Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm gonna be doing these discussion threads from time to time to get everyone's thoughts on PPVs from the past. I am going to focus on WWE & WCW PPVs (and before them NWA) from the very beginning and work my way forward through history.

This first discussion thread is for the first major PPV in history... NWA Starrcade 1983.

Here is the match card...

The Assassins def. Rufus R Jones & Bugsy McGraw
Kevin Sullivan & Mark Lewin def. Scott McGhee & Johnny Weaver
Abdullah The Butcher def. Carlos Colon
Bob Orton Jr & Dick Slater def. Mark Youngblood & Wahoo McDaniel
Charlie Brown def. The Great Kabuki (Title vs Mask Match)(NWA Television Championship)
Roddy Piper def. Greg Valentine (Dog Collar Match)
Ricky Steamboat & Jay Youngblood def. Jack & Jerry Brisco (NWA World Tag Team Championship)
Ric Flair def. Harley Race (Steel Cage Match)(NWA World Heavyweight Championship)
What are your thoughts on this historic PPV?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Was a great show with the top 3 matches of Roddy Piper def. Greg Valentine (Dog Collar Match),
Ricky Steamboat & Jay Youngblood def. Jack & Jerry Brisco (NWA World Tag Team Championship),
Ric Flair def. Harley Race (Steel Cage Match)(NWA World Heavyweight Championship) being excelllent. Memorable show that started the concept that we know today as monthly wrestling ppv's.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Such an epic moment in Flair/Race. Legendary PPV that started successful franchise.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Piper Valentine was simply immense, absolutely brutal ontne eye, both where awesome, Starrcade was a concept that worked and inadvertedly helped Vince McMahon come up with the idea of WrestleMania

·
Anti-Hero
9,798 Posts
I even enjoy some of the undercard matches.

The Butcher vs Colon, any match with Bob Orton and Wahoo is gonna be decent and I used to love the Great Kabuki. This show had something for everyone and as others have already posted, the last three matches were excellent.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am currently attempting to watch every PPV produced by the NWA/WCW/WWE in date order. I began with this classic show and am making my way through the years steadily. I thoroughly enjoyed this show and like you said, it did inspire the idea of Wrestlemania (which would follow 2 years later).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Everybody remembers the cage match fondly, but I read somewhere that Race really doesn't care for it. I think his gripe was that Gene Kinisky kept getting in the way and they weren't able to do some things the way they wanted. I haven't watched since hearing that, but most fans who don't know "what might have been" seem to really like it.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
I enjoyed Flair/Race. Race doesn't get enough love in today's wrestling atmosphere.

Plus, would you consider Piper a WWF guy? Seeing him in NWA events and even during the 90s in WCW was weird since I always would figure he is a WWF guy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I thought Piper vs. Valentine, and Steamboat & Youngblood vs. The Briscos were good matches. I loved the presentation of Race vs. Flair and how all the backstage segments and even face/heel brawls in earlier matches built up to the main event, though i felt that the match itself was dull, if significant.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I do not care if this thread has not been touched in 3 years I want to say two things, one is technical and that 1983 was not actually a PPV it was a closed circuit, the first PPV was the wrestling classic deal Vince JR set up.
the second point is that this big show is the best big show in existence that we can go back and watch, just look at the name recognition, flair, race, steamboat, piper, valentine, the briscos, the great Kabuki, bob orton jr, Abdullah, carlos colon, wahoo McDaniel, the assassins, kevin Sullivan. certainly has the best in terms of talent, it had the best commentary team of Bob Caudle and Gordon Solie, the best match in existence in my opinion of Ric vs Harley and the person who said it was boring has been brain washed by the LSD wrestling we see today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts