and he'd be arrested if he came within 100 feet from the building. Ric was handcuffed and the wedding had to wait till later in the show.

Take Two: Stacy dropped a Maury Povich-style bombshell to Flair: She is pregnant...but David is not the father!

Back to WWE: Triple H and Stephanie McMahon were truly made for each other outside of the ring as well, and the two would marry in real life sometime in 2003.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I find them incredibly tedious and predictable. The very definition of the kind of soap opera bullshit wrestling does not need. Storylines yes, weddings no.

·
Banned
117 Posts
I think TNA has had some weddings too. I recall Styles marrying Karen Angle by accident in 2008.

What do you guys think is the best wedding run-in? Mine would be Hunter interrupting Test and Stephanie.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think TNA has had some weddings too. I recall Styles marrying Karen Angle by accident in 2008.

What do you guys think is the best wedding run-in? Mine would be Hunter interrupting Test and Stephanie.
Agreed.
I loved it.

I don't always think weddings are good but some are very entertaining.
I did not like the wedding with Edge and Lita the whole thing was horrible. Trish Stratus was funny tho.

·
Banned
7,852 Posts
Trish at Kane and Lita's wedding was hilarious.

I even wore white cuz I know knew you couldn't. :p

I hope you and erm.. Kane have a great life together... Just open your heart... Like you opened your legs!!

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
I love wedding storylines.

although, I don't know if I would consider Edge and Vickie a true wrestling wedding. From what I recall nothing happened on the air, they got married "earlier that day" with Triple H interrupting part was the only thing on the actual show.

·
StarStruck
2,038 Posts
HHH/Steph Take one and Lita/Kane have to be my favourite weddings. I loved the Kane/Lita storyline at the time, I wouldn't miss RAW because at the time you see i loved the Kane/Lita interactions and always looked forward to seeing them interact and to see the storyline further.
Trish was quite funny at the Kane/Lita wedding aswell.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Loved Steph- Test when HHH announced he had married her at a drive through wedding chapel.

Only problem was, as if any wedding chapel would marry them if the wife was passed out.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
The entire Kane-Lita storyline was one massive LOL. Me and my friends spoke about it at the time saying how uch of a bullshit storyline it was, wrestlecrap I think the term is. Although i've got to admit it' still prety entertating.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Personally, I hate WWE weddings, because I know they're scripted, and weddings seem a bit too serious and sweet an occasion for that, y'know?

Or it could be because the only ones I remember seeing were the Kristal/Teddy and Vickie/Edge ones. Triple H sure was funny during the Vickie/Edge segment, though.

And I want an Alicia/Edge reunion! They're both on Raw, so make it happen, WWE! :D

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
I love these wedding segments because you know some shit is about to go down.
Same lol. I love it though. Trips drugging Steph and marrying her, then coming out to ruin the wedding to Test was just gold. And it ushered in the McMahon Helmsley Era which was my favourite time frame of being a wrestling fan. Their vows renewal was pretty funny too because we all knew that HHH knew and it was just a train wreck for Vince and Steph because they didn't. Great stuff lol.

Oh, and Kane coming through the mat during Edge/Lita was just :lmao

·
P.O.P., hold it down
22,552 Posts
The Krystal/Teddy was weird. JBL made it hilarious though.

Like when The Godfather called for everyone to get on the Ho Train he was sprinting to the front.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts