Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also posted this on yahoo:

People give WWF so much sh!t because of the failed inVasion angle, but most of the reasons was out of WWF's control. THREE things prevented the top WCW stars from joining the invasion angle

1.Personal Lives
2. injuries
3 Contract issues

1. Sting states (in the same interview where he didnt trust how he'd be used in WWE) that he wanted to get away from wrestling and spend time with his family.Obviously his person issue prevented his arrival,regardless of what he felt about WWE/Vince or the money, Sting wasnt going to WWF in 2001.

Eric Bischoff, everyone wanted him to lead WCW instead of Shane.Ok, that's a good idea but what made u think Bischoff would've joined WWF 3 months after WCW died, after 5 years of trying to run WWF out of business? Sure Bischoff went to WWE a year later, but there's a difference between a year and 3 months. Eric had enough time to clear his head a year later. And working with Heyman would've been an issue,since they have personal hatred for each other

2. Scott Steiner,Goldberg were injured

3.If I were Nash,Hogan,Luger,etc. WWF would have to pay me double or triple that amount to have me join. Also, if WWF sacrificed so much money to bring them in, then Booker T,DDP and Buff Bagwell would've complained about "why did we give up so much money to work for you but you sacrifice your own money to bring these guys in?". Yea I know they could've gotten the money back with the high TV,PPV rates,but still.

What im getting at is, people give WWF/Vince so much hell for not bringing in the top WCW guys, but they FAIL to mention that it takes TWO to negotiate. It's not a matter if WWE could've afforded them, it was also a matter of if they WANTED to give up a free vacation for One or Two years to work for less money.

oh please not this whole "Vince's ego" ruined the inVasion because if they were true, he would've gotten the big WCW stars and treated them like jobbers,but he didnt. To assume that Sting,Hogan,Hall,Nash,Flair,Luger, were to join the InVasion angle and be treated like jobbers "just because they were from WCW" is ridiculous.

The ONLY reason they were treated like jobbers is because the Alliance LACKED star power, NOT because they were from WCW. Ex: Look at Stone Cold, he was treated like a coward who needed underhand tactics because not only was he a heel, even with Austin the Alliance lacked star power.

Agree or disagree?

·
Banned
473 Posts
Re: The failed inVasion angle was out of WWF's control

They rushed it. They should have wait with that until they could get the huge stars.

Benoit and HHH got injured, so they had to rush the Invasion angle and did it wrong...

However, even if they had the major stars- I don't think that except for huge matches we would've gotten a better booked feud because Vince wanted to destroy WCW.

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

They rushed it. They should have wait with that until they could get the huge stars.

Benoit and HHH got injured, so they had to rush the Invasion angle and did it wrong...

However, even if they had the major stars- I don't think that except for huge matches we would've gotten a better booked feud because Vince wanted to destroy WCW.
Gotta disagree, WWF got stale after WMX7

Rock went to do movies, HHH/Benoit injured, Austin's bad heel turn that made many casual viewers leave, Austin had already feuded with the top guys, unless a WM rematch between Austin and Rock at Summerslam, but I think the inVasion angle should've started when it did, if they waited a year or two, the angle would've lost momentum and the casual viewers would've found another fad.Not to mention the ring rust

·
Registered
844 Posts

It felt like WCW going out of business got the WWE way off track. I think WWE probably should have just stayed the course of what they were going to do in 2001 before WCW went out of business and then done an Invasion angle down the road once they had the proper talents secured contractually.

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

wish I had a time machine and convince Vince !!

·
Banned
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Why the fuck is there a picture of some random bitch on my screen?

IDK, when I posted a reply she appeared as an option in the icon section and disappeared when I refreshed the page

Also, Im a noob.sooo....IDK

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
They should've waited to do it then.
Yeah they could have waited but I can see why Vince wanted to do it so quick because he wanted to ride the momentum of WCW & ECW Only just going out of business, who knows if the angle would of had the same impact 2 - 3 years later?

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

Reactions: Dub J

·
Registered
21,665 Posts

I also posted this on yahoo:

People give WWF so much sh!t because of the failed inVasion angle, but most of the reasons was out of WWF's control. THREE things prevented the top WCW stars from joining the invasion angle

1.Personal Lives
2. injuries
3 Contract issues

1. Sting states (in the same interview where he didnt trust how he'd be used in WWE) that he wanted to get away from wrestling and spend time with his family.Obviously his person issue prevented his arrival,regardless of what he felt about WWE/Vince or the money, Sting wasnt going to WWF in 2001.

Eric Bischoff, everyone wanted him to lead WCW instead of Shane.Ok, that's a good idea but what made u think Bischoff would've joined WWF 3 months after WCW died, after 5 years of trying to run WWF out of business? Sure Bischoff went to WWE a year later, but there's a difference between a year and 3 months. Eric had enough time to clear his head a year later. And working with Heyman would've been an issue,since they have personal hatred for each other

2. Scott Steiner,Goldberg were injured

3.If I were Nash,Hogan,Luger,etc. WWF would have to pay me double or triple that amount to have me join. Also, if WWF sacrificed so much money to bring them in, then Booker T,DDP and Buff Bagwell would've complained about "why did we give up so much money to work for you but you sacrifice your own money to bring these guys in?". Yea I know they could've gotten the money back with the high TV,PPV rates,but still.

What im getting at is, people give WWF/Vince so much hell for not bringing in the top WCW guys, but they FAIL to mention that it takes TWO to negotiate. It's not a matter if WWE could've afforded them, it was also a matter of if they WANTED to give up a free vacation for One or Two years to work for less money.

oh please not this whole "Vince's ego" ruined the inVasion because if they were true, he would've gotten the big WCW stars and treated them like jobbers,but he didnt. To assume that Sting,Hogan,Hall,Nash,Flair,Luger, were to join the InVasion angle and be treated like jobbers "just because they were from WCW" is ridiculous.

The ONLY reason they were treated like jobbers is because the Alliance LACKED star power, NOT because they were from WCW. Ex: Look at Stone Cold, he was treated like a coward who needed underhand tactics because not only was he a heel, even with Austin the Alliance lacked star power.

Agree or disagree?
I disagree and I'll tell you for why...

1) Everybody wants to spend more time with their family, you know why they don't? Because they're offered too much money to turn down. This is what WWE should have done with Sting. WWE left hundreds of millions of dollars on the table when they half assed the InVasion angle because they wanted to go the cheap route and a guy like Sting is who should be your #1 draft pick.

Bischoff would have joined for the money, just like everybody else. He was burnt out with WCW at that time and after the failed take-over bid, would have had a ready made storyline for his re-capture of WCW and then a ready made storyline of trying to get WCW to wipe WWF off the map. So rather than making the show all about the McMahon's, they could have pout real life beef and stories into the show.

2) If they were injured (I can't remember) then fair enough, there's nothing you could do about those 2 guys.

3) You have to speculate to accumulate, especially in the entertainment business. You have to provide the top names if you want to draw a big audience so leaving the top names out because they'd cost too much is something a low budget company would do, not the biggest company in the entire history of the industry. Do you think companies like Apple would purposely avoid hiring a guy they think could do top business for them because he's demanding them to double his wages? Of course not, they're Apple. They'll hire him, making him filthy rich and make a ton of money off of him.

Vince has proved time and time again that it doesn't matter how much people want and how much they put the pressure on WWE during negotiations, he'll still hire them if it's "best for business." Lesnar and Rock are great examples. 2 guys who were brought in to boost PPV buys and Vince had to bend over to come to terms. Making them the stars of the show after so long away, paying them millions for few appearances...and even the appearances are dictated by those talents. Vince could have easily done this with WCW too but he was riding the wave, got lazy and steam rolled his own new company.

Look at guys like Booker T. When he debuted the Rock pretended that he didn't even know who he was, instant burial. DDP, debuted as a weird stalker...even though all the fans knew he had an amazingly fit wife already. He then went on to be buried by Taker. The rest of the guys weren't even made to look like stars apart from 1...RVD, he's the only one and that was kinda because fan support was so behind him.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts

WWF made 480 million in 2000 from overall revenue, you couldn't tell me with the shit they had (like wasting it on the XFL) that they couldn't buy out the AOL contracts or give the top wrestlers a much bigger offer to persuade them to join ?

the WCW roster that joined in 01 had only one legit established star, DDP (Booker's rise was in 2000 the year WCW was shit and lost half the viewers), and they mishandled him badly

there were none of the guys in WCW that a 90's kid dreamed of having them feud with the guys from WWF

·
Registered
2,493 Posts

Yeah this angle failed and still gave us the greatest Survivor Series ME of all time:lol

·
Banned
859 Posts

WWF made 480 million in 2000 from overall revenue, you couldn't tell me with the shit they had (like wasting it on the XFL) that they couldn't buy out the AOL contracts or give the top wrestlers a much bigger offer to persuade them to join ?

the WCW roster that joined in 01 had only one legit established star, DDP (Booker's rise was in 2000 the year WCW was shit and lost half the viewers), and they mishandled him badly

there were none of the guys in WCW that a 90's kid dreamed of having them feud with the guys from WWF
this year will end up making more than $500 million :dance

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts

I agree a lot of it was out of their control. Should they have tried to sign Goldberg? Yes. Fact is WCW's roster already was pretty shit when they bought the company. Also you couldn't wait too long with the invasion. They just bought the company, everyone knew. They needed to pull the trigger on that shit ASAP to capitalize on the momentum and with WCW still fresh on their minds.

The top stars that they got in the deal were Booker T and DDP. That's horrible. They should have put Booker T over a bit more but still, a lot of WWF fans probably didn't even know he was a big deal in WCW. Are you going to put him over one of your established top WWF stars? As for DDP, I'm sorry but he looked like an old fart. It was time for DDP to hang up his boots. I wouldn't have pushed him as a main eventer either. The invasion needed Bischoff, Goldberg, Steiner and maybe someone like Nash. As for WWF guys joining the Alliance, Big Show and Jericho would have made much more sense than Austin. It would have been a great time to put those two guys on the map.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts

As a kid up until the invasion the WWF could do no wrong in my eyes. Everything they did i totally bought into and loved then the Invasion happened and I for the first time since 96 I felt as if wrestling was getting stupid. Everything was just so rushed and random with no big stars. Heres my mini booking of the Invasion:

Have DDP and Scott Steiner lead WCW as a good cop/bad cop duo. WCW is losing so Scott Steiner says hes sick of doing it the fair way and brings in the NWO, DDP realizes this will do too much harm so brings in Goldberg to counter them and eventually WCW implodes.

·
L’APPEL DU VIDE
5,458 Posts

I disagree and I'll tell you for why...

1) Everybody wants to spend more time with their family, you know why they don't? Because they're offered too much money to turn down. This is what WWE should have done with Sting. WWE left hundreds of millions of dollars on the table when they half assed the InVasion angle because they wanted to go the cheap route and a guy like Sting is who should be your #1 draft pick.

Bischoff would have joined for the money, just like everybody else. He was burnt out with WCW at that time and after the failed take-over bid, would have had a ready made storyline for his re-capture of WCW and then a ready made storyline of trying to get WCW to wipe WWF off the map. So rather than making the show all about the McMahon's, they could have pout real life beef and stories into the show.

2) If they were injured (I can't remember) then fair enough, there's nothing you could do about those 2 guys.

3) You have to speculate to accumulate, especially in the entertainment business. You have to provide the top names if you want to draw a big audience so leaving the top names out because they'd cost too much is something a low budget company would do, not the biggest company in the entire history of the industry. Do you think companies like Apple would purposely avoid hiring a guy they think could do top business for them because he's demanding them to double his wages? Of course not, they're Apple. They'll hire him, making him filthy rich and make a ton of money off of him.

Vince has proved time and time again that it doesn't matter how much people want and how much they put the pressure on WWE during negotiations, he'll still hire them if it's "best for business." Lesnar and Rock are great examples. 2 guys who were brought in to boost PPV buys and Vince had to bend over to come to terms. Making them the stars of the show after so long away, paying them millions for few appearances...and even the appearances are dictated by those talents. Vince could have easily done this with WCW too but he was riding the wave, got lazy and steam rolled his own new company.

Look at guys like Booker T. When he debuted the Rock pretended that he didn't even know who he was, instant burial. DDP, debuted as a weird stalker...even though all the fans knew he had an amazingly fit wife already. He then went on to be buried by Taker. The rest of the guys weren't even made to look like stars apart from 1...RVD, he's the only one and that was kinda because fan support was so behind him.
Agreed on most of your points.

I do think however that they had reason to not trust Bischoff at the time. I'd assume he was pissed about the buyout after his failed bid to gather enough funds and if anyone was ballsy enough to shoot on the air it would have been him. I wouldn't have let him on the air around that time either. Especially with the way they treated WCW in the storyline.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts

You know the booking got completely silly and out of hand when guys like Test and Christian joined the Alliance and won midcard titles and they used them as a way to show what a "threat" the Alliance was. Instead of those two WWF guys that nobody associates with WCW/ECW, why not give Lance Storm, Kanyon or Mike Awesome that chance to shine?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts