Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So at the moment, I can see a massive division between WWE fans on the internet. One half are - and I'll call them this for the sake of this opening post only - 'regular fans' and the other half are what these regular fans have come to deem trolls.

There is a huge dichotomy in support for guys like Daniel Bryan and CM Punk in comparison to what there seemed to be 12 months ago when they weren't so much the hot topics that they are now. All of a sudden, I am seeing people criticise CM Punk for walking out on 'the stupid fans who cheer for him anyway' when I think it is pretty clear that Punk didn't think 'fuck these fans, I'm going home' (having thanked them for their support on Twitter and all, I doubt he's done it thinking that he doesn't care about the fans). I'm seeing people say that some need to stop moaning about the hottest talent in WWE right now not getting his Benoit/Eddie moment at Wrestlemania XXX, whilst a mediocre wrestler who can't wrestle a 5 minute match without blowing up wins the Rumble to set up a sure-fire anti-climatic Wrestlemania main event. I'm seeing people say that the fans in attendance who chant for ridiculous things out of boredom or people who chant for CM Punk at the shows are idiots and might as well not buy a ticket.

This doesn't make any sense to me. The atmosphere is a massive part of a wrestling show. Would you rather fans chant for one of their favourite guys in hopes that one day he might return or for this all to be a big work, or would you rather fans sit there and watch a match play out to dead silence? Would you rather Daniel Bryan never gets that sink or swim moment where he gets a fair run with the title after months of being built up for that very moment?

Fans will be pay hundreds of dollars for a ticket: surely they can cheer for whoever and whatever they want? I for one love being a part of vocal crowds. It baffles me as to why people would pay money for a ticket and sit there in utter silence all night. At least try to have a good time, right?

I just want to know what you guys all think about this - what are each of you guys' views? Which side of the fence are you on? What is the big deal with fans chanting whatever they like, especially as it's not like they are shitting on quality matches, because they're giving credit when credit is due? Case in point being Wyatts/Shield. So yeah guys, what are your thoughts?

·
Ted the Moth
12,866 Posts
Re: The hate for WWE fans right now...

That was a confusing OP.

Anyway, it's a tricky line to walk. When it's a novelty occurrence (like post-WM Jersey chanting random things at segments that were, quite frankly, lazy) then it's fun to see once in a while. The latest occurences have literally been case-by-case things. eg the Daniel Bryan chants are good for the show because they speak for what the emphatic majority want to see, and it actually plays into the 'underdog' storyline that Bryan has going on right now.

But then the other stuff is just obnoxious, and I don't see why it happens a lot of the time. Like, people will flip on something at a second's notice these days and I just don't get it.

·
How you doing?
4,958 Posts

The thing is, there are many kind of fans, you have your casual fans, they just enjoy everything, chant the faces, boo the heels, take everything the product throws at them, than you have the fans who are between casual and hardcore, they love the product and know allot about WWE, but keep booing the heels and cheering the faces and occasionally go along with the hardcore fans. Than you have your hardcore fans, they want to see old glory days return and will hate it if it pretty much doesn't go their way and will let the WWE know!

At the moment it seems that the fans floating in the middle are more biased towards the hardcore fans, because they are also not liking how things are going. and you can't blame them.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts

After working in a supermarket for 6 years I learned that a lot of people are just unhappy with everything.

It just so happens that a lot of these people are wrestling fans I guess.

I bet a lot of the people saying CM Punk is a bitch for quitting were rooting him on 3 years ago when he almost did the same thing.

·
I AM SO KAFKAESQUE
1,782 Posts

The issue is that the WWE has an audience that likes the 'indy darlings' such as Cesaro, Danielson, Punk, and another audience that's perfectly content with the Big E. and Sheamus' of the world. The 'indy darling' crowd is becoming more consistently prevalent in the PPV/Raw audiences, it's a growing audience as the WWE becomes a more 'internet savvy' promotion, and it's a group that's becoming more vocal. Fans go to the show to be entertained, and if they don't find the in-ring action entertaining, they'll make their own entertainment. With a changing audience, the product that fans want to see is also changing.

If you're one of those people who thinks Cesaro/Ambrose/Ziggler are underpushed and that Cena/Orton/Batista are played out and stale, you'll appreciate where the audiences are coming from. If you still like the good 'ole Ruthless Aggression/Sports Entertainment stuff, you're probably falling out of your wheelchair and over your oxygen tank upset that 'those damn smarks are ruinin' muh Titus O'Neil push!'

·
Registered
1,170 Posts

Peronsally I will always take a crowd making noise over a quiet crowd, even if the noisy crowd is chanting irrelevant stuff or is actively trying to bury a segment.

I think its much more entertaining watching wrestlers react to a crowd, especially when that crowd does something unexpected, than watch them just recite lines to a bunch of people who are falling asleep.

Hell my favorite Randy Orton moment in recent memory is him losing his mind during that Orton-Cena match. You couldnt get things like that with a disengaged audience.

·
Banned
8,180 Posts

In regards to what side of the fence I'm on: neither. I support who I want. I like different guys for different reasons. A lot of people here only like one TYPE of wrestler. Either he has to be a former indie star and very good in the ring or a god on the microphone. All I ask for is a great character and we can work on the strength and weaknesses from there. I'm unabashed about who I like and who I don't because I don't determine that based on what everyone else is thinking. Plenty of sheep here. Plenty of contrarians too. Both equally as useless.

In regards to crowd noise: I'd rather a crowd be silent or hell, edited to silence, if they're chanting annoying bullshit that kills the atmosphere or derails a moment or promo or match that I otherwise would've enjoyed. They can chant whatever they want, granted. That doesn't mean that they have RO be dicks about it, and they can enjoy their show and I can enjoy mine without them being dicks about it.

·
wrap
9,027 Posts

I don't like it when a crowd is chanting something like CM Punk or JBL during a good segment or match. Quite frankly, I view that as being stupid as fuck. At times, I hear them chanting JBL or something like that during a decent match, and it's incredibly stupid. It's all subjective, though, and I really am super biased b/c I can honestly say that I am highly entertained when it's about something I couldn't give a fuck about, more so something that many fans including myself have been uninterested in only to have be aired anyway. Like Orton/Cena at Royal Rumble. Legitimately found it hilarious.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts

My 2 faves at the moment are Batista & Cesaro. I also marked for Punk and i dislike Bryan & Sheamus (and i'm Irish too). I must be an exception as i like and dislike people from both WWE made/indy sides.

·
Arrive Post Leave
501 Posts

I don't like it when a crowd is chanting something like CM Punk or JBL during a good segment or match. Quite frankly, I view that as being stupid as fuck. At times, I hear them chanting JBL or something like that during a decent match, and it's incredibly stupid. It's all subjective, though, and I really am super biased b/c I can honestly say that I am highly entertained when it's about something I couldn't give a fuck about, more so something that many fans including myself have been uninterested in only to have be aired anyway. Like Orton/Cena at Royal Rumble. Legitimately found it hilarious.
at leased people are making some noise now , even if at times it negitive. but ultimitly if you've paid for your ticket you should be free to cheer , boo or chant as you wish.

·
wrap
9,027 Posts

at leased people are making some noise now , even if at times it negitive. but ultimitly if you've paid for your ticket you should be free to cheer , boo or chant as you wish.
I agree, you should be free. I'm not saying you shouldn't. I am just saying that certain things annoy when chanted, b/c I think they're stupid. Though, I usually like smarky crowds and their chants.

·
Banned
8,180 Posts

Why is this ever an argument? Has anyone ever said, precisely, that fans shouldn't be allowed to chant whatever they want? Disagreeing with their retarded chants and admitting that it makes the show worse for you does not imply that you don't think they should be allowed to say what they want. You simply disagree with the stupidity.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts

I wonder what you would call the fans who were chanting WHAT at everything earlier in the millennium lol

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

i think its confusing chanting CM punk when Daniel bryan is in that ring fighting off Triple H and co
In storyline, the chanting would make sense if CM Punk actually came out there to help Bryan fight off Triple H, Kane, Batista, etc. Too bad he didn't show up. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts