Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted what is below in a reply to another thread, "The Missing Ingredient is Intensity". For whatever reason that thread disappeared quite quickly (probably because people are too busy posting 'Save us Dean Ambrose'). Anyway, I thought it'd be interesting to focus on what I call (with no offence) the feminisation of heels in the WWE today. Take a look.

Intensity is definitely an ingredient missing from the WWE, but there's also another ingredient that's been added that shouldn't be there: dare I say it, the feminisation of the WWE (and television and media in general, but that's a whole other subject).

Looks at the heels of today's WWE beside Brock Lesnar, who was booked well until his loss at Extreme Rules (which, I don't care how many times people say he looked strong during the match, was still the wrong decision). Dolph Ziggler, Cody Rhodes, Jack Swagger. Look at the most popular faces. Santino Marella, Zack Ryder, John Cena. They all come to the ring with a smile on their face, colourful, as if it's just another day in the office. This is supposed to be an environment where you fighting to win every single time you come to the ring. It's a competitive industry. Yet we have many a superstar coming to the ring and performing with a firm awareness that their whole world, which they try to present to the audience as "real", is an illusion. How are the audience meant to invest in characters, in a product that is supposedly "competitive" and "rough" when the characters look more and more feminine and there is not much suspension of disbelief?
Discuss.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I posted what is below in a reply to another thread, "The Missing Ingredient is Intensity". For whatever reason that thread disappeared quite quickly (probably because people are too busy posting 'Save us Dean Ambrose'). Anyway, I thought it'd be interesting to focus on what I call (with no offence) the feminisation of heels in the WWE today. Take a look.

Discuss.
The product is aimed at kids. It sucks to be fan right now.

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts
WWE doesn't book any of their heels as strong, reason why we don't have any face champions.

WWE is trying to promote good over evil, either not realizing or not caring that strong heels create top faces.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Spot on. And I'd like to add the pandering. All the top faces always need to milk a reaction out of the crowd on purpose, instead of just doing their job and letting the audience react how they want. And heels do it the other way around, by trying to get cheap heat, instead of doing their own thing.
But the thing about the smiles is a very good point. Take Sandow for an example, why the hell does he have to smile and say "your welcome", when he could just keep that intense face and garner his heat by simply being neutral to the crowd. You don't always have to play the crowd to get boos/pops.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Spot on. And I'd like to add the pandering. All the top faces always need to milk a reaction out of the crowd on purpose, instead of just doing their job and letting the audience react how they want. And heels do it the other way around, by trying to get cheap heat, instead of doing their own thing.
But the thing about the smiles is a very good point. Take Sandow for an example, why the hell does he have to smile and say "your welcome", when he could just keep that intense face and garner his heat by simply being neutral to the crowd. You don't always have to play the crowd to get boos/pops.
What? To get heat, you have to do something unpopular or insult the crowd, which can be intertwined. This has always happened throughout history. The way Sandow is getting heat is very natural and actually apart of his character. Now, the face pandering does get tiring, especially when you see a guy like Punk doing it. Only face I think doesn't really pander is Orton.

Anyway, I agree with the OP. Heels just aren't booked strong in any sort of sense unless you are atleast a good 250+ pounds.

·
Banned
370 Posts
I disagree, I don't think all faces should come to the ring with a completely serious demeanor.

Yes they should get serious in their match unless they are doing a comedy match.

But everyone shouldn't be stern and boring. Look at Dusty Rhodes. One of the most over faces in history, always had a big smile on his face.

·
Registered
664 Posts
they have look like sissies for years. Ziggler, Miz, Rhodes... WWE creative should know there other hateable people in this world, apart from cocky metrosexuals.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
I think it's a combination of heels being feminized but also heels becoming the underdogs. Any heel vs. Cena is automatically the underdog with the recent exception of Lesnar who still fucking lost lol. Same with Orton, Seamus and Punk. Yes, they have taken a loss, more so than Cena, but you automatically think that the heel has no chance against them and that's the bigger problem imo. When you break down WWE storylines, it's the heels who have the deck stacked against them, it's the heels who have to fight and overcome in order to win. Just look at Cena/Johnny. Here we have a man in his mid 40's who hasn't wrestled in years in a match against a 12 time champion and prime of his life face of the company and if he loses he's fired, nobody can come to help him and in the match he essentially gets his ass kicked for 15 minutes while Cena looks a complete bully in the process. Who the fuck wants to cheer for a face like that? It's ridiculous. All the top stars are faces and all of them are on another level to everybody else. There are no top level heels and the heels we do have are feminine, chicken shit midcard heels that nobody takes seriously. When Lesnar came back we had everything needed for a truly dominant top level heel that made everybody look the underdog. And then he lost and they cut the knees off him before he even got started.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
What? To get heat, you have to do something unpopular or insult the crowd, which can be intertwined. This has always happened throughout history. The way Sandow is getting heat is very natural and actually apart of his character. Now, the face pandering does get tiring, especially when you see a guy like Punk doing it. Only face I think doesn't really pander is Orton.

Anyway, I agree with the OP. Heels just aren't booked strong in any sort of sense unless you are atleast a good 250+ pounds.
"My name is Randy Orton" that is about as cheap of a pop as ur gunna get other than "hello orlando the greatest city in the counrty!"

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I do agree that the heels are being booked like crap. Creative needs to reverse this trend to make it more interesting. Like alot of you have said, bigger heels mean bigger faces.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
First poster said it best, the shit is aimed for kids more than ever right now.
yea, which is a shame. I dont mind it being aimed at kids at all there's still nothing that says just because its aimed at kids doesnt mean you cant have a badass heel who gets his way. If anything it will teach kids a hard lesson in reality, "some times the good guys dont always win". WWE have got to stop spoiling the next generation of wrestling fans by treating them as though they are stupid, when I was a kid, top faces like Bret was losing clean most times and I feel it made me love wrestling more.

What we need is a Triple H kinda heel. someone who can give as good as he can get and doesnt back down and beat faces clean out.

·
Plotting time travel mission.
8,641 Posts
What about Daniel Bryan? The guy has had a great showing on PPV at Extreme Rules and Over the Limit. His character is a jerk to women, and if you watched Smackdown he beat the hell out of Kane with a steel chair, more than 15 hits to be precise. Plus hes got a beard.

·
Registered
988 Posts
We need a badass heel like Triple H or more recently Bobby Roode. Wade Barrett could fill that spot.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using VerticalSports.Com App

1 - 20 of 36 Posts