Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
#WWELogic
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying this thread is not a "bring the attidue era back" nore is it "why the WWE is PG". This thread is intended to refelect & perharps speculate on weather or not we will ever see these words uttered again on TV to bring about a new direction of change to the product.

Saw this on youtube and I was hoping to share it very ironic meaning today

When I found this the I litterary had by jaw drop, since everything Vince uttered ala "insaulting your intellengince" "goodies vs bad guys", "the era of the superhero is over" " and we want to ENTERTAIN you"

Sure times have changed, what was popular then "sex, drugs & rock n roll" aren't in the spotlight today, thank you PC people. Anyways I find it extremely hard that if the WWE had taken account some of the key ideas said in this video the product today wouldn't be in the mess its in and yes its in a mess.

Not because of PG, or Linda, or the kids in teh crowd. Hell kids are a great sign, that hopfully the audiance will grow up to give way back to what most males 18-40 are looking for in a "sports entertainment" product.

But the key point I really enjoyed was the PARENTS responisblity to advize their own discression when allowing their kids to watch. To me this what should always be done, one apple shouldn't spoiler the whole bunch ala the PG rating shouldn't destory what wrestling was all about, its up to the parents to understand that little johhny no matter how many times he cries needs to understand that wrestling maybe a little to mature for him even if his hero is John Cena.

My point is in this video it finds a balance between "family" & the rest of the fanbase, its balance the WWE needs right now, between mid-card & main events, between funny & not funny (for anyone with an IQ past two.)

To me its only in the words of the past the WWE will find its future, sure it won't be that era we all love but it shouldn't be this era where most of us piss on it.

Stay Frosty

·
Registered
560 Posts
Interesting find. The thing is, is that the WWE is following the times and trends just like it was in 1997. Back then there was a lot of controversial TV but then they all became watered down and more accepting to the general society just the like WWE has done. I mean the UFC (martial arts for gods sake) Miley Cyrus in her bra and Lady Gaga are the most controversial things being discussed on TV presently. Springer Maury all MTV shows are all programs that just live on there past glory. @ least the WWE can push foreword.

Also another factor is the deaths of a few superstars during this time. I don't believe the AE contributed to this but when you have such a negative thing happen in an already criticized program people are going to try and link it up. I think it's BS but people are dumb. I do think some of the stunts did go too far, but it was a very low incidence rate

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
You know, I was coming in here to bash for disguising your opinion of "bring back teh additude!!!" but I'm instead going to praise you for the video. Very, very cool. Although it's kind of sad that, with just a half of a second at the end, I know the music was Los Boricuas.

Professional wrestling and "sports entertainment" is just like everything else on television. It cycles between "cartoonish" and predictable, and edgy and exciting. I personally believe that within the next 5 years, WWE will be edgy again.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
The key phrase in that video is "insulting your intelligence", nothing pisses me off more than being treated like an idiot. Vince Russo of all people brought this up in his RF Shoot when he said that the (then) current WWE writing was suitable for someone of about 7 years old (he wasn't talking about content since this was around 2004, he meant the writing itself was only believable to some in that age group)

PG doesn't mean childish, I'm willing to bet everyone on this forum has seen at least one Pixar movie and enjoyed it in spite of the age rating.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
PG doesn't mean childish, I'm willing to bet everyone on this forum has seen at least one Pixar movie and enjoyed it in spite of the age rating.
Really good point. Pixar movies are the shit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thank you for the footage Frost99, that was some viewing though I did crack a smile when McMahon dared to associate his product with Seinfeld, lol.

The WWE did change their attitude so to speak but if you look back, apart from the extended use of weapons and blading, the formulas and mechanics in wrestling had remained unchanged.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The key phrase in that video is "insulting your intelligence", nothing pisses me off more than being treated like an idiot. Vince Russo of all people brought this up in his RF Shoot when he said that the (then) current WWE writing was suitable for someone of about 7 years old (he wasn't talking about content since this was around 2004, he meant the writing itself was only believable to some in that age group).
Vince Russo has insulted the wrestling fan's intelligence ever since late WCW and now into TNA. What we must remember is Vince McMahon was Russo's 'filter'. McMahon accepted and declined Russo's ideas so who knows how many ideas Russo had before one was acceptable. The proof is in the pudding now, so-to-speak. Vince Russo didn't have that filter in WCW and he doesn't have it now in TNA and all of his ideas went unfiltered into every show whether they were awful or not - I think this is the difference.

PG doesn't mean childish, I'm willing to bet everyone on this forum has seen at least one Pixar movie and enjoyed it in spite of the age rating
Completely agree! I have a lot of Pixar movies and think they are great.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Kids are fucking money nowadays. THey buy all the taccy merchanide, half the audience in the crowd are kids nowadays.

I think with the internet being so popular nowadays controversial TV shows don't sell as much because people can just google and youtube any content they want, where as family orientated PG entertainment both sells and is a better market to advertise and leads to more deals, earlier TV times, chance for goverment campaigns ect.?

·
Banned
266 Posts
ah,what happened to this Vince?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts