Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think one of the best color commentators the WWF/WWE ever had was Gorrilla Monsoon. He had a prolific way of expressing himself that will never be recaptured by any other commentator. The banter exchanged between the Gorrilla and the Brain were priceless. If a wrestler happened to be hit in the back of the head, Gorrilla would look at Bobby and say, "he was hit on the rear obcipheral protuberance". To which the Brain would say, "I thought he got hit on the back of the head".

The Brain would start to give his impression of a move, or statistics, to which Gorrilla Monsoon would say, "you are certainly a Fountain of Miss-Information".

We were very fortunate to have those two as commentators.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Gorilla Monsoon was an decent announcer but he was made to look even better because of unbelievable Bobby Heenan was as it was Bobby Heenan's heel antics that made Gorilla Monsoon be the face announcer and they bounced off of each other very well. The difference was though that Gorilla Monsoon was not as good at the announce booth with anyone else other than Bobby Heenan whereas Bobby Heenan was great no matter who was alongside him.

I have always been a bit gutted by the fact that WWE let Bobby Heenan go for financial reasons because i don't think there would ever have been a announce team as great as Jim Ross as the face and Bobby Heenan as the heel. Jerry Lawler was a good heel announcer and worked very well with Jim Ross but Bobby Heenan was in a different league and a combination of Jim Ross and Bobby Heenan could have made some of the biggest and greatest matches even better with them two calling them.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
Any mixture of Heenan, McMahon, Ventura & Monsoon would be a fantastic commentary team, as they all proved on many occasions.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
Gorilla Monsoon wasn't a color commentator.
Thats the hilarious part :lmao

Plus, Gorilla, back in his time, was widely considered a BAD commentator. I mean looking back there is entertainment value in him but its hard to imagine he would have been as successful without Jesse or Heenan.

Jesse The Body Verntura, and to a slightly lesser extent Bobby The Brain Heenan, were the epitome of great colour commentary. Best play by play guys are Gordon Solie and JR.

·
Registered
563 Posts
For me Gorilla Monsoon & Jessie Ventura were the perfect announce team. When Bobby Heenan got involved it was even better!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I just loved how they use to announce each match as if it were a legitimate sporting event. It really added credence to the product.

·
Inappropriately tinkly music.
7,024 Posts
Thats the hilarious part :lmao

Plus, Gorilla, back in his time, was widely considered a BAD commentator. I mean looking back there is entertainment value in him but its hard to imagine he would have been as successful without Jesse or Heenan.

Jesse The Body Verntura, and to a slightly lesser extent Bobby The Brain Heenan, were the epitome of great colour commentary. Best play by play guys are Gordon Solie and JR.
I dunno, I thought he was pretty good with Piper too. And I know that's three huge personalities working with him, but you have to respect him for being able to work with them so well.

(Although Gorilla and Okerlund together were pretty painful to listen to.)

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Gorilla and Heenan were the best announce team period. Go back and watch them and prove me wrong, you wont be able to.

Gorilla and Ventura come second in my book.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts