Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 165 Posts

·
Banned
11,533 Posts
I feel like the Fiend kind of exists out of the realm of face and heel. He's just scary. I think you could have him go after a heel like Daniel Bryan. Or maybe he takes out one member of the New Day at a time until he gets to Kofi.
I would enjoy the New Day storyline. The beatdowns have to be BAD though. Have Xavier hung up and crucified backstage. Have Big E bloody in a parking lot. Etc.

·
Southern Pride
3,538 Posts
We have to be cautiously optimistic and excited for "The fiend". At least, that is where I am at right now because surely WWE will find a way to fuck it up like they did with The Wyatt Family.

His entrance, music and everything else, at Summer Slam was pretty awesome though. I didn't like the mask when he revealed it long ago but I have warmed up to it now.

Reactions: prosperwithdeen

·
Butter My Arse
11,758 Posts
Have been singing the praises of Bray ever since he debuted - even when everybody said he was dead and buried, he reinvents himself despite his godawful booking past and transforms himself into a complete monster. Say what you want about his wrestling ability (who really gives a shit) but the creativity this man possesses is just astonishing. His only blockade is once again the demented old shitstain who runs the damn company.

Plus I hear Code Orange did his updated theme which is awesome (they also do Black’s theme).

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
He's been around for YEARS.

Besides, "too much too fast" is a concept that doesn't exist. Either you're good enough or you're not good enough, and if you're good enough, you can handle being pushed fast.

And why is it too much? Because he's not over enough to handle it? Bullshit.

Not in my eyes.

How is beating Rollins acceptable but Goldberg and Taker is too much? Rollins is more credible than Goldberg and Taker. He just beat Brock clean, which they couldn't do. :lmao

Not to mention you're talking about him winning the title, which is the ultimate destination, but beating two over the hill legends is too fast? What? Beating an over the hill legend is not more important than beating Rollins or winning the WWE title. I won't say less important than beating Kofi, because who the fuck is Kofi, but he does have the title and that is ultimately far bigger than just some win against Goldberg or Undertaker.
Umm...what?

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
My prediction. You'll see this "the fiend" for a while. Then the other Bray will start coming out, the guy on the Funhouse.
That doesn't tend to be how Vince works. Vince lets the performer get stuff out of their system and fall on their face before ultimately committing to a long character.

They did similar with Undertaker's infamous 'pipe bomb' promo in like May or June of '98. They only had to damn near kill Foley at HiAC 2 to cover and make everyone forget just how bad that was. After which he went dark for an extended period of time with no complaints.

Now they have this whole Firefly bullshit where i'm sure Vince gave Bray free reign and a length of rope to go get whatever he wanted out of his system, and it played to crickets and was gooker-worthy.

I'm quite sure he'll be The Fiend for a good long while now, so long as it is well-received. It'll all be dependent on the matchups they feed him and whether or not they hit the chicken-switch or not.

Because whether you like it or not, he's still a clown in a mask and they could very well perceive him as such, and if it falls into haha, this will not end well.

·
Steady as she goes
5,262 Posts
So you're saying he could either be a geek or a star?

I still think everything about this gimmick in and of itself, from the Firefly Fun House, to the ring gear, to the remixed theme (until the chorus anyway) is bad and shouldn't work, but it does work only because he has so much charisma and the presence of a madman.

It's impossible for me to get excited about it, though, because I KNOW they're going to ruin it. If this was AEW I'd have faith, but in WWE, uh uh. We don't get to have nice things like real main eventers as champions, we get Rollins and Reigns.
You already guaranteed this gimmick wouldn't make it to PPV because it was bad and it did make it to PPV so do you maybe think it's actually NOT as bad as you think it is?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
How is beating Rollins acceptable but Goldberg and Taker is too much? Rollins is more credible than Goldberg and Taker. He just beat Brock clean, which they couldn't do. :lmao
These marks are hilarious, they say fuck Brock and are glad an injured Rollins beat Lesnar clean but when you tell them the aftermath, that now Rollins is more credible than people Goldberg and Undertaker they lose their minds!! HAHAHA

·
Registered
46 Posts
It's good so far.

WATCH Some old Kane stuff and IT the movie. Try to book this thing properly....

Knowing WWE...I doubt they pull it off. But I am hopeful.

·
Banned
11,533 Posts
100% serious when I say this: I haven't been this attached so a character that I REALLY want to succeed maybe ever. I'm genuinely worried about when, not if, WWE fucks this up.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Ideally, this is how they should use him.

Have a clear delineation between the Friend and Bray Wyatt.

Have Bray serve as the Fiend's manager, so to speak, through Firefly Funhouse vignettes and promos.

Don't let him lose.

Make him a tweener. Make Hurt/Heal actually mean something.

Don't just let him fight the weird guys. Use him as an opportunity to give other wrestlers better characterization.

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts
You and I who are well-versed in all things wrestling can look at it that way, but 95% of the WWE audience do not. Most will still look at Taker, Lesnar and Goldberg going down to Wyatt as a FAR bigger deal than Rollins going down. In my eyes, Rollins is still a mid-carder, even with his big win over Lesnar. He is technically "stronger" than Taker/Goldberg/Reigns/Lesnar now that he got the streak rub, but the majority of the audience is not going to really look at it that way and will not take Wyatt beating Rollins clean as seriously as they would Goldberg/Taker losing.
Well, I don't care how "most people" would view it, I care how Vince McMahon would view it. Beating some past their prime legends is not the same as beating the strongest guy on the roster in his prime.

To me, I still view Rollins as a midcarder because I don't take him seriously, but what the hell does it matter what I think. I take Asuka more seriously than Roman Reigns. What matters is what Vince thinks and that's it.

And btw, eventually they will take beating Rollins as seriously as Brock, Goldberg and Taker because Rollins isn't gonna lose that title, or lose any match, really, for a long, LONG time.

The WWE Title is lower on the scale in comparison to legendary status, which Rollins does not have yet. It shouldn't be that way, but that is how WWE has presented their titles. Beating Rollins should absolutely be the top thing, but it isn't. There isn't much credibility anymore given how they have booked their champions. Beating Goldberg or Taker would establish Wyatt as "The Guy", which is why it should be held off until Wrestlemania. Beating Rollins won't give off that same feeling. Even if he is the "Beastslayer".
He's not gonna be "the guy" no matter what he does.

Just give him the title. I don't care about Goldberg, I don't care about Undertaker, I don't care about Brock. The end game is the belt. It's always the belt.

Umm...what?
You heard me. Goldberg didn't beat Brock clean. Brock had his back turned and Goldberg Speared him. When Brock didn't have his back turned, he kicked Goldbergs ass and beat him. Rollins faced Brock with no distractions or weapons, no shenanigans of any kind, no excuses, and won.

You already guaranteed this gimmick wouldn't make it to PPV because it was bad and it did make it to PPV so do you maybe think it's actually NOT as bad as you think it is?
No. It's definitely bad. He's making it work more than it has any right to, but it's bad.

These marks are hilarious, they say fuck Brock and are glad an injured Rollins beat Lesnar clean but when you tell them the aftermath, that now Rollins is more credible than people Goldberg and Undertaker they lose their minds!! HAHAHA
I never said I wanted Rollins to beat Lesnar clean, so I don't know what you're on about...

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I never said I wanted Rollins to beat Lesnar clean, so I don't know what you're on about...
No not you, I meant the people that get upset about facts like Rollins being more credible that Goldberg and Undertaker.
You get it, they don't.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
You heard me. Goldberg didn't beat Brock clean. Brock had his back turned and Goldberg Speared him. When Brock didn't have his back turned, he kicked Goldbergs ass and beat him. Rollins faced Brock with no distractions or weapons, no shenanigans of any kind, no excuses, and won.
That's still a clean victory... No one made Brock turn his back, he did so because he didn't take Goldberg seriously, even after getting shoved to the ground by him

·
Queen of all Galaxies
3,674 Posts
I haven't been so excited about Bray since 2013-14. What ruined him back then was poor booking and that's what can ruin him again this time, because Bray is still Bray, an extremely talented guy who perfectly knows how to play his gimmick and make it amazing. He should definitely capture the Universal Championship, win a big match at WrestleMania and end his WM losing streak, and of course be on a winning streak at least until SummerSlam 2020. Bray is the psychotic monster heel that WWE needs, he should decimate legends and current top guys before eventually putting over someone who deserves the rub. But as I was saying, him losing shouldn't happen at least until a year from now, because he has to achieve the WWE top heel status.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Yeah, I assume that when Finn returns in a couple of months, we'll get the Demon V Fiend, and it'll go Balor's way, leading to a decider.

I don't mind that too much. Handled correctly, they should both come out of the feud looking good, regardless who wins the rubber match.
I actually think they should hold off on that, have Balor unable to defeat Wyatt, perhaps even the first ever defeat on the main roster for the demon, giving balor the chance to up the anti on his demon persona to level the playing field because that would be great or even have them loosely alligned.

The Fiend needs to beat the Undertaker before you have that character lose to anyone.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Best part of SS.
Agreed:

Imagine when you get the crowd shouting along to hurt and heal as well once they know the version better.

I like how he's still interactive with the audience, the mobile lights, the fireflies, that was a big pull to his previous character and they kept it without making it feel dated.

I like the way funhouse Bray has eased the younger kids into the fact it's a character rather than he's actually carrying a severed head as a lantern. It's a creepy character yet it's maintained it's cool and the delivery so far has been excellent.

·
The face that runs the List
10,738 Posts
For those who are interested, the band who did his theme is Code Orange. One of their songs was used for one NXT Takeover and they also did Aleister's theme live

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts
That's still a clean victory... No one made Brock turn his back, he did so because he didn't take Goldberg seriously, even after getting shoved to the ground by him
If you want to call it clean, fine. He still turned his back, so there's an asterisk next to his victory. Guess what happened when Goldberg faced Brock and Brock did take him seriously? Brock won clean in 5 minutes. You know what happened when Seth wrestled him with him taking Seth seriously? He lost. To an INJURED Seth at that.

41 - 60 of 165 Posts