Wrestling Forum banner

The firing plotline is really starting to piss me off...

3394 Views 36 Replies 34 Participants Last post by  Hiplop
Can we stop this shit already? How many people have been "fired" recently? John Cena, Edge, Kelly Kelly, Dolph Ziggler, Vickie Guerrero, and now I suppose Alex Riley since he was supposed to only be contracted to Miz and not Raw itself (watch that one turn out to be real...*sigh*). I think that's everybody. Now John Cena was "fired" in November, and now we're in March. That's 6 firings in less than as many months. Am I the only one who thinks this plotline is becoming ridiculously overused to the point of becoming meaningless?

The occasional firing storyline is cool, but this many? Please. And most of them don't have any sort of meaning attached to them, they don't stick or even feel like the person getting fired is in a desperate situation. John Cena's didn't, he was fired about 2 weeks or so, Edge's lasted a single show, Kelly Kelly's lasted maybe 2 weeks, Dolph Ziggler's won't stick very long. At the least, he'll be at WrestleMania, same with Vickie's. The only one that will stick is Alex Riley because he's being booted back to hell. How am I supposed to care when somebody gets fired with all this shit going on? They might as well just "suspend" whoever it is, because at LEAST that runs out and it makes sense when they return to tv, as opposed to somebody getting fired and then weaseling their way back into a job like Cena or being re-hired the same show or whatever. It's becoming so overused that its getting sickening, and the worst thing is, somehow, I doubt it's over. I can just imagine them dragging this plotline even farther into the ground than they already have.

We need something different. Thoughts? I needed to get this off my chest because it's been annoying me for a few weeks.
Reactions: Ashleigh Rose
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Banned
4,476 Posts
I completely agree. It's like creative has just said "fuck it, they liked it the first time, let's do it again."

Obviously they aren't actually getting fired, and like you said, they're not even going away. I expect Vickie to be the ref in the Cole/Lawler match, and Ziggler to win MITB.

· Registered
267 Posts
Plus I miss Vince being the one giving out the pink slips. The plotline is only nice when it involves a big time wrestler that people care about. A heel getting let go storywise? People are happy but it doesn't create drama. Stone Cold and vince made it work. Ziggler? Who cares. there just aren't any rebels anymore, maybe HHH and the Undertaker really are the last outlaws.

· Asuka
123,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I completely agree. It's like creative has just said "fuck it, they liked it the first time, let's do it again."

Obviously they aren't actually getting fired, and like you said, they're not even going away. I expect Vickie to be the ref in the Cole/Lawler match, and Ziggler to win MITB.
I don't think Ziggler will win MITB, I think he's more likely to re-emerge at WrestleMania and screw Edge out of the world title, which transitions into a full blown Edge/Ziggler feud and then he'll win the SmackDown MITB at the MITB PPV. I can't see anybody but Morrison winning the WM MITB. Besides, how would it be legitimate for Ziggler to win the MITB if he doesn't have a job? Unless he goes to Raw, he's not getting his job back before WrestleMania and I think they want to keep him on SmackDown. If anybody can just run in and yank the case down, then it wouldn't matter who qualifies and the match would then have to be turned into complete anarchy for it to continue making sense.

I do appreciate though that at least they've taken Ziggler off tv for a bit and not just because I hate Ziggler, but somebody has to go away for even a little bit if they keep doing this.

Plus I miss Vince being the one giving out the pink slips. The plotline is only nice when it involves a big time wrestler that people care about. A heel getting let go storywise? People are happy but it doesn't create drama. Stone Cold and vince made it work. Ziggler? Who cares. there just aren't any rebels anymore, maybe HHH and the Undertaker really are the last outlaws.
I agree. Like I said, the occasional firing storyline is good. The ideal circumstance is when it's a huge name wrestler people care about like Stone Cold. They had a perfect opportunity to really make something of the John Cena firing at the hands of Nexus and they didn't do it. Instead, they shut it off and kept repeating the same plotline of getting fired and re-hired on what seems like an endless loop.

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,895 Posts
A-fucking-men. I actually went into a diatribe very similar to your OP, Pyro, with some friends after Raw went off the air this week.

My thought for something different is, get rid of the "firing" idea from the product for a long, long time. It's the kind of thing that needs to be reserved for a crucial storyline and should probably be utilized no more than two, three times a year. Not two, three times a month.

Suspensions would be a decent alternative. They're more believable, for one. And you'd be admitting to to the audience that these people will be back, which even the markiest of marks must know to be true in around 88.4% of the cases.

Vince has a fixation I suppose stemming from the whole "You're FFFFIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRREEEEEEDDD!!!!!" shtick of his but it lost its potency a long time ago.

· HEADBANGA
27,527 Posts
The only firing that pissed me off was Cena's. All that build up to the match only for him to return the next week. Especially after that farwell adress he gave. That fucking numbed my mind when they brought him back so quickly.

· Registered
7,009 Posts
The only firing that pissed me off was Cena's. All that build up to the match only for him to return the next week. Especially after that farwell adress he gave. That fucking numbed my mind when they brought him back so quickly.
Yeah, that was a retarded decision.

· Registered
4,651 Posts
I think the firing angle is overused in general when it comes to wrestling, but most of the recent ones were tied into the larger angle of Vickie abusing her power. Cena's firing was horrendous and so was/is Alex Riley's, assuming he's going to just show up as Cole's special guest referee or something.

· GOAT
4,573 Posts
I think the firing angle is overused in general when it comes to wrestling, but most of the recent ones were tied into the larger angle of Vickie abusing her power. Cena's firing was horrendous and so was/is Alex Riley's, assuming he's going to just show up as Cole's special guest referee or something.
Nail on head. It'll then end up being Cole as the GM, with his first order of business rehiring A-Ry.

· Registered
4,924 Posts
The firing storylines are tolerable. Dolph and Vickie firings were necessary, just as a payback for her firing Edge and Kelly Kelly. And their firing was just a powerplay by Vickie. It was, for once, a feud that ended in a satisfying way. The Cena one was fine at the time. And the A-Ri firing had to happen eventually. Can't be Miz's manservant forever.

I'm fine with it all. But if it happens again...I won't be fine with it anymore.

· Registered
3,835 Posts
Yeah what a waste they didn't even debut his "cousin" Juan Cena they just went straight to rehiring cena after a week.(He couldn't sell the firing for at least a month?) Actually the whole Cena/Nexus/Barett storyline went downhill fast. It was good for a while too but then it was like they ran out of ideas.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.