Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The idea of this thread is to follow the lineage of the NWA World Heavyweight Championship following it being vacated by “The Franchise” Shane Douglas in the Summer of '94. A new champion will be decided in a 16 man tournament, for which competitors will be announced at regular intervals with the epic length show, straight from Yokohama, Japan, to be posted a few days after all announcements have been made. Additionally, every match in this thread will be Two out of Three falls and the only matches that will appear from here on in are those surrounding the NWA World Heavyweight Championship itself. Also, do not expect heavy emphasis on storyline as this will be done almost exclusively through in-ring action and match psychology, setting up repeat challenges or wins of the belt. The idea is that the NWA World Heavyweight Championship is a international brand, and the wrestler who holds it will travel the world defending it. Hope you enjoy what I'm trying to do here, and stick with the thread, despite it not being a typical BTB.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

The first competitor announced for the 16 man NWA World Heavyweight Championship tournament is Jushin "Thunder" Liger.

The second competitor announced for the 16 man NWA World Heavyweight Championship tournament is The Great Sasuke.

The third competitor announced for the 16 man NWA World Heavyweight Championship tournament is Wild Pegasus.

The fourth competitor announced for the 16 man NWA World Heavyweight Championship tournament is ***** Casas.

The fifth competitor announced for the 16 man NWA World Heavyweight Championship tournament is El Samurai.

The sixth competitor announced for the 16 man NWA World Heavyweight Championship tournament is Ultimo Dragon.

The seventh competitor announced for the 16 man NWA World Heavyweight Championship tournament is Dean Malenko.

The eighth competitor announced for the 16 man NWA World Heavyweight Championship tournament is Hayabusa.

The ninth competitor announced for the 16 man NWA World Heavyweight Championship tournament is Eddie Guerrero.

The tenth competitor announced for the 16 man NWA World Heavyweight Championship tournament is Sabu.

The eleventh competitor announced for the 16 man NWA World Heavyweight Championship tournament is Rey Misterio Jr.

The twelfth competitor announced for the 16 man NWA World Heavyweight Championship tournament is Brian Pillman.

The thirteenth competitor announced for the 16 man NWA World Heavyweight Championship tournament is Masato Tanaka.

The fourteenth competitor announced for the 16 man NWA World Heavyweight Championship tournament is El Hijo Del Santo.

The fifteenth competitor announced for the 16 man NWA World Heavyweight Championship tournament is Owen Hart.

The sixteenth competitor announced for the 16 man NWA World Heavyweight Championship tournament is Terry Funk.

· Banned
9,415 Posts
This looks like a very interesting concept for a BTB. Everything's looking good so far, I'm only familiar with Liger and Benoit out of the four announced for the tournament so far but I'm looking forward to finding out who the rest of the competitors are.

Good luck!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the really positive replies. I hope you'll be glad to see everybody involved in the tournament has been announced and hopefully there aren't too many controversial inclusions or omissions (if so, let me know, it's always interesting to get feedback).

But moving on with the tournament preparations, here are the announced first round match ups:

Brian Pillman vs. Jushin Liger
Rey Mysterio Jr. vs. ***** Casas
The Great Sasuke vs. Hayabusa
Masato Tanaka vs. Terry Funk
Owen Hart vs. Wild Pegasus
Sabu vs. Ultimo Dragon
El Hijo Del Santo vs. El Samurai

· Banned
4,476 Posts
Owen Hart? Don't you think the WWF would stop him from being in it?

· Banned
9,415 Posts
Liking the competitors you have in this a lot, like I mentioned before and luckily I'm familiar with most of the guys involved now.

Some nice matches there too, especially Owen/Benoit, looking forward to seeing how this progresses. :)

· I'M A WOLF BEAST GUY
5,487 Posts
That's an awesome line-up, mate. I agree with Shock that Owen/Benoit is probably the pick of the round. Pretty much a dream match right there and two of the favourites. I love that Funk's in there too. You can't go wrong with that crazy old bastard.

Looking forward to the next update :)

· Banned
4,476 Posts
The WWF were actually much more open to letting talent work outside dates in the mid-90's. And if, Lawler could do it down in Memphis, I see no reason why Owen couldn't work this.
That was different, as the WWF and USWA were cross-promoting each other.

This is your story, though, and I want you to do whatever you want with it. It sounds interesting.

Reactions: WCW Fan
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.