Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Evolution stable dominated Raw from 2003(or 2002 if you include Triple H/Ric Flair feuding with RVD, Kane and Booker T(2003)) to early 2005. It was a modern version of the Four Horsemen with Triple H beign the "Ric Flair" of it and Randy Orton and Batista representing the future.

My question is, did anyone actually enjoy this stable? I started watching wrestling in Summer of 2004 since WWE returned to national TV after about 10 years and everytime a WWE show debuts in a network overseas they only send a 45 minute episode so the whole show was pretty much about them even more than the original uncut version. I really hated Triple H at the time because he was just so damn boring with his 20 minute promos that were all the same and orto nand Batista didn't interest me one bit and if I remember it correctly neither did most of the crowd, they went dead everytime Orton and especially Batista opened their mouth/wrestled.

The problem is, there wasn't a Top Face on Raw in 2004 who could stand up against them and get the fans behind him. Triple H beat everyone, Bischoff the General Manager didn't have a problem with him being World Heavyweight Champion and thsis jsut made the whole thing boring. They tried to make Orton into a babyface but it flopped miserably and he only beat Triple H once at a PPV and a couple of times on Raw, that wasn't convincing at all.

Also, when I look back at Triple H's promos back then he seemed kind of forced, I mean after I checked Triple H's History in the WWE it really didn't make much sense that a guy like him went fro ma Degenerate-Rebel-Funny guy to a Badass to a guy wearing suits and trying to act liek Ric Flair and riding limousines and private jets. I'm sure many of you thought the same thing as well.

What's interesting is that I barely remember anything that this stable did in their prime, I can only recall the tiems where Triple H was about to lose a match and then Flair and Batista would run in and beat down Triple H's opponent. And who can forget about their disband? Batista slow Face turn and beatign Triple H clean 3 times in a row was the hottest feud in 2005, he instantly became a favorite of mine and many others overnight and we just wanted him to kick Triple H's ass, kinda strange.

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
The best part of Evolution was the last three months of it. The Batista/Triple H conflict and breakdown is one of the best executed feuds of all time in the WWE.

·
Administrator
59,011 Posts
I liked Evolution when all four members were fully involved in the group. I liked the style and presentation that creative gave Evolution, as I think it was the perfect idea to build up both Randy Orton and Batista with Triple H & Flair on their side.

The only thing I didn't like was that Triple H seemed too much like Flair. From his hair to the suits.

I didn't like Evolution as much when Orton left the group. I remember hearing that there was an idea thrown around of having Evolution turn on Triple H after Orton won the World Title. I wanted to see that as I think it would of made for interesting TV. Maybe Triple H could of reunited with HBK at that point to form a DX vs Evolution stable.

·
Registered
560 Posts
this has obviously been building up in your for the last 6 years haha. But I stopped tuning in regularly once Evolution was formed. All it became was repetitive Ric Flair week in and out, same lines from glory days and WCW, still happening now in TNA.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I stopped watching WWE during that period, so I missed out on most of it tbf. What ive seen though it was planned out pretty good and help eventually to get Batista and Orton over.

Maybe a stable similar should be done if Cena turns heel, to push some of the midcard wrestlers to the main event.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I enjoyed it helped the carrer of Orton and( unfortunately) Batista. But I enjoyed HHH helping those guys

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
Putting aside that it was one of the (if not the) most entertaining stables ever. Evolution was how exactly a stable should be booked. You had the legend, the veteran, and the two rookies. The stable had it's run dominating, had it's TV time, promoted the rookies. And when it came down to showing the cracks and splitting the stable up the Legend and the Veteran put over the rookies. Perfect booking to be honest.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
IMO evolution made Raw great during late 2002-early 2005.......Overall WWE made them look unstoppable and the great thing about evolution was the only way they could be stopped was by themselves.....They way evolution disband was probably the best way the WWE disband a stable ever....They disbanded because of HHH's selfishness of wanting to be the World Heavyweight Champion....They kick Orton out when he became Champion and they took the title from him....Then Orton convinces Batista that HHH is holding him back from gaining the title so Batista turned on him and took the title away from him....Then HHH goes on hiatus and while he was gone Flair wins the IC title for the first time in his career, HHH comes back and turns on him....

IMO Evolution was one of the best booked stables in WWE history going from being the most powerful entity in professional wrestling by holding all the gold to imploding from within because of HHH's greed and obsession for staying on top of Raw

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
IMO evolution made Raw great during late 2002-early 2005.......Overall WWE made them look unstoppable and the great thing about evolution was the only way they could be stopped was by themselves.....They way evolution disband was probably the best way the WWE disband a stable ever....They disbanded because of HHH's selfishness of wanting to be the World Heavyweight Champion....They kick Orton out when he became Champion and they took the title from him....Then Orton convinces Batista that HHH is holding him back from gaining the title so Batista turned on him and took the title away from him....Then HHH goes on hiatus and while he was gone Flair wins the IC title for the first time in his career, HHH comes back and turns on him....

IMO Evolution was one of the best booked stables in WWE history going from being the most powerful entity in professional wrestling by holding all the gold to imploding from within because of HHH's greed and obsession for staying on top of Raw

When you look back on it, you're right. But I will admit during the time, their were alotta boring moments for me. The group lasted almost as long as The nWo too. About 2 1/2 years. But like I said, looking back it was done probably better because it was maticulously booked and the breakdown was a huge pay-off.

·
"Night's Watch! With Me!"
8,030 Posts
Putting aside that it was one of the (if not the) most entertaining stables ever. Evolution was how exactly a stable should be booked. You had the legend, the veteran, and the two rookies. The stable had it's run dominating, had it's TV time, promoted the rookies. And when it came down to showing the cracks and splitting the stable up the Legend and the Veteran put over the rookies. Perfect booking to be honest.

This.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Incredible stable. HHH used evolution to the point that no one could touch him, like the elimination chamber match when goldberg was after the title.
Flair was just being flair, but got his hands dirty when he needed too, and despite his age that shows amazing determination.
Orton started to gain insane recognition as a part of evolution, as well as part time becoming the 'Legend Killer' and dominating a different legend each ppv. (MUCH better than the 'viper' bullshit he has going on now. Feels nothing close to 'texas rattlesnake'.)
Batista was serious muscle. Just the one that could lay down a brutal beating on multiple tag teams, i beleive he and flair held the tag titles at some point.

Plus the wrestlemania match between Evolution and the Rock (And two other people, dont remember.)

They fitted perfectly as the dominant force on raw, and complemented Lesnar as the dominant force on smackdown.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I really like Evolution, one of my favourite stables in Wrestling. I loved way they were booked because they looked strong, they had all the gold (It rare that stable has all titles). Plus, they had their own storylines with HHH feuding with Goldberg and HBK, Batista & Flair in the Tag Team division for a short period and Randy Orton feuding with Mick Foley and ending Austin career at SS 2003.

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
Evolution were the epitome of badass. From their presentation to the way the carried themselves to the suits to the (EPIC) theme music to the titles. Just everything about them screamed awesome and they all played their roles to perfection.

All you have to do is watch the entrance theme and it immediately gives off the right vibe - epic.

I actually just wanted an excuse to post possibly the best theme music ever lol :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Evolution were the epitome of badass. From their presentation to the way the carried themselves to the suits to the (EPIC) theme music to the titles. Just everything about them screamed awesome and they all played their roles to perfection.

All you have to do is watch the entrance theme and it immediately gives off the right vibe - epic.

I actually just wanted an excuse to post possibly the best theme music ever lol :D
Agreed 100%. Perfectly booked, and the guys executed their roles perfectly. Really catapulted both Orton and Batista's careers. Their persona was excellent and all the guys were BELIEVABLE in their roles. The women, the cars, the money, the fame, the titles. THAT was Evolution, last great stable in wrestling thus far. Trips doesn't get as much credit as he should though.

And a +1 to their theme being freaking awesome!

·
Banned
18,557 Posts
The problem is, there wasn't a Top Face on Raw in 2004 who could stand up against them and get the fans behind him. Triple H beat everyone, Bischoff the General Manager didn't have a problem with him being World Heavyweight Champion and thsis jsut made the whole thing boring. They tried to make Orton into a babyface but it flopped miserably and he only beat Triple H once at a PPV and a couple of times on Raw, that wasn't convincing at all.
This. Evolution was great, but Triple H was too much of a control freak to let anybody get the upperhand over him and his group. I wish they would've stayed with Orton being the main focus of the show instead of dicking him around before dropping him like a habit in favor of Batista. Contrary to revisionist history, Orton was OVER back then, but you can only have a guy chase the title for so long before the fans give up on him. Shitty booking played a big part in Orton being held back so long before he finally came back on his own in 2007.

- Vic

·
Registered
97 Posts
Best faction/stable ever imo...

considering what Ric had accomplished in the past, what HHH was at that time (THE BEST and probably stil is) and what became of Batista and Randy after the group disbanded

once again one of the best ever

·
Registered
97 Posts
Incredible stable. HHH used evolution to the point that no one could touch him, like the elimination chamber match when goldberg was after the title.
Flair was just being flair, but got his hands dirty when he needed too, and despite his age that shows amazing determination.
Orton started to gain insane recognition as a part of evolution, as well as part time becoming the 'Legend Killer' and dominating a different legend each ppv. (MUCH better than the 'viper' bullshit he has going on now. Feels nothing close to 'texas rattlesnake'.)
Batista was serious muscle. Just the one that could lay down a brutal beating on multiple tag teams, i beleive he and flair held the tag titles at some point.

Plus the wrestlemania match between Evolution and the Rock (And two other people, dont remember.)

They fitted perfectly as the dominant force on raw, and complemented Lesnar as the dominant force on smackdown.
"The Viper" isnt being modeled to imitate "The Rattle Snake" 2 totally different attitudes and styles

"the viper" plays on Randy's quick strike ability and how he can hit a surprise RKO at any time and also on how he "coils up" as he gets ready to deliver the RKO

the "rattle snake" was based off of austins aggressiveness in the ring... and the fact that he is from texas lol (The Texas Rattle snake)

2 totally different styles...

also i like "The viper" more than "the legend killer"
the legend killers material got very old very fast.... it was the same thing every month rehashed for the next legend they put him up against with very rare peaks such as Mick Foley

·
Banned
2,673 Posts
This. Evolution was great, but Triple H was too much of a control freak to let anybody get the upperhand over him and his group. I wish they would've stayed with Orton being the main focus of the show instead of dicking him around before dropping him like a habit in favor of Batista. Contrary to revisionist history, Orton was OVER back then, but you can only have a guy chase the title for so long before the fans give up on him. Shitty booking played a big part in Orton being held back so long before he finally came back on his own in 2007.

- Vic
Orton was indeed over as a face. That's for sure.

The problem was his face rise wasn't doing anything for business. Contrast it to Batista's rise where house show revenue began to increase, as did ratings (Batista managed to several ratings above 4.0 - his first being the night after winning the Royal Rumble, Raw's first in 9 months), and there was buzz around the product at the time because people felt something new was coming.

In hindsight, while Orton may have been over, going with Batista was one of the smartest decisions they've made. Especially when you consider they set, at the time, a record buyrate with Wrestlemania 21 with Batista/Triple H headlined as the hottest angle.

Orton was over as a face but he wasn't doing what WWE needed, improving business and generating interest. In that respect, his face turn was a huge flop in comparison to Batista's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts