Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Mamba Mentality
25,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

“Marvel Studios’ The Eternals features an exciting new team of Super Heroes in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, ancient aliens who have been living on Earth in secret for thousands of years. Following the events of Avengers: Endgame, an unexpected tragedy forces them out of the shadows to reunite against mankind’s most ancient enemy, The Deviants.

The outstanding ensemble cast include Richard Madden as the all-powerful Ikaris, Gemma Chan as humankind-loving Sersi, Kumail Nanjiani as the cosmic-powered Kingo, Lauren Ridloff as the super-fast Makkari, Brian Tyree Henry as the intelligent inventor Phastos, Salma Hayak as the wise and spiritual leader Ajak, Lia McHugh as the eternally young, old-coul Sprite, Don Lee as the powerful Gilgamesh, Barry Keoghan as the aloof longer Druig, and Angelina Jolie as the fierce warrior Thena. Kit Harrington was cast as Dane Whitman.

Directed by Chloe Zhao, who helmed the critically acclaimed Sundance film The Rider, and produced by Kevin Feige, The Eternals opens in U.S. theaters on November 6, 2020.”

·
Mamba Mentality
25,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More details & background on the characters:
“The Eternals” have arrived.

The first film announced at Marvel’s San Diego Comic-Con presentation on Saturday, unarguably the hottest ticket of the weekend, confirmed months of speculation by unveiling its cast: Angelina Jolie, Salma Hayek, Richard Madden, Brian Tyree Henry, Kumail Nanjiani, Lauren Ridloff and Don Lee will star as 35,000 -year-old aliens.

“This movie will allow those who have never felt represented in movies, in this case superheroes, to be represented. I love my diverse family,” Hayek said on stage.

A release date for the movie has also been revealed: November 6, 2020.

Here’s some background on the comics:

Who are the Eternals?

In the comics, the Eternals were created millions of years ago from alien experiments on ancient humans. While still physically resembling regular people, they gained powerful abilities, like super strength, flight, teleportation, mind control, shape-shifting and energy projection. They lived in space cities and defended Earth from threats, like the Deviants, another race of super-humans that were more destructive and deformed. Since they’ve existed throughout history, many of the Eternals have lived among humans at times and inspired ancient Greek, Roman and Norse myths. There are a few dozen Eternals in the comics, but the movie is said to focus mainly on two of the most prominent ones named Sersi and Ikaris.

MCU connections

The upcoming film may have several links to the MCU that would greatly expand the mythos. In the comics, Thanos, the MCU’s ultimate baddie, was an Eternal with genes from their evil counterparts, the Deviants. His purple skin resembled the Deviants, and the Eternals feared that he was a herald of death, which would later be proven true. Even though he died in “Avengers: Endgame,” Thanos’ backstory could be further explored.

The Celestials, even older, godlike beings, created the Eternals millions of years, and one of them appeared in “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.” Ego, the main villain played by Kurt Russel, was a Celestial with the power to shapeshift and transform planets. He fathered countless children across the universe in hopes one of them would inherit his Celestial powers, and he was soon defeated by his son Starlord and the Guardians of the Galaxy. If “The Eternals” showed the origins of the superheroes, Russel might pop up as one of their Celestial creators.

Finally, the Celestials in the comics also created the shape-shifting Skrulls that debuted in “Captain Marvel.” Millions of years ago, the Celestials split the aliens into three races: one with the Eternals’ powers, one with the Deviant ability to shapeshift, and one with no powers. The Deviant group wiped out all the others, leaving the shape-shifters that fans have come to know. However, most of the Skrulls now appear to be a peaceful race in the MCU and have worked alongside a few of our heroes.
Source: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/the-eternals-marvel-cast-plot-release-date-1203261276/?fbclid=IwAR0lNQ-EzSjEV_ktHLuffkO4PiDVsEDxyIuRf-V41Tk7NIk9sYFscU9ayN0

Madly hyped for this movie - the cast is so great, and I can already see they have amazing chemistry based on the photos together. Getting Selma Hayek and Angelina Jolie are big coups.

·
BIG KAIJU~
5,987 Posts
Another gamble I feel for Marvel like with Guardians of the Galaxy. Only a core group of people knew about them and myself and it worked out for them, and The Eternals is something I know nothing about so I'm the audience they'll want to grab to see the film. Pull me in baby..PULL ME IN!

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Eh, not looking good so far. Unless the director manages to pull out a James Gunn like story telling, the movie isn't going to do well.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Another gamble I feel for Marvel like with Guardians of the Galaxy.
Eh, not looking good so far. Unless the director manages to pull out a James Gunn like story telling, the movie isn't going to do well.
:What?
When it comes to the MCU how aren't people beyond these thoughts until they at least see an actual trailer first? Marvel is one of the few properties they have earned the trust of the fans.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
This has to be the weirdest cast and director in the MCU. Feels like the first trailer need to be really memorable like GoTG to grab attention or this could end up like Solo of Star Wars. Fans will still watch but the wider audience might just give it a pass.

·
Mamba Mentality
25,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Gemma Chan in Talks to Join Marvel’s ‘The Eternals’

“Crazy Rich Asians” star Gemma Chan is in talks to join Marvel’s “The Eternals” sources tell Variety.

Chan would join previously announced cast members Angelina Jolie, Richard Madden, Brian Tyree Henry, Salma Hayek and Kumail Nanjiani. Earlier this year, Chan portrayed Minn-Erva in “Captain Marvel,” but it's unknown if she will be playing the same role in “The Eternals.” Some sources have indicated that her part in “The Eternals” would be a completely different role, which if true, would mark one of the first times a star will have played two different characters in the same cinematic universe.

Marvel declined to comment.

Created by Jack Kirby in 1976, the comic book is set millions of years in the past, when the cosmic beings known as the Celestials genetically experimented on humans to create super-powered individuals known as the Eternals, along with the villainous Deviants. The two groups battled each other throughout history. The Eternals also warred with Greek, Roman and Norse deities before leaving Earth to explore the stars.

“The Eternals” will be the 25th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It’s set to hit theaters Nov. 6, 2020.

Chloe Zhao, whose credits include “The Rider” and “Songs My Brothers Taught Me,” is directing “The Eternals” from a script by Matthew and Ryan Firpo. Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige will produce.

Outside of “Captain Marvel,” Chan was a scene-stealer in Warner Bros.’ breakout hit “Crazy Rich Asians.” She was also seen in the Focus drama “Mary Queen of Scots” with Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie. She is repped by WME and Independent Talent Group.

Source: https://variety.com/2019/film/news/gemma-chan-eternals-marvel-1203290315/?fbclid=IwAR15z5EDZl06geraBc6g6GaqDik27MyTzJEz8oSD-NzJbJrtH_Be-ZqrgVA
Interesting Gemma will play a completely different MCU character in this movie. Marvel Studios must strongly believe she is made for whatever role she has been casted in.

I think Gemma will lead The Eternals as Sersi.

·
Premium Member
43,818 Posts
Marvel is in a weird place right now. With Endgame, I kind of feel like I'm done seeing every single goddamn Marvel movie just to keep pace with the larger story.

I got my ending, I'm good. Its hard for me to want to jump right back into it and have to watch 20 more movies again.

I want to keep up with Spidey and whatever Thor and the Guardians are up to, but other than that...yeah, I'm good. With the Fox purchase, maybe I'll check out what they do with X-Men and Fantastic Four, but I'm kind of burnt out on X-Men as well, so that's going to be hard to want to get back into.

And you honestly could not pay me to give a crap about The Eternals. I remember a few years ago when Marvel was really pushing hard on the Inhumans and I couldn't give a crap about them. I think I give even less of a crap about The Eternals, lol.

Now some people will say "But look at the Guardians of the Galaxy? They were C listers that got turned into top stars through the movies" and that is true...but I kinda liked The Guardians books before the movie came out, so I at least had something. Inhumans and Eternals? Yeah, never gave a crap.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Marvel is in a weird place right now. With Endgame, I kind of feel like I'm done seeing every single goddamn Marvel movie just to keep pace with the larger story.

I got my ending, I'm good. Its hard for me to want to jump right back into it and have to watch 20 more movies again.

I want to keep up with Spidey and whatever Thor and the Guardians are up to, but other than that...yeah, I'm good. With the Fox purchase, maybe I'll check out what they do with X-Men and Fantastic Four, but I'm kind of burnt out on X-Men as well, so that's going to be hard to want to get back into.

And you honestly could not pay me to give a crap about The Eternals. I remember a few years ago when Marvel was really pushing hard on the Inhumans and I couldn't give a crap about them. I think I give even less of a crap about The Eternals, lol.

Now some people will say "But look at the Guardians of the Galaxy? They were C listers that got turned into top stars through the movies" and that is true...but I kinda liked The Guardians books before the movie came out, so I at least had something. Inhumans and Eternals? Yeah, never gave a crap.
I don't care about the Eternals either but, look at it this day: It's not just that Marvel Studios already turned rather obscure characters into huge hits, and for that alone everybody who liked GotG or Ant-Man should go and watch the trailer whenever it cames out just in case. But also that a Eternals movie can provide a lot more than just these guys. I mean:
- The deviants maybe will give us more about Thanos' backstory.
- The Celestials are surely going to be a huge part of the cosmic side of the MCU, as they were already introduced in GotG. And they look rad.
- Also, even if the characters themselves don't look that much interesting, "the Eternals" is a cherished Jack Kirby creation and that makes it even more probably it will turn out good.

And I'm sure The Eternals can expand the lore of the MCU in much more surprising and fascinating ways but I don't want to speculate too much.

·
Premium Member
2,171 Posts
Cue the usual responses from people saying it looks shit without seeing anything from the film yet. It's incredible how some people can pass judgement on a film from one casual cast photo

·
Registered
2,755 Posts

Tbh, I think a lot of people think that way. Endgame was the culmination of a story spanning 10+ years, it’s hard to reinvest yourself after that and it’s a good stopping off point. However, although part of me would be happy to call it quits there, I’ll continue to follow the series because it will continue to feature some of the original characters like Thor and the Guardians of the Galaxy. If they’d phased them out after Endgame, and just focused solely on these new characters, I very much doubt I’d have had any interest.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
This is a big gamble for them, but they managed to make The Guardians of the Galaxy a household name, so I have total confidence in them.

·
Mamba Mentality
25,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good thing we have plenty of time to get as familiar (as we choose) with The Eternals before the movie releases in theaters. I have no doubt Marvel Studios will do a fine job establishing these characters and tell a compelling story that takes us further into the cosmos.

·
The Man Comes Around
8,486 Posts
Re: Kit Harington to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Kit Harington joins Marvel's The Eternals for Game of Thrones reunion with Richard Madden
All hail the Kings in the North!

Game of Thrones star Kit Harington‘s secret Marvel role has been revealed. He is joining the cast The Eternals, bringing the film’s Stark family count up to two.

The news was announced at Disney’s fan expo D23 on Saturday. Although the former King in the North wasn’t in attendance, his predecessor was. Harington’s Stark brother/cousin/previous King in the North Richard Madden was part of the cast announced at San Diego Comic-Con, along with Angelina Jolie.

And on another Thrones-ish note, Gemma Chan (Crazy Rich Asians) is joining the Eternals cast as a character named Sersi.

Harington will play a character named Dane Whitman. Dunkirk’s Barry Keoghan was also added to the cast as a character named Druid. The previously announced cast includes Jolie as Thena, Madden as Icarus, Kumail Nanjiani as Kingo, Lauren Ridloff as Makkari, Brian Tyree Henry as Phastos, Salma Hayek as Ajak, Lia McHugh as Sprite, and Don Lee as the villain Gilgamesh.

The Rider’s Chloe Zhao is directing the film, which centers on a race of never-aging, never-fading figures. The Eternals were created by the powerful godlike creatures known as the Celestials, and since their birth thousands of years ago, they’ve kept watch over the Earth throughout human history. (They’ve also clashed time and time again with their eternal nemeses: the Deviants, a twisted, hideous group also created by the Celestials).

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
Re: Kit Harington to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Dane Whitman aka Black Knight

Powers and abilities

The Black Knight was originally a normal athletic human being with no superhuman powers. While sharing the gann josin with Sersi, his strength, speed, and other physical abilities were mildly enhanced. After the gann josin link was broken, Whitman returned to being a normal human being. As part of his new role as the Pendragon, however, Whitman has gained minor mystical abilities, such as the ability to see through mystical illusions by looking "past the mundane."

Whitman is an excellent swordsman whose skills have allowed him to best Swordsman in combat. He is also an excellent fighter in general, able to hold his own against such skilled fighters as Captain America and Wolverine. He is also an expert horseman. Additionally, Whitman started out as a scientist, though specializing in physics (having earned a master's degree in physics), he is proficient in a wide array of advanced sciences and technologies, including genetic and mechanical engineering, and continues to approach things from a scientific perspective more often than not, despite his ties to the world of magic. He has also demonstrated good leadership skills as leader of both the Avengers and Ultraforce. He has strong strategic and tactical skills.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts