Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously. Where did they find this guy. He doesn't seem to know anything about wrestling at all. I was watching Superstars on youtube and this guy was on there commentating. It was a divas match, so I was only half paying attention. Till I hear this guy say "What a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker!" or something like that. I figure, if divas are pulling out slick moves like that now, I want to see it. So rewind. Guess what I find? It wasn't a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker. No tilt-a-whirling or backbreaking at all. It was a damn northern lights suplex. :eek: Then he called a power slam a "body-to-body flip." :no:

I get it: commentators make mistakes. But how do you mistake a suplex for a backbreaker? Or not know what a powerslam is? Even kids know what those are. It's like he never watched wrestling a da in his life. I watched the rest of the match and, not only does he add nothing to commentary-wise, but he's also bland as hell. He makes Todd Grisham sound like CM Punk. Sounds like a gameshow host.

But I have to admit, I couldn't help but be entertained by how horrible he was. So can you tell me what's the deal with this guy? Is he just a fill-in? Or will we be seeing more of him?

I hope he sticks around.

·
Ichi Bakayaro
9,086 Posts
Never heard his commentary before, didn't even know who he was when he came out to call Superstars at Raw on Monday. Guessing he's the new Adamle? Or is he not even funny?

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
He used to do the promos for the tours, the last one I remember was the Australia tour where he announced all the upcoming dates. As for the botch, it was one botch, he's been pretty good on Superstars apart from that and does a decent job of getting King involved on commentary which is nigh-on impossible these days (editing may help of course)

So yeah, I like him and I won't jump down his throat because of one fuck up when we've previoulsy had the likes of Vince 'What A Maneuver' MacMahon, Michael 'I Call Almost Every Move A Throw' Cole and Mike 'WTF' Adamle.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
He is in the funny Mike Adamle mould .. His delivery is so bland, it makes for a good laugh .. Looks like he's really just thrown there with The King because Cole is busy writing lines to diss the divas on NXT and has enough work on Raw and SD already ..

·
Registered
799 Posts
I actually really like him.. he suits superstars really due to his real american accent and, a different style of commentating. so not a bad choice

·
Banned
7,852 Posts
Well apart from a few blunders with the name of some moves he's alright, like he called a suplex from Alicia Fox a tilt a whirl backbreaker, he hosts Bottom Line, but hey at least they're giving someone else a chance at impressing behind the booth, I'd still prefer Josh Mathews though, Scott Stanford kinda sounds old school.

·
Proud Pastafarian =)
4,051 Posts
Didn't even know he worked for the WWE until a few months back

He was a sports anchor on UPN/My Network TV out here in NY

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
call me crazy but when I first heard him on superstars I thought it was Scott Hudson :D

but when I saw his name then I knew him from sports here in NYC, he once did a piece with Johnny Rodz where he trained to be a wrestler

·
Registered
189 Posts
I still prefer him to Striker, Matthews, Cole and Grisham.

this. and i like all his refrences to old school matches that he watched. at least gives the impression that he is a fan and not just getting a paycheck.

im a coleminer but i still dont like these 4. they seem to generic and uninteresting. i think thats what is hindering lawlers performance to, he seems to interact with scott alot better then cole.

writting this i wanted to make a point about having older guys call the matches since they are more seasoned, but then i rememberd joey styles in the old ECW, he was so over the top it was awsome, and by himself! even PPV he called it solo. IMO very underrated.

this just makes me miss monsoon and heenan. listening to them two go back and forth was gold.

·
8,232 Posts
I like the guy a lot. One of the best play by play guys in the company. Doesn't insult the intelligence of the audience either.

·
Registered
813 Posts
He's learning, for sure, but I think he's doing a pretty great job to start out. Someone already mentioned it, but he's somehow managed to engage Jerry Lawler in commentary, which if you've heard the rest of the announcers try, seems damn near impossible.

·
Bowing down to the BEAST INCARNATE
4,564 Posts
I think it's the New England accent that does it for King.

I dig the guy but, I'd honestly replace with Todd Pettengill if I could... this guys needs to pop back up into wrestling. He was the best kayfabe-seller back in the new generation era, and seeing as how WWE are bringing kayfabe back, they need TP!

On a side-note, Scott Stanford does rank higher than the likes of Tony Schiavone on the play-by-play list of commentators.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts